Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 AM

1,400 posts, read 763,910 times

Advertisements

Dear Sue,

Thank you for lessening my concerns about hurricanes.

Thank you for making me laugh out loud with your comment about Mr. Wonderful. Well, you may have quit looking, but if you still want him, I hope he finds you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Oh, I'm just fine, thanks. : D

I do hope you can visit so you can see how pretty NC is. Have you looked at the different areas online? What interests you most?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:08 PM

I actually did look around on Wikipedia! This is what I learned: North Carolina is 53,819 square miles and several years ago had 9.752 million people and was the 10th most populated of the 50 states. It ranges from sea level to 6,684 feet above sea level, Mount Mitchell is the highest point in the Eastern United States. North Carolina has a humid subtropical climate on the coastal plain, which is 45% of the state. The Piedmont area is 35% of the state and the rest is Appalachian mountains.

I would love to live near the ocean, but heard it is only for the very rich. Charis Bible College is in the Raleigh area and I would love to attend there someday. Of course I would want to live in a low crime area, and some place that is not a big city and yet not in the middle of nowhere. As a single woman, having visions of a social life of some sort.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
You could live near the coast without being rich. Your first move should be a job search if you need to work.

I live in the Piedmont. We go to the beach on weekends often. There are lots of low crime areas. The state is big, so you'll want to visit so you can narrow it down.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post

My only concern in moving is that I heard through the proverbial grapevine that people from the North are never really accepted in the South. I hope this is not true. People are leaving my state in droves because of the taxes and a lot of them are fleeing to North Carolina. Generally speaking, do people from the South dislike people from the North? I'm a very nice person, had nothing to do with the Civil War, and only live here because this is where I was born.
This has been disputed up here many times, but as a native Southerner I will tell you this is generally true. It is less true in areas with more transplants, naturally.

As far as living at the beach, you can live close by, but keep in mind many of the rural inland areas of ENC are considered undesirable by many and lack a strong economic base. I personally do not like the idea of living near any body of water due to flooding/storms..

Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 AM

Thanks Mr. Rebel, Miss Rebel, or Ms. Rebel,

I guess people are people no matter where you go ~ there are good ones and bad ones, friendly ones and unfriendly ones. Interestingly enough, some who seem outwardly friendly can actually be mean or even dangerous, and some may seem a bit standoff-ish or even cold at first, but are the nicest people who would do anything for you. Regarding this, only time reveals the truth. I wish there were a faster, less painful way.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Ouch! I clicked on one thing and then another and did some reading on Wikipedia and it said that only two states get hit by more hurricanes than North Carolina. I live within forty minutes of the ocean and didn't even lose electricity during hurricane Sandy. I might have to learn to like the snow. Maybe I'll meet Mr. Wonderful and get married and the two of us could afford to live here...
Since Charlotte was high on your list, be aware that Charlotte is far enough inland that it almost never gets any kind of hurricane activity. That is directly proportional to how close to the coast one is.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Thanks Mr. Rebel, Miss Rebel, or Ms. Rebel,

I guess people are people no matter where you go ~ there are good ones and bad ones, friendly ones and unfriendly ones. Interestingly enough, some who seem outwardly friendly can actually be mean or even dangerous, and some may seem a bit standoff-ish or even cold at first, but are the nicest people who would do anything for you. Regarding this, only time reveals the truth. I wish there were a faster, less painful way.
You're welcome. It's Mr. Rebel, and it's good to know you've realized all isn't as it appears.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 AM

Dear Mr. RoaminRebel,

In the interest of pleasant conversation, which even some of us Yankees like , how long have you been roamin' and what are you rebelling about?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
The frequency of getting hit by a Hurricane is a bit overblown.

Wilmington gets hit by a number of Hurricanes but most times just gets a glancing hit. It actually fares well during Hurricanes. Charlotte was hit by one in the late 80's and was out of commission for like a week. Raleigh the same during Hurricane Fran in 1996.

Inland communities actually fare worse when they get hit (albeit less often) than many of the coastal communities do. So from that perspective, the frequency of events can be somewhat of a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina