Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 AM

698 posts, read 959,543 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to NC, currently in FL (briefly) originally from VT (income tax)
Just me and the dog, so no big tax write offs for me

What's the tax situation like in NC?
What's the income tax rate? Clothing taxed? Food taxed?

Should I be considering SC instead?

Do I really want to leave a non income tax state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:17 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post

A recent article follows, as it is too complicated to explain briefly. We will have a flat income tax rate at 5.8% , with some exemptions for retirement income. Clothing is taxed at 6.75 - 7% depending on the locality. Food from the grocery store is taxed at with a 2% sales tax, pet food taxed at the regular sales tax rate. RALEIGH, N.C.: New tax changes in 2014 in North Carolina | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

In other word, the taxes aren't cheap. You certainly ought to consider SC or remaining in Florida.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
A recent article follows, as it is too complicated to explain briefly. We will have a flat income tax rate at 5.8% , with some exemptions for retirement income. Clothing is taxed at 6.75 - 7% depending on the locality. Food from the grocery store is taxed at with a 2% sales tax, pet food taxed at the regular sales tax rate. RALEIGH, N.C.: New tax changes in 2014 in North Carolina | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

In other word, the taxes aren't cheap. You certainly ought to consider SC or remaining in Florida.
Many of the folks I know who have been retired for some time in NC have chosen to have a condo or small residence of some type in Florida -- to escape during the winter and so they can claim Florida as their primary state residence. There is that much of a benefit to keeping their residency there.

But of course, I have no way of knowing what pensions they may have and how this is affected by taxes in NC. Just throwing that out there -- people find it that much of an advantage to keeping legal residency in Florida.

And you didn't state if you are thinking about moving b/c of retirement. You may be 30 and not interested in that info, lol!!! But in case you are interested in retiring here, I would do a LOT more research about all the benefits available in Florida that may not be here for retirees . . . those differences can end up being a significant amount of cash annually.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We will have a flat income tax rate at 5.8% , with some exemptions for retirement income. Clothing is taxed at 6.75 - 7% depending on the locality. Food from the grocery store is taxed at with a 2% sales tax, pet food taxed at the regular sales tax rate.
In other word, the taxes aren't cheap.
YIKES!!!!!

I'm sure glad I asked. That's even more expensive than Taxachussetts, where I lived most recently. Good grief, tax on food and clothes, that's ridiculous. 5.8% income tax, geesh!!!!

How's car registration and insurance? Do you pay property tax as well as sales tax on your vehicles?
Current price of gas?

A big minus for FL is the car insurance, mine doubled from VT to FL and my car is 7 yrs old and I have a clean record, no tickets or accidents

Looks like I do have some homework to do.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

But of course, I have no way of knowing what pensions they may have and how this is affected by taxes in NC. Just throwing that out there -- people find it that much of an advantage to keeping legal residency in Florida.

And you didn't state if you are thinking about moving b/c of retirement. You may be 30 and not interested in that info, lol!!!
No not 30 LOL, Middle aged
Retirement, what's that???????

You present an excellent point, many benefits for seniors in FL

All these folks with homes in two states may not be doing it legally, especially if they split their time evenly. Some states require more than 6 months per year to be a legal resident. and the DMV down here says your car should NOT be registered in FL if you are not physically here. Lots of folks are breaking the law I'm sure, but hey, if they don't get caught some would say that's okay.
Maybe taxes in NC wouldn't be so high if the FL folks were being honest about where their main residence really is.

Anyhow, off my soap box now, thanks for the thoughts!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 PM

494 posts, read 815,864 times
I paid $3.399 today for regular gas. Power bills will be taxed in July. Movies; Musicals; sporting events; service contacts; newspaper delivery; etc and now taxed as well.

Vehicles are considered property and there is a bill each year based on its value.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:13 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
In all honesty, I have never known anyone from NC to consider it cheap to live there. It is simply home.

Now it may be cheaper than other places if you have independent income. I can see that being the case.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:48 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
How's car registration and insurance? Do you pay property tax as well as sales tax on your vehicles?
Current price of gas?
There is a stiff tax on the current value of your vehicle when you bring it into the state, maybe 7% of the blue-book value. Then there is an annual property tax in addition to the registration. That's not bad, and mine was $80 on a car worth about $10K. The car insurance isn't bad, but we don't commute for work, so YMMV. As the other person said, gas is about $3.40/gallon and it has gone down since summer.

The more positive aspect of living in North Carolina is that property taxes and the cost of real estate are lower than they were in Maryland.

If you really want the lowest cost of living possible, you might do more research.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
I'm considering a move to NC, currently in FL (briefly) originally from VT (income tax)
Just me and the dog, so no big tax write offs for me

It JUST changed, as of Jan 1. You could Google and read lots of details, more than we'll be able to remember here.

Bottom line--state income tax rate dropped a little, but they are adding taxes to a lot of things, including services, concert/theater tickets, etc. In general, the impression is that unless you're super-rich, you'll come out a little behind from last year. But that doesn't tell you how it compares to where you're coming from--I'd do my own searching online for that kind of thing.

We can't answer the question as to whether YOU would rather leave a non-income tax state. But if you're just "shopping around" for a new state and taxes are a big issue for you, NC is probably not high on your list, especially since the new law.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:15 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,541 times
Quote:
YIKES!!!!!

I'm sure glad I asked. That's even more expensive than Taxachussetts, where I lived most recently. Good grief, tax on food and clothes, that's ridiculous. 5.8% income tax, geesh!!!!

Current price of gas?

A big minus for FL is the car insurance, mine doubled from VT to FL and my car is 7 yrs old and I have a clean record, no tickets or accidents

Looks like I do have some homework to do.
I'm also from MA. Tax savings in NC comes from property taxes. The rates are about the same, but you can get much more home down here for less. For example, I sold a $420k home in Central MA and bought a $370k home here with 1500 more square feet. Similar towns. Fees are less here too. IE drivers license, registration. Car insurance is much cheaper here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina