Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,454,159 times

Advertisements

Love Lake James, we have friends that Scuba Dive there, and we go there often to fish and hike.

WE live a little over an hour away from Lake James in a great town called Taylorsville NC.

It's very affordable here, other towns that I know of are Hickory NC if you want to live in a bigger city than Taylorsville, and also Morganton and Lenoir, both are very nice as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 AM

5 posts, read 7,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Davidson is a great suggestion. My aunt is still there. Some friends went to school there. Beautiful town.
Check it out. Prices might be a concern since you'd mentioned building on Lake James as unaffordable.
I'd hoped to maybe find a transplant center in Asheville, Morganton or Hickory but that was a true long shot.

Others might not agree but Duke's the best and Baptist is solid.

5 in the state:
Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte)
Duke University Medical Center (Durham)
UNC Health Care (Chapel Hill)
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center (Winston-Salem)
Vidant Health (Greenville)

Whatever you decide, I wouldn't worry too much about 'mountain meth'.

Thank you for the input, very helpful. We need to come visit some colleges this summer and will certainly be doing a little traveling. We've been to Lake Lure but to visit family and never really experienced any towns of sort, just tourist spots in the local area. Again, thank you!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 7,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
In a North Carolina town of 5000, you typically will not get as much sophistication or wealth as you would in Connecticut. (I spent many years in CT and still have family there.) The shopping would be basic, and probably will have a Dollar store and a hardware store, but you will have 6 Baptist churches of different flavors.

You might look at Davidson, which has a small, walkable downtown and looks somewhat like New England. It has a college, is near a lake and is about 25 miles to downtown Charlotte. It has about 11,000 and a website is here: Welcome to Davidson | Explore Davidson, NC

My idea of shopping is the convenience stores such as Walmart, Walgreens, grocery store and these type of stores. I travel 45 mins to an hour for a decent mall where I live now and do so only for my teenaged daughter. I just live closer to a downtown area now and am spoiled to the conveniences of say, running out of a cooking spice and having a small local grocer right at the corner =)
(sorry for lack of proper grammer this morning...fighting terrible virus that has brought me DOWN!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina