Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,980 times

Advertisements

Want a small town within reasonable commute of Charlotte -- I currently live and work in Charlotte. Thoughts on Mt Gilead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
That is too far away , unless you seek solitude. If this is the case , go for it. I've driven through there once , the area that it is in is nice , with excellent views. You are looking at an hour to reach 485 , you can take 73 which turns into Main street to hwy.24/27 , and head west. It is near Lake Tillery , which can be a PITA during the warm season. I think the population of Montgomery is about 8000 , I could be mistaken. The county seat is Troy , and aside from obvious outdoor activities , that's about it. If I could afford a second home , I'd get one out there. There are several subdivisions that dot the eastside of Tillery , along River road , the first left after crossing the bridge. I estimate prices in the 200 to 500K range , based upon similar construction on LKN. You may be better trying Locust , or Midland. They are closer in , but without the scenery. One time , it took me 20 minutes from 485 to Tillery , but I was different at the time. Visit www.montgomerycounty.com for more info.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,980 times
Thanks - I have a decent grip on the logistics and distances and, from my point of view, the hour drive is not insuperable. I'd love some actual insight on the town though. Decent place to live in 2014 (I've seen not so nice comments on here from '07)? Terrible? In between? Friendly? Unfriendly? Basically, the inside story.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:53 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkheel View Post
I'd love some actual insight on the town though. Decent place to live in 2014 (I've seen not so nice comments on here from '07)? Terrible? In between? Friendly? Unfriendly? Basically, the inside story.
I don't have an inside view, but there are a few too many boarded up stores when you look at the street view of the main street. There are numerous older, low-budget homes for sale. I wonder about the economic vitality of the town, but it looks like a quiet place if all you want is fishing and boating.

Why not visit in person and talk to people?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:28 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
I've only driven through Mt Gilead on my way to Charlotte and my impression is that it looks like a town frozen in the 50's. Old houses ,old stores. In other words old time North Carolina. Probably be a perfect for for some but it is too far away from industry to attract new people.
The only way to find out if it fits your lifestyle is to go take a look.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:01 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I've only driven through Mt Gilead on my way to Charlotte and my impression is that it looks like a town frozen in the 50's. Old houses ,old stores. In other words old time North Carolina. Probably be a perfect for for some but it is too far away from industry to attract new people.
The only way to find out if it fits your lifestyle is to go take a look.
The population has declined by 15% since 2000, which accounts for the boarded-up stores and low housing prices.

In contrast, Norwood, Troy and Ansonville have all grown in the same period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina