Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM

983 posts, read 3,973,688 times

Advertisements

There are some really nice neighborhoods in Lumberton and Red Springs. There's a fabulous little private school in Red Springs, Flora MacDonald Academy. It's not crazy expensive. My oldest daughter went there when she was little, until we moved because of my husband's job. I miss that little school! We lived in Hwy. 20 in Lumber Bridge...wouldn't live there now, but there are decent places to live in Robeson County. You just have to be REALLY careful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 PM

3,066 posts, read 4,802,850 times
I have another suggestion that may be appealing in terms of taking a job in Lumberton.

You may consider living at White Lake in Bladen County about 30 miles away. If you can afford waterfront property, it gives the kids the ability to having boating, swimming and other recreational activities. Elizabethtown is nearby and has a fairly decent Main Street, a Hospital, etc....

For schools, you could utilize Harrells Christian Academy which is a small private school about 20 minutes away in Harrells. Again, you would be closer to the Wilmington area and away from the I-95 corridor. It would actually be very peaceful at White Lake and give you a small town feel in Elizabethtown.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 AM

30 posts, read 45,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
It is such a major decision that I recommend you come down and check out the area. My initial thought was that you would be making a night and day move. If you enjoy your current upscale, there is no way to replace that in the area you are considering. It is an economically depressed area which brings along crime. It is also on I-95 which would make me wary. Good luck in your decision!
You can go on www.crime spot.com and you can see for yourself because I'm trying to relocate to NC myself and since I been on this thread every one had something bad to say. Everywhere in NC is bad the way these people is talking. Go on the website and see for yourself. I hope that is helpful

Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,998 times
I would, under no circumstances, consider taking a job in Lumberton NC or in Robeson County. I grew up there and left the day after I graduated high school. My family lives there still and I worry for them daily. It is a crime infested hole in the Earth. For the sake of you and your family.. look elsewhere!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 11,501 times
Lumberton is a crime infested horrible town. I wouldn't move there, especially with kids, if I were offered $1 million a year salary. One of the worst places I've ever been.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,458,457 times
I agree with the others. Lumberton isn't nice at all, in fact Robeson County is quite a poor area for the most part. Judging from your background in Ohio, Robeson County will be a huge culture shock (practically rural Deep South). I'm not too familiar with Whiteville, but it's a very small town (to let you know). However, if it's anything like Chadbourn or Tabor City in the same county, I'd stay far away. Commuting from Wilmington would be perfect because it's a lovely city, but it's also an hour away. However, Fayetteville is 30 minutes up I-95. Fayetteville has a horrible rep in NC because it's not a very nice city to be frank. However, there are some nicer suburbs and it's much better than Lumberton.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:42 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,515,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog25 View Post
I am considering a job relocation with current company to Lumberton, NC. It is pretty good offer but my problem is the area does not sound to good. I am coming from an upscale area in central Ohio with a school system that is rated a 10. I am highly concerned about the move based on schools and security. I am all right driving 30-35 minutes to work and am thinking Fayetteville area. I would be looking for newer subdivision with lots of kids in a good school district. Should I even consider this move? Pros and cons of the area? thanks in advance for your help, I am really back and forth if it is worth it.
You are right Lumberton is and has always been the pits. Go see the movie Serena.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:24 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,732,318 times
I agree with the posters, but this thread is a year old.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
Uh,,,,looks completely Safe to me,,,cuz aint a damn thing to do,but eat ,get fat and old.I'm not seeing where it's dangerous,,, looks boring as f'ck to me... Thats what I hate about small town folks,,,,,if they see a newcomer,,or anyone who looks a little ecentric,,artsy or a loner,,they get paranoid and panic,,,, they need to get out more and travel,these people are so poor they can't get out to travel and see the truth around them and should quit judging on things they don't know anything about,,,,I grew up in a rural town like this,,and also lived in a big city,,I know how each judges the other,,,,.city folk need to slow down a bit and be less hostile,,because of constantly trying to live up to unrealistic expectations.,,,small town folks stay ignorant and believe whatever media says......I don't see what they find so dangerous,they must be referring to the SLIGHT demographic change,,lmao,uh...I've lived in a city with real gang and drive by activity,,,I don't think so.. but seriously dont nobody want to move to this azz backwards area.,,well no one young,,,I know the college students In Pembroke gotta be bored ,,,.Whats dangerous is their ignorance..I find this area to be polluted,trashy and dirty and the rivers look dirty..the people don't invest in a bussing or transportation system,,,,or programs like habitat for humanity or anything to build it up,,cuz they are so fearful of attracting newcomers....they need serious mental help..

Old 05-22-2018, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 777 times
I grew up in Lumberton area and am now living here again (to be near family). If you have young or school aged children I would strongly advise against it, period. I commute TO Wilmington area to work and will personally be moving that direction as soon as feasible. Lumberton is just NOT "family friendly", the drug addiction and violent crime rates have increased astronomically over the years and the rest of the county is no better. There are some nice subdivision type neighborhoods on the outskirts of Fayetteville/Raeford/Hope Mills areas and also the Pinehurst area but the schools are still not going to be on par with states that properly fund and regulate public schools. Also public transportation is virtually non existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina