Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:20 PM

27 posts, read 123,578 times

Advertisements

Hi, there -- Since, I'm interested in relocating to NC, I been reading & following many of these threads. Most of which offer great information & make me wish I was already settled in. Well, that was until I started reading past threads regarding snakes & bugs. And, oh my gosh, the conversation of those threads have me shaking in my boots. Are huge bugs, and a large variety of snakes truly as common as it seems????!!!?

The talk of traffic congestion, hurrican weather, flash floods, etc. has not scared me away ... not even the occassional bear, but spiders & snakes?
OH MY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 07:50 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-carolina.html

Old 10-21-2006, 09:16 PM

110 posts, read 394,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariwithani View Post
Hi, there -- Since, I'm interested in relocating to NC, I been reading & following many of these threads. Most of which offer great information & make me wish I was already settled in. Well, that was until I started reading past threads regarding snakes & bugs. And, oh my gosh, the conversation of those threads have me shaking in my boots. Are huge bugs, and a large variety of snakes truly as common as it seems????!!!?

The talk of traffic congestion, hurrican weather, flash floods, etc. has not scared me away ... not even the occassional bear, but spiders & snakes?
OH MY
Traffic congestion should be enough to scare some away. Friday afternoon, it took me 75 minutes to travel from Denver to Mooresville, which is typically only a 20-25 minute drive.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:31 PM

21 posts, read 135,015 times
Yes, there are plenty of spiders and snakes here to keep you on your toes. Don't let them find out you are from Oregon or they will gobble you up quicker than you can say "Eek!"

As for bears, well, I keep one chained in my yard and feed transplants to him once a day. He loves you crunchy people!

WELCOME TO NC!!!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
After living in NC for 16 years, I've only seen a snake about a dozen times. Out of those, very few were actually posionous. Unless you spend a lot of your time rooting around in heavy underbrush and undeveloped rural areas, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
After living in NC for 16 years, I've only seen a snake about a dozen times. Out of those, very few were actually posionous. Unless you spend a lot of your time rooting around in heavy underbrush and undeveloped rural areas, I wouldn't worry about it.
This is SO true!!! In all my years here I may have seen 3 snakes. And I spend just about every other weekend camping and hiking in the woods and mountains!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:33 PM

27 posts, read 123,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Law View Post
Yes, there are plenty of spiders and snakes here to keep you on your toes. Don't let them find out you are from Oregon or they will gobble you up quicker than you can say "Eek!"

As for bears, well, I keep one chained in my yard and feed transplants to him once a day. He loves you crunchy people!

WELCOME TO NC!!!

Very cute, John . If I run across a snake it can go ahead and do anything it wants with me --- I will have immediately dropped dead of a heart attack And, as for your bear, I am on the plumb-side, so I hope he likes squishy bites as well as crunchy

I'm not sure, but I think everyone who answered was of the "guy" species. Another woman might have taken my heart-pounding dread a little more seriously

Truly, if you do a "keyword" search for snakes or spiders and read some of those posts, there are some NC's out there scaring the tar out of us weaker-minded city-slickers!!!! I can't even handle coming across the 6-8" slugs we have here in Oregon without getting weird. A couple of the posts were talking about having snakes that hang on walls & spring down on a person walking by. One guy had a picture of a 5' snake that had slithered onto his truck. And, another women wrote about the sound this huge bug was making going up her vacumm cleaner.

And, several of the posts said these are common occurrances even in the cities. Is any of it true??? I'm coming to NC for a few days in December and driving the state "loop" a couple of people recommended. Should I wear boots & bring snake venom Please advise

Old 10-22-2006, 10:33 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Is there a certain time of the year you see more spiders? and is there a certain part of N.C. that has more???

Old 10-22-2006, 10:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Very cute, John . If I run across a snake it can go ahead and do anything it wants with me --- I will have immediately dropped dead of a heart attack And, as for your bear, I am on the plumb-side, so I hope he likes squishy bites as well as crunchy

I'm not sure, but I think everyone who answered was of the "guy" species. Another woman might have taken my heart-pounding dread a little more seriously

Truly, if you do a "keyword" search for snakes or spiders and read some of those posts, there are some NC's out there scaring the tar out of us weaker-minded city-slickers!!!! I can't even handle coming across the 6-8" slugs we have here in Oregon without getting weird. A couple of the posts were talking about having snakes that hang on walls & spring down on a person walking by. One guy had a picture of a 5' snake that had slithered onto his truck. And, another women wrote about the sound this huge bug was making going up her vacumm cleaner.

And, several of the posts said these are common occurrances even in the cities. Is any of it true??? I'm coming to NC for a few days in December and driving the state "loop" a couple of people recommended. Should I wear boots & bring snake venom Please advise

Just so you will hopefully feel better - I am of the female persausion, AND nothing scares me more in this world than snakes, I promise BUT, I still go out hiking and camping very frequently and have only seen snakes twice - and from a distance, in 18 years here!

Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:

OK, I am rolling on the floor!! Serious, black snakes are big (4-5') and don't do much but eat field mice and really don't like people. Occasionally, copperheads can get inside, but they live mostly at the lake, unless all the development has killed them off, December ...... the June bugs (Japanese beetles on steroids) are probably gone, but then there are pine beetles that live in cord wood and come out if you keep wood in the house (don't), you should be OK in December. Bears - hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, had a few deer come through my back yard, but not bears - sorry, John.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina