Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I would suspec The main reason why there are more dead deer on the roads THIS TIME OF YEAR is because the deer are going through their annual mating season. This is commonly referred to in the deer trade as "the rutt". Not mainly because of deer dumping.

They are very mobile and active looking for mates and consequently they are out in public more often then other times of the year.

So thats what those noises are in my backyard! I'm surprised my neighbors aren't back there rooting them on!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I would suspec The main reason why there are more dead deer on the roads THIS TIME OF YEAR is because the deer are going through their annual mating season. This is commonly referred to in the deer trade as "the rutt". Not mainly because of deer dumping.

They are very mobile and active looking for mates and consequently they are out in public more often then other times of the year.
I thought at first it was because the hunters were scaring them out of the woods but you are right CouponJack! It was on the news the other night and they are in their annual mating season. I am a complete animal lover, no doubt about it but I surely couldn't see a hunter tossing out something he/she spent that much time tracking down or waiting for. At least what my neighbors have told me their freezers are full now with deer meat. I personally can't eat or hunt deer but am learning to respect those who use them to feed themselves. I will never understand "Trophy" hunters though or a person doing it just for the kill. We very nearly hit a deer just the other day on our way home--very close call.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Default Deer in suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I thought at first it was because the hunters were scaring them out of the woods but you are right CouponJack! It was on the news the other night and they are in their annual mating season. I am a complete animal lover, no doubt about it but I surely couldn't see a hunter tossing out something he/she spent that much time tracking down or waiting for. At least what my neighbors have told me their freezers are full now with deer meat. I personally can't eat or hunt deer but am learning to respect those who use them to feed themselves. I will never understand "Trophy" hunters though or a person doing it just for the kill. We very nearly hit a deer just the other day on our way home--very close call.
Deer roam our back yard regularly and continually munch on my shrubs/plants. It gets scary when they come running around the side of my house (I am in city limits near busy road). We have to be very cautious this time of year as being in our yard in the early morning/evening can mean dodging an occasional deer. (Not to mention deer darting across streets - unnerving).

My SIL in St. Louis reports that a neighbor recently had a deer crash through the sliding glass doors at the back of the house. Animal control blamed it on rutting season and the deer seeing his reflection in the glass doors.

Re: OP - the deer here on roads are definitely road kill. Just hope you don't encounter one. Hubby and I have put those "deer whistles" on our cars, wh/ may not be effective but at least we felt we were doing what we could to keep deer away from our vehicles.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM

I am curious about those deer whistles...do you feel they work? What have you heard about them???

Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
See above post about my sister. She bought a whole bunch of those things and still hit several deer.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Available at automotive stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I am curious about those deer whistles...do you feel they work? What have you heard about them???
We don't know how effective the whistles are, but they were recommended to us after my hubby had a near miss w/ a deer while driving on business in PA. I think he got ours at Auto Zone. ??? They are small and mount on the front of your car fenders. Some people have said - they are worthless, but . . . at least it is something.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM

I actually get headaches when we drive anywhere at night because I am constantly straining my eyes watching for anything that moves on the side of the roads. I have decided, unless absolutely necessary, I will do the majority of my driving during the day--at least this time of the year!!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:21 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
I have had a good friend and a cousin hit a deer in the past two weeks. Totaled their cars. I need to get a good grill guard.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Yeah . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
See above post about my sister. She bought a whole bunch of those things and still hit several deer.
I can just imagine several deer running at top speed, nearing a highway, and suddenly coming to a screeching halt, when they hear my little whistle, and saying to themselves, "Hmmmmm. . . better stop - motorist ahead," Hee Hee.

Probably a lame effort but we did it anyway.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
You should submit this to Myth Busters and let them test the whistles out.
I just have this image of someone with whistles on their car and the deer standing on the side the road waving and saying thank you. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina