Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
We are in Wake county and I am assuming since NC adopted common core the rest of the state is doing this also?

My daughter is in 5th grade. She is extremely good in math. Is anyone else outraged by the new method of teaching math? Base 10 blocks --grids--number lines? no more standard algorithm?
I'm not a common core fan, but taught math for over 20 years. Blocks, grids, and lines are good tools that can help children understand decimal concepts. From what I've read on city-data, though, in some classrooms teachers are teaching the tools rather than using the tools to teach concepts. I also wouldn't send that kind of homework home because it upsets the parents. Teachers should teach the concepts AND the algorithms, then send home some practice problems that the children can do independently.

What bothers me more than that, though, is the emphasis on communicating. There have always been students whose aptitude for math allows them to excel far beyond their verbal abilities. Tying the two together too tightly hinders those students and keeps them "average." Perhaps that makes educators more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I work in a public library...twice this week alone parents have come in and asked for a test prep book for their kids on math. Kindergarten math. Middle of the year, teachers put the pressure on parents to provide reinforcement that THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROVIDE. They give no guidelines on how the parents are supposed to accomplish this.

The library doesn't have math workbooks. We do have books for teachers with math activities for the classroom. Does the average parent know how to implement that at home? I can do the math, but I don't know the lingo and the process the teachers need the students to master.

If teachers want parents to work with kids at home, they need to send home specific activities. Sheesh!

Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Very simple:

Khan Academy
LearnZillion
IXL

All on line. First two provide instruction, the third will let you work 20 Problems a day, free.

You are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina