Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:25 PM

1,400 posts, read 765,996 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have lived in New England all my life and am thinking of moving to North Carolina. Everyone says it's beautiful, the people are friendly, the weather is nice, and that the cost of housing and living in general is fantastic compared to where I live. Frankly, I cannot afford to live here any more, and the winters are long and rough.

I'm looking for somewhere to spend the rest of my life. I have heard that there are some pretty towns about half an hour from Charlotte that are very nice. My parents have gone to be with the Lord, my children are grown and on their own. A very long marriage ended in divorce. There is no reason for me to stay here.

I don't want to live in the city, but don't want to be isolated in the suburbs where it's all young couples raising their children. I'm kind of in the middle zone...done with raising my children and too young to retire.

Any advice at all would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Are you planning on working?

Old 02-15-2014, 03:40 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
I don't want to live in the city, but don't want to be isolated in the suburbs where it's all young couples raising their children. I'm kind of in the middle zone...done with raising my children and too young to retire.
Moore County is a nice area, and Pinehurst has many active adults and retirees. However, your need to find a job should be the first consideration.

If you are interested in the Charlotte area, I suggest reading through the posts in the Charlotte sub-forum. If it were my decision, I would look at Davidson, Matthews and the Ballantyne development in Charlotte. You might also look at the Del Webb community in Rock Hill, SC, as I believe there are working adults living there.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I'm looking for somewhere to spend the rest of my life.
...my children are grown and on their own.
Where are they?

Quote:
...and too young to retire.
What sort of work?

Specialized and especially licensed work can usually be found pretty much anywhere.
Un-specialized an un-licensed work, especially for older people, is HARD to find anywhere.
In NC... it will pay very poorly.

Focus on your family and your work...
live where fitting in with those two makes the most sense.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,272 times
I'm not familiar with places 30 minutes from Charlotte . . but my cousins did live in Huntersville NC and it was very nice in their neighborhood.

We live about an hour from Charlotte . . Taylorsville NC, very nice, so is the surrounding areas like Hickory, Mooresville is also another nice area about 20 minutes to Charlotte, but I shop there but don't know much else about Mooresville.

Rock Hill SC is right outside of Charlotte and I have friends there and it also seems nice.

I like Taylorsville because we have Hickory, Statesville and Wilkesboro 15 mins away, and the Blue Ridge Highway and Boone & Blowing Rock NC is only about 45 minutes away.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 PM

1,400 posts, read 765,996 times
Thank you to all of you who have taken the time responding to my post. I'm having some trouble with the site. It was my intention to reply to each person, but have not been successful in this. The very first reply I wrote had to be erased because it appeared in the wrong place.

I'm probably going to permanently leave the site, but I did take some notes from the posts that recommended possible places to live. At least this gives me a starting point. Thank you again.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:16 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:

I'm looking for somewhere to spend the rest of my life. I have heard that there are some pretty towns about half an hour from Charlotte that are very nice. My parents have gone to be with the Lord, my children are grown and on their own. A very long marriage ended in divorce. There is no reason for me to stay here.

Any advice at all would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
There are m,any questions you need to answer before anyone can give you relevant advice.

Why are you looking at NC, versus another state?
Have you ever been here?
If not, what makes you think this is for you?
What have you done about looking for jobs in your field (if you need one)?
What kind of terrain, demographics, politics, etc are you looking for?

A little more "book research" on the state and a visit down are a good idea before you start asking strangers for where you should live in a state you haven't been to.

The Charlotte forum would be more helpful if you are determined to live around Charlotte--you've posted in the general NC area.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 AM

148 posts, read 531,668 times
She may have posted in the general NC forum to get opinions from ALL areas.

Nancy:
I think if you are planning to move there you should definitely visit first. You may leave totally satisfied or dissatisfied based on your intentions, religion, academic, and employment requirements. I've found opinions on this forum to be very intense based on one's standard and perception of living, as your's may differ in another capacity. (ex: "we love Charlotte, crime is low, great schools - homes, many parks, and great shopping") Your criteria may differ compared with the average census. (ex: "Not religious, commute must be x minutes or less, NO cookie cutter house floor plans without trees on property, need at least 1.5 acres, access to beach or lake essential")

Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
My point is, nobody can tell someone whether an entire state may or may not be right for them if they have never even visited and are relying on hearsay that it's where they want to move.

Job prospects, preferred lifestyle and terrain (cost, mountains, city, in between) all come into play and these are true in many states. OP seemed to be one of those "I heard NC was nice so I'm moving there" types who move "on a wing and a prayer" without visiting the state or landing a job first. That is not a good idea, ever, no matter what the state, though it seems to be more prevalent to NC than any other state for some reason.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 59,486 times
I want to post a question and I don't see where to start a new thread. Can someone help guide me please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina