Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,291 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I am currently looking to relocate to Cabarrus County. I have 2 children ages 5 and 9 and was wondering how the school system is in this county. Most specifically- from where we may build a home- we are zoned for Bethel Elementary. Based on EOG scores- the school is ranked 7 out of 10. How heavily do I rely on that score? Has anyone on here experienced this elementary school? I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow1958 View Post
Hi, I jumped in here because I am also in NY and seriously considering NC as my final move - before I put more though, I am not sure how this whole forum, thread... deal works - was looking for a nutshell version of it somewhere - been outta tech zone in a developing country and then a caregiver so I am way out of the loop on online stuff most people seem to know, can someone direct me to a good info site so I don't misstep. Do you have to post your own question, be the originator, or can you join in on one that fits when you are seeking info too?
You can jump in another thread, but it may be confusing to know which answers are for you and which are for the OP (original poster).

The best thing is to read the many, many threads already existing on relocation; there is scarcely a question that hasn't been asked, and answered, 100 times in the past few months. .Then if you have narrowed it down to an area and still have questions particular to your own situation, aksing pointed questions reaps the most useful answers.

To address one of the OP's concerns above, NC does sell beer/wine, but not liquor (which is only available at state-run stores), on Sundays (after noon).

Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,220 times
i stumbled on this thread from an internet search...and i too am looking for my "ideal" county in nc, and yes, a life long new york city resident finally at his breaking point of frustration, dreaming to own a minimum of 5 acres to build (or already have) a large enough workshop footsteps from home, to earn a modest income independently without the need of commercial rental, store front... ive been an auto and currently for the last 10 years a motorcycle mechanic, and its time i move on to work for myself, the problem is i feel if i went into business here in ny for myself, id be financially trapped forever in a city i have dark bitterness for

heres the deal, i feel, even though i was born in the big city, have survived many city pitfalls and live smart enough to spend with in my means, i have never felt that my career, interest, hobbies, politics even the way i dress fits with the urban sprawl... my long term girlfriend also shares the feeling, as she wants to pursue her field of restaurant management/chef on her own, we both want independence in our fields and a feeling of belonging to a community that shares a warmth, almost family like, if we could find a real home to settle and slow down, we really feel we could finally start our family, and actually live a life we want instead of settle for this prison called the greatest city on earth

we have modest savings, the searching through different counties show we could nearly outright own a home, have some land and be close to needs and wants, my question is, what would be a good county to look into, i do like the idea of rural isolation, but not the idea of being 40 minutes from anything, more like just enough room from other homes so i can work all hours and not feel im disturbing neighbors, decent commute time to a slightly urban area for if we need a bit of people, low crime (obviously), but most of all, similar people with similar interests! yes, were native new yawkas, but far from the uptight liberal fascists were burdened with daily...

Old 04-18-2014, 07:12 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcnyc View Post
my question is, what would be a good county to look into, i do like the idea of rural isolation, but not the idea of being 40 minutes from anything....
The problem with your question is that there are 100 counties in North Carolina, and the majority of them are rural. There are probably 25 counties where you could buy several acres of land for a reasonable price. I suggest browsing some of the "country land" magazine or web-sites, get some ideas, and do some research on the main City-Data site.

Do you prefer being closer to mountains or to the ocean? If you would like being in the middle, then I'd suggest a few like Moore in the Sandhills, or Stanly or Davidson near Charlotte. I'd suggest being near Charlotte if you like Major League sports and NASCAR. I'd suggest being near the Triad or Triangle if you prefer college basketball.

So, I recommend narrowing it down some more.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:05 AM

3 posts, read 9,679 times
Raleigh was just named best city to raise a family by Forbes. We live downtown and love it. For real estate options try Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data - Trulia. Morrisville is an up and coming small town. Cary has a nice downtown area but is a bit larger than Morrisville. Apex also has a nice downtown area and is smaller than Cary. All are near Raleigh. Wake Forest is 30 minutes north of Raleigh and really nice too. If I was just moving here I'd look in WF but only as long as I didn't have to drive to Raleigh. The traffic is awful! If your husband ends up working in Raleigh then move to Morrisville. The traffic flow is the opposite since most are graving from Raleigh to RTP.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:07 AM

3 posts, read 9,679 times
Darn autocorrect! Most are driving* from Raleigh to RTP.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The problem with your question is that there are 100 counties in North Carolina, and the majority of them are rural. There are probably 25 counties where you could buy several acres of land for a reasonable price. I suggest browsing some of the "country land" magazine or web-sites, get some ideas, and do some research on the main City-Data site.

Do you prefer being closer to mountains or to the ocean? If you would like being in the middle, then I'd suggest a few like Moore in the Sandhills, or Stanly or Davidson near Charlotte. I'd suggest being near Charlotte if you like Major League sports and NASCAR. I'd suggest being near the Triad or Triangle if you prefer college basketball.

So, I recommend narrowing it down some more.
sorry to be so vague in which counties, i actually narrowed it a bit to mecklenburg, cabarrus, iredell, lincon using the city data maps, been trying to figure out which parts have the best space vs commute vs proximity of neighbors. im not a sports guy, or a big nascar fan, but enjoy auto/motorcycle sports i can involve myself in, not a hunter either but it would be something im interested in trying, for me the most important aspect is having a good chunk of land to work from, and im not talking starting auto repair in and out business, more to do with buy, repair and flip on my own time type of private deal

my girlfriends ultimate goal is to open her own restaurant, and hopefully be in an area that embraces a good menu and not bring a pretentious "new york" style place, so we would have to be somewhat close to a populated area looking for more than a quick fix fast food deal...

good people at a respectable distance would be great!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
sorry to be so vague in which counties, i actually narrowed it a bit to mecklenburg, cabarrus, iredell, lincon using the city data maps,
Good. If you have further questions, I suggest you post specifically in the Charlotte sub-forum. People there will be more knowledgeable about these counties. However, I believe that Mecklenburg is mostly urbanized and probably too expensive if you want acreage.

Iredell County might be a good location, as Statesville is the home of a huge auto wholesale business. Therefore lots of cars needing inspection or fixing.

I also think that a good restaurant would do well as the whole Charlotte area is growing.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
i stumbled on this thread from an internet search...and i too am looking for my "ideal" county in nc, and yes, a life long new york city resident finally at his breaking point of frustration, dreaming to own a minimum of 5 acres to build (or already have) a large enough workshop footsteps from home, to earn a modest income independently without the need of commercial rental, store front... ive been an auto and currently for the last 10 years a motorcycle mechanic, and its time i move on to work for myself, the problem is i feel if i went into business here in ny for myself, id be financially trapped forever in a city i have dark bitterness for

heres the deal, i feel, even though i was born in the big city, have survived many city pitfalls and live smart enough to spend with in my means, i have never felt that my career, interest, hobbies, politics even the way i dress fits with the urban sprawl... my long term girlfriend also shares the feeling, as she wants to pursue her field of restaurant management/chef on her own, we both want independence in our fields and a feeling of belonging to a community that shares a warmth, almost family like, if we could find a real home to settle and slow down, we really feel we could finally start our family, and actually live a life we want instead of settle for this prison called the greatest city on earth

we have modest savings, the searching through different counties show we could nearly outright own a home, have some land and be close to needs and wants, my question is, what would be a good county to look into, i do like the idea of rural isolation, but not the idea of being 40 minutes from anything, more like just enough room from other homes so i can work all hours and not feel im disturbing neighbors, decent commute time to a slightly urban area for if we need a bit of people, low crime (obviously), but most of all, similar people with similar interests! yes, were native new yawkas, but far from the uptight liberal fascists were burdened with daily...
You've mentioned why you want to get OUT of NYC, but that doesn't really say why you want to come TO North Carolina--as opposed to 49 other states that are "not NY"? For someone reason everyone in NYC thinks that NC is the one and ONLY option for those who hate where they are--I would suggest researching all kind of places unless there is a burning reason you MUST be in NC and have been here before and decided firsthand. Too many move here "because I heard it was a good place to move" without doing any other research on what is right for THEM. What kind of research have you done about what places you want to move TO?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM

10 posts, read 10,043 times
Thank you for all of this!! We are from NY as well and we are looking to make the move as well and its nice to see other people asking the questions that I was wondering as well!! We have friends and family who have moved to North Carolina and South Carolina, They are happy as can be. My husband comes there 1 or 2 times a year and we are coming together in August to check it out. I have researched a few areas, Florida is not for us Delaware is to cold Texas is to far California is not for us, Hawaii..well that's to far and just as expensive so we have come to the conclusion that the Carolinas is where we want to be..Just need to find the right town for us. Here is what I posted earlier
" Hello there. My name is Andrea, I a married with 2 children ages 19 and 9. (Our oldest is in the Navy im not sure why I put that here mostly because im so proud of him)We currently live in NY and we are looking to come to the Carolinas! The sooner the better..lol.. We have been scouring the internet look at so many different areas but I need some real people incite. What we are looking for is an area that has children for our 9 year old to be around, good schools and not in the city, we would like to be on the outskirts of the city. we would like to be able to get to the city easy though..i prefer lakes to the ocean, Im looking to have neighbors but not be on top of them(right now my neighbors are so close we share a driveway..Im over that) I like the warmer weather, I would love to have very mild winters, I would like a town that is active with in itself. I am a craft fair fanatic!! My son loves to play outside and loves sports as well.

My husband comes to the Carolinas SC yearly and loves it, hes a hunter and we have family and Friends in North Carolina, that's why we choose the Carolinas.

So if you could poss help me out we are looking to visit with in the next two months and we need a plan of action and a place to start that is why I have posted here!

Thank you "

So thank you in advanced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina