Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,270,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
FYI: I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and loved it. I also lived in Myrtle Beach for a year and loved it. The people were great and I love the southern culture. All my experiences were positive, both professionally and socially. I also lived in London, UK which was very opinionated, yet a learning experience with no argument for any reason. Sorry if my Northern "polite banter" makes you feel uncomfortable, but I have to state my opinion. I don't feel the North and South are still divided as much, although many Southerners to this day cannot be in the same room with a New Yorker. We don't bite!
The fact that you spent only a matter of months each in two other southern cities and then returned home to NY indicates that it would probably be a really good idea for you to rent first before buying in NC.

You seem to have this idea that NC is somehow different from the rest of the South, as if northern transplants have held sway there more than elsewhere. The posts where locals have pointed out to you with sources that your assumptions on political leanings in NC are wrong seem to have fallen on deaf ears, and honestly, it seems like you are very likely to become just another "I had to move back home because I can't stand the conservative, Bible Belt mentality here!" New Yorker. NC will not change for you, so you have to really consider if you are willing to accept that and be tolerant of the locals and their political and religious beliefs. Remember, they were there first.

One of the things that conservative Southerners resent about hard line Democrats from places like NY is that they are fleeing their home state largely because of exhorbitant taxes that make it difficult to afford to live there on a daily basis, yet the reason that those places have become such overtaxed nanny states is precisely because they are run by liberal, tax and spend Democrats. It doesn't make sense to flee an area like that for a place with lower taxes and more fiscally conservative politicians only to try to bring with you the same mentality that ruined those places for the working class. If you are willing to open your mind a little and adapt to your new surroundings instead of expecting them to adapt to you, you will do better and not rub people the wrong way as much.

Last edited by canudigit; 02-22-2014 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
I shall, although it's leaning towards Charlotte - Southpark or Waxhal areas.
Was this a typo or did you mean Waxhal? It is Waxhaw as in a small indian tribe, as in a refuge for settlers from indian attacks, as in Andrew Jackson, as in a wonderful pioneer museum.

I really do wish people who move here would move because they appreciate the state, the history, because they know the state, etc not just because they are tired of the cold weather elsewhere or think it is cheaper to live here. Come for a reason that means something

Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,119,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Was this a typo or did you mean Waxhal? It is Waxhaw as in a small indian tribe, as in a refuge for settlers from indian attacks, as in Andrew Jackson, as in a wonderful pioneer museum.

I really do wish people who move here would move because they appreciate the state, the history, because they know the state, etc not just because they are tired of the cold weather elsewhere or think it is cheaper to live here. Come for a reason that means something
Same here. This cold winter has really brought them out in droves.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:44 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,072,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Same here. This cold winter has really brought them out in droves.
And it does get cold here as well in the winter. Cold is Cold. Last week across NC the state was all snow covered.

While we do get less snow than up north (depending on where in NC you live) we do have trade offs. The earlier springs here always lead to severe weather outbreaks at some point, particulary March thru May. If you live on or near the coast, at least once a year a tropical storm or hurricane threatens the coast, not a direct hit every year but a lot of close calls.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:52 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,558,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
And it does get cold here as well in the winter. Cold is Cold. Last week across NC the state was all snow covered.
But how many times has that happened in the last twenty years?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,358,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
And in addition, a key difference is that the snow we had last week is already melted. Up north, they will have dirty, ugly snow visible through April or mid-May.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 AM

14,000 posts, read 13,795,100 times
Everyone from CT is moving to NC that typical comment when I hear I moving out of state NC is in Top 3

Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,072,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
A few times actually, but not every year. And it does it cold here.

But there were tornadoes and severe storms just last week towards the eastern part of the state and it is only February, so would you rather snow or severe weather? So I am saying when you trade one negative for a positive, you will be getting vice versa. From 1990 to 2010 NC averaged 31 tornadoes per year while NY averaged 10.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,414,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The fact that you spent only a matter of months each in two other southern cities and then returned home to NY indicates that it would probably be a really good idea for you to rent first before buying in NC.

You seem to have this idea that NC is somehow different from the rest of the South, as if northern transplants have held sway there more than elsewhere. The posts where locals have pointed out to you with sources that your assumptions on political leanings in NC are wrong seem to have fallen on deaf ears, and honestly, it seems like you are very likely to become just another "I had to move back home because I can't stand the conservative, Bible Belt mentality here!" New Yorker. NC will not change for you, so you have to really consider if you are willing to accept that and be tolerant of the locals and their political and religious beliefs. Remember, they were there first.

One of the things that conservative Southerners resent about hard line Democrats from places like NY is that they are fleeing their home state largely because of exhorbitant taxes that make it difficult to afford to live there on a daily basis, yet the reason that those places have become such overtaxed nanny states is precisely because they are run by liberal, tax and spend Democrats. It doesn't make sense to flee an area like that for a place with lower taxes and more fiscally conservative politicians only to try to bring with you the same mentality that ruined those places for the working class. If you are willing to open your mind a little and adapt to your new surroundings instead of expecting them to adapt to you, you will do better and not rub people the wrong way as much.
Parts of NC are in fact quite different from the conservative bible belt South and parts of NC are filled with liberal Democrats.

To be honest a bible belt conservative from Alabama would probably be a whole lot less comfortable in somewhere like Chapel Hill, Durham, or Asheville then a liberal New Yorker.

NC is a very politically diverse state and you can probably find whatever you are looking for politically down here depending on where you go.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 AM

13,649 posts, read 12,304,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
A few times actually, but not every year. And it does it cold here.

But there were tornadoes and severe storms just last week towards the eastern part of the state and it is only February, so would you rather snow or severe weather? So I am saying when you trade one negative for a positive, you will be getting vice versa. From 1990 to 2010 NC averaged 31 tornadoes per year while NY averaged 10.
I've got to disagree with you here. You really don't understand the pervasive cold in comparison to what we get here in North Carolina. It gets cold here for a few days a year. When it snows, its gone within a week. It never gets so cold to cause you to have to wrestle with your power steering or have a transmission shift hard. It really doesn't get so cold that you need to plug in your car at night. It doesn't get so cold that your car doesn't warm up during a 20 minute commute. No one seems to keep scrapers or snowbrushes in their cars. No one would ever consider owning a snowblower. No one needs to shovel, really, because its going to be gone in short order. And, as far as natural disasters go, while Tornadoes are devastating in the path they cut, their paths are generally pretty small and isolated.

I say this as someone who grew up in Chicagoland and lived the last seven years in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina