Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 PM

19 posts, read 230,347 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip next year to NC-what are the best places to visit to get the most out of our stay? we're thinking of visiting for about 4 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 07:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Are you visiting as a place for vacation or visiting to look for a place to call home in future? Are you visiting spring, summer, fall , or winter?

What do you plan to do on your trip , Lots of activities or peace and quiet?

There is over 600 miles of recommindations

Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 PM

Probably visiting in the Spring, we love nature and will probably trek over to the Smokey Mountain park-I know there's coastline too but that's about as much as I know about NC without having to read a visitors Guide from the bookstore. I want feedback from a Carolinian
We are looking at a vacation-which may lead us to possibly relocate-if we happen to fall in love

Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 PM

Spring time would be a great time to see the flowering trees and plants blooming.
There so much to see in this state from Mountains to the Coast and the cities in between. Best bet is hope highway 64 it most scenic highway in the state that runs from one end to the other

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-carolina.html

Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Holly Smokes Sunny, the bears look so close. I visit Yosemite all the time and never encountered a bear that close! the pictures are beautiful

Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 57,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla94804 View Post
Probably visiting in the Spring, we love nature and will probably trek over to the Smokey Mountain park-I know there's coastline too but that's about as much as I know about NC without having to read a visitors Guide from the bookstore. I want feedback from a Carolinian
We are looking at a vacation-which may lead us to possibly relocate-if we happen to fall in love

I have lived on the coast of North Carolina for over 20 years. Moderator cut: tos violation I love it here. The crime rate is very low. We have a clean beautiful coast. Lots of historic places to visit. Plenty of lighthouse's to explore, wild ponys on the outerbanks, beachcombing, Lots of neat bars/pubs, and waterfront dining. Lots of shopping. A very artsy area around where I live at. Lots of small fishing villiages. Really cool place. Come to visit, and your'll probably want to stay.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Best bet is hope highway 64 it most scenic highway in the state that runs from one end to the other
The mountain part definitely - from Lenoir west, and toward the coast. The middle? Eh. Mostly flat, runs thru some towns. Not much to see there. I regularly take my motorcycle to Asheboro for maintenance; a 40-something mile ride from Davie county to that town; and find the road dull and dangerous. Lots of truckers traverse that section and accidents happen with some regularity.

Here's a link that might be of interest about 64 thru the mountain areas
North Carolina Road Map Travel Guide: United States #64 US Route 64: Cashiers to Rutherfordton

Personally, I don't think 4 days does the state justice. If the OP were hanging around longer, I could recommend some back roads that show the largely undeveloped part of the state. As it is, it's probably best to stick to the touristed routes; those are well-documented and it's not easy to get lost.

To the OP: if you plan a mountain drive, be aware that the roads can be narrow and very twisty. Also, as soon as the weather is warm enough, the bikers hit the mountain roads with a vengeance. Don't be surprised to see the crotch rocketeers ride up on your tail and use scary maneuvers to pass. Come spring they'll be feeling frisky and ready to break out their bikes

Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Sunny's pictures were taken at Grandfather Mountain where they have a nice little zoo. It is a nice place to visit.
If you try to take in the shore in the same trip you do the mountains you will spend a lot of time crossing the state. I'd make two separate trips. Better yet, have two plans. One to visit the mountains and western NC but have a plan B if the weather is foggy or overcast and the weather on the coast looks good.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:47 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
This is a tough one....are you visiting sites or highway touring.....will you be centered near a major city.....

A Great place to visit

Old 11-30-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Sunny's pictures were taken at Grandfather Mountain where they have a nice little zoo. It is a nice place to visit.
If you try to take in the shore in the same trip you do the mountains you will spend a lot of time crossing the state. I'd make two separate trips. Better yet, have two plans. One to visit the mountains and western NC but have a plan B if the weather is foggy or overcast and the weather on the coast looks good.

I posted a link to a photo thread created by other members I think they are the ones who should get credit and not me nor do I accept it. Please dont give credit to soemone else when the poster was nice enough to provide us the information I have posted on that thread so maybe you are confuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina