Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 PM

41 posts, read 66,069 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're looking at a development in Angiers called Johnson's Landing. We'd been looking to relocate to the Raleigh area and have seen homes in Raleigh, Durham, Wake Forest, and Fuquay-Varina. We don't know much about Angiers and it appears that this development is barely in Angiers, as it borders F-V, which we hear has grown quite a bit in the last few years. It's in Wake County, rather than Johnson, if that makes any difference. So, what we need to know is how racially diverse the area is. We're a family of color and have been warned off of Fuquay, Garner, Wendell and a few other areas, but Angiers was not among them, probably because we hadn't seen anything out that way. We are looking for a nice, quiet community where our kids can feel comfortable hanging out at the pool or riding their bikes and my husband and I are not looked upon as oddities or worse, a threat, when we go to the market. I hate to even ask the question, but having grown up in Long Island in the 70's, before it became more racially diverse, I shudder at the thought of my kids going through what my bi-racial family went through. Please be honest, I won't be offended. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 05:35 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Angier (singular) is out there if you are looking to commute to Raleigh or the Research park but it' not that far from Fuquay - although it certainly feels more country. I am surprised anyone would warm you about being a racially diverse family in the Raleigh/Durham area. Most neighborhoods have people not only from all over the U.S. but plenty of foreign citizens as well. I think if you look at any of the closer suburbs of Raleigh or Durham you and your family will fit right in (Apex, Morrisville, Cary, Holly Springs).

Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Is there some reason you keep looking so far outside the core of the Triangle? Is it money?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 PM

41 posts, read 66,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Is there some reason you keep looking so far outside the core of the Triangle? Is it money?
I plotted it out on Google Maps from Johnson's Landing to downtown Raleigh and it was only 30 mins. For us, coming from NYC, 30-60 mins is nothing for a commute. When we lived on Long Island, our commute was anywhere from 90 mins to 2 hours. Even now, in Brooklyn, it takes my husband at least an hour to do drop offs and get to the office on time and my commute (by train) is an hour or more, so 30 mins is nothing to us. We were just smiling at how up in arms people outside of the NYC area get when their commute is longer than that. :-) Of course, a shorter commute is ideal, but long drives don't faze us. We'd rather have more house for the money and that balance seems better available at the outer edge of 30 mins. We would consider something in a funky part of town (my guess is that would lead us to Durham, near the old Watts hospital), but it's probably out of our price range and my husband is a little gun-shy of getting into another urban neighborhood. He's been in the city his whole life and is craving the space that a more suburban neighborhood would offer. I grew up in the suburbs, so I've already had that experience, but I'm willing to compromise.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:15 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
As a transplant from the Northeast, I really caution you about moving so far out. I have met many people from NY/NJ who move to outlying areas such as Willow Spring, Clayton, Angier, FV so they can get "more bang for the buck" in terms of housing/land and end up hating it down here. It is difficult to get used to having to travel in excess of 30 minutes to get to everything - shopping, theater, restaurants etc. I think you will find the most progressive areas to be Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and the immediate outlying suburbs.

We moved to Cary 6 years ago and only recently downsized and relocated to the Raleigh/Durham line. Trust me, having a McMansion may make you happy for a short while.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 AM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Have you been to Angier? If not I would encourage you to explore some of the other towns first then drive to Angier to see the difference. It is certainly not isolated rural but is much more "out there" than the places above. There are plenty of neighborhoods in both Raleigh and Durham that feel like suburban areas based on the amount of trees, lots sizes, etc... 30 minutes from Angier to Raleigh can be done but I think you would be hard pressed to make that in rush hour.

However if you like ice cream, Angier is the place to be.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2NC View Post
Hi, we're looking at a development in Angiers called Johnson's Landing. We'd been looking to relocate to the Raleigh area and have seen homes in Raleigh, Durham, Wake Forest, and Fuquay-Varina. We don't know much about Angiers and it appears that this development is barely in Angiers, as it borders F-V, which we hear has grown quite a bit in the last few years. It's in Wake County, rather than Johnson, if that makes any difference. So, what we need to know is how racially diverse the area is. We're a family of color and have been warned off of Fuquay, Garner, Wendell and a few other areas, but Angiers was not among them, probably because we hadn't seen anything out that way. We are looking for a nice, quiet community where our kids can feel comfortable hanging out at the pool or riding their bikes and my husband and I are not looked upon as oddities or worse, a threat, when we go to the market. I hate to even ask the question, but having grown up in Long Island in the 70's, before it became more racially diverse, I shudder at the thought of my kids going through what my bi-racial family went through. Please be honest, I won't be offended. Thanks.
There won't be an issue with race here, but it's odd how you decided on such a "podunk" town without knowing anything about it except the location. I echo those who say you may THINK you won't mind the commute, but I for one don't believe Angier to Raleigh is <= 30 minutes (depending on where in Raleigh your job is?) I work in Raleigh and live in another part of Raleigh and my commute is 35.

Angier really is a SMALL town, and not really considered part of the Raleigh area in practicality. Here is the City-Data capsule on it, and of course you can look it up in Wikipedia, the town website, etc. Just remember that real estatte is location, location, location, so if the price is lower, it's because the amenities (including being close to things people want to be close to) are less.

Do you know exactly where your job is going to be? That can make a huge difference in commute.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2NC View Post
I plotted it out on Google Maps from Johnson's Landing to downtown Raleigh and it was only 30 mins. For us, coming from NYC, 30-60 mins is nothing for a commute. When we lived on Long Island, our commute was anywhere from 90 mins to 2 hours. Even now, in Brooklyn, it takes my husband at least an hour to do drop offs and get to the office on time and my commute (by train) is an hour or more, so 30 mins is nothing to us. We were just smiling at how up in arms people outside of the NYC area get when their commute is longer than that. :-) Of course, a shorter commute is ideal, but long drives don't faze us. We'd rather have more house for the money and that balance seems better available at the outer edge of 30 mins. We would consider something in a funky part of town (my guess is that would lead us to Durham, near the old Watts hospital), but it's probably out of our price range and my husband is a little gun-shy of getting into another urban neighborhood. He's been in the city his whole life and is craving the space that a more suburban neighborhood would offer. I grew up in the suburbs, so I've already had that experience, but I'm willing to compromise.

You may not mind the longer commute into NYC, but there's plenty of STUFF there on that commute. Commuting from "out there" around here might seem like it would be picturesque at first, but it will get old.

And there's no train to ride, nor will there likely be one for the foreseeable future.

Why would anyone want to spend that long commuting if you don't need to spend that long commuting? It just takes away time you could spend with family in your home or out doing things, etc.

I think you will ultimately be unhappy with a long commute here, but that's my opinion. Put this way... I lived in the suburbs of Chicago once upon a time (temporarily, for I am a native of NC)... people in my suburb often drove (or took the train) into Chicago... commute was right around an hour and a half during rush hour, unless there were accidents... and it was about 40 minutes the rest of the time.

Well... if those same people could have afforded to live closer to the city in a nice suburb (and those do exist)... I feel sure that's where they would've lived.

Soo... with NC being not terribly expensive as real estate goes, why on earth live way out in Angier unless you are from there or have family there?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I wouldn't want to live in Angier, but I'm sure there are people out there who love it. There are a *lot* of other places I put higher up on my personal list and it's hard for me to imagine someone from NYC finding their place there, but maybe it's the right fit for you I don't know.

What did you think of Durham? You've been visiting the Triangle for awhile now, right? I would much, much, much, muchmuchmuchmuch rather live in Durham than Angier or Fuquay.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:10 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Being from the Northeast myself NY/NJ area I am familiar with commuting times and I agree with you that a longer commute to Angier is doable but have you even visited there?
I just looked at Google Earth and there ain't much in Angier to speak of. I live in the Sandhills 90 miles from Raleigh out in the country and we have a lot more shopping and civilization than Angier does.
Before you even consider living in Angier at least visit for a week and see if you can tolerate the emptiness of this farm town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina