Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times

Advertisements

Look, the op has received a tremendous amount of information on their move to NC, from very well intentioned posters even if they dont share the op's political views. After 80 posts and counting, there is only so much information you are going to get on a forum like this.

The op is looking for diversity, but evidentally not political diversity as they have said they want to "mingle with liberal minded people". Clearly NC is in no way going to be NY politically and to expect so is incorrect, and like I mentioned before just search on your own about NC politics. NC at least at the state level is going to remain republican for a decade, and the NC Supreme Court has a conservative majority. Facts are facts. And as other posters have stated, traditional NC democrats in would be considered republican in NY.

But there are very liberal people in NC, just as I know there are very conservative people in San Francisco.

Almost all the people I know that are from NJ and NY (with very thick northern accents) are conservative, so while NC is experiencing growth from northern transplants, we are attracting almost an equal number of 'red' voters as 'blue' voters.

In many places here in NC, if you are looking for racial or ethnic diversity - with the area and price range the op seems to be looking for, the closest to ethnic diversity may be deciding between their local Olive Garden or PF Changs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 PM

277 posts, read 436,187 times
NoVA sounds perfect for you. I know many who have had similar requests met in that area. I have many friends from school who lived in NY and ended up in NoVA.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 PM

136 posts, read 435,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Look, the op has received a tremendous amount of information on their move to NC, from very well intentioned posters even if they dont share the op's political views. After 80 posts and counting, there is only so much information you are going to get on a forum like this.

The op is looking for diversity, but evidentally not political diversity as they have said they want to "mingle with liberal minded people". Clearly NC is in no way going to be NY politically and to expect so is incorrect, and like I mentioned before just search on your own about NC politics. NC at least at the state level is going to remain republican for a decade, and the NC Supreme Court has a conservative majority. Facts are facts. And as other posters have stated, traditional NC democrats in would be considered republican in NY.

But there are very liberal people in NC, just as I know there are very conservative people in San Francisco.

Almost all the people I know that are from NJ and NY (with very thick northern accents) are conservative, so while NC is experiencing growth from northern transplants, we are attracting almost an equal number of 'red' voters as 'blue' voters.

In many places here in NC, if you are looking for racial or ethnic diversity - with the area and price range the op seems to be looking for, the closest to ethnic diversity may be deciding between their local Olive Garden or PF Changs.
+1

What more can really be added here? Maybe the OP doesn't really plan to move and just wants to argue on CD while waiting for the snow to melt in NY.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,553 times
Apex is a good place to start.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:46 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
FYI

Just because a person in NC is a registered Democrat does NOT mean they are liberal, progressive, or approving of the national Democratic party especially if they are local, native, or southern. They may be or not be. Just depends.

Now if this influx of Democrats is transplants it MAY mean they are. Or maybe they wanted to move to away from the liberal progressive aspects of their home states and moved to NC. You just don't know by party affiliation.

I have relatives who would vote straight democratic but have not one belief or value that is progressive or liberal. They call that yellow dog democrat. Then you have people who may be registered democrats but tend to be more conservative and call themselves blue dog democrats. Then you may have truly liberal progressive havens such as some cities or university areas and even there the registered republican might be liberal and progressive.

You just can't tell by party affiliation and it would require serious on site and not tourist type visits to get a feel as to whether you would be comfortable in a particular place.

Good luck
It really depends where you are, in Eastern NC that is very clearly the case, namely because you have a lot of Jim Hunt type democrats in the south east and a lot of minority dominated regions in the Northeast and Sandhills. However, if you are in the larger urban centers like the Triad, and Triangle at least, Democrat tends to mean approving of the national party and being fairly progresssive. With that said I don't think the OP was looking to move to somewhere like the Sandhills or Kinston. They were looking at the Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte and while I don't know much about Charlotte I can assure you from living in the Triangle and Triad most of my life that in those places Democrat overwhelmingly means liberal progressive person who generally agrees with the state party.

Last edited by Egbert; 02-25-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
Are you noticing a democratic spread rising in the southern regions (south of Charlotte) as well, or mainly in the north parts (Chapel Hill, Durham, and Asheville areas only?

A friend of ours from the Waxhaw area has also mentioned an influx of Democrats recently.
I have no idea about Charlotte, with that said in the time I have been here Chapel Hill and Durham have always been liberal and are now only marginally more so. Where I have really seen the increase in liberals and Democrats is in Raleigh, Greensboro, and Winston to a lesser extend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina