Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM

78 posts, read 108,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Six years experience is not a whole lot in software dev in NC.
I tend to agree because there is a ton of competition in that area here. Much of the tech jobs are in SW development and with having many NCSU computer science grads here it adds to the supply. Also a lot of those jobs here tend to be contract jobs, some temp to perm others not. My company hires many interns and jr devs but the ratio of temps vs perm is about 7:1. Have him check sites like Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com and also NC.gov for those jobs. Of course many other employers and resources too but its a start this far out.

Now I must say this. They tend to want to hire, not always, local vs non-local applicants and that's probably because of the supply here already. Now what you can do is get a local address here from like a Mailbox etc. and get a 919 area code google number that you can use for the resume so at least you'll have a chance at being considered for a call. This way you can have the calls from the 919 forwarded to your actual cell / home #. That's always the hardest part when trying to appeal to employees at the destination city.

Much luck in your future endeavors be it NC or anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:16 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarker View Post
My husband and I are planning to relocate back to the south within the next 18-24 months. We both moved to Illinois for careers after college, and really want to move back closer to home (Kentucky/Ohio). We've researched and we think North Carolina would be a good fit for us; southern, the weather is more mild, and it's still somewhat near our families. We're both in our mid-upper 20's, no children, libertarian minded, prefer a smaller downtown area but not a small population, unique shopping but also access to big department stores, non-chain food restaurants, love wine & craft beers, and forest preserves/parks/dog parks. Our budget is around 200K. We've been looking at Cary and some other surrounding areas. Our jobs are in finance and retail headquarters (merchandise buyer). Does anyone have some suggested areas for us?
Belk's is headquartered in the Charlotte area. Several of my friends were discussing recently how we wish they would hire another clothes buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina