Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
NC12 is bad, but I can't think of ONE district today in which the district lines make sense.

The only thing in common between the two major cities (Asheville and Gastonia) in the 10th are in the fact they are both in NC. I'm not even sure my representative could find his way to Asheville without the on-board navigation in his car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

The only thing in common between the two major cities (Asheville and Gastonia) in the 10th are in the fact they are both in NC. I'm not even sure my representative could find his way to Asheville without the on-board navigation in his car.
ROFLMAO!

I suspect that our esteemed rep is concerned, because he's sent out a poll to see what the sentiment is in the 10th.

Asheville's inclusion in the district gives Democrats a chance, if they run with the understanding that a lot of the Dems are blue dogs.

Actually, a lot of the Republicans in Gastonia are wealthy, so they are from the Mitt Romney branch of the party. I've heard that they don't like McHenry & could be swayed. Patsy slit her own wrist with them when she announced, on her own, that she would vote to raise their taxes.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
If anyone thinks a redrawing of districts is going to improve anything, I've got a bridge to sell you. As much BS as there is behind some of these districts, I'd prefer to stay with the evil we know. Instead of worrying about district lines, we should be worrying about decent reps.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
It a hope, of the 171 seats up for election this fall 31% has already been decided.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
with the two party system and issues like this (gerrymandering), along with politicians are always raising money for reelection (along w/all the lobbyists), how does anyone expect things to get better in this country?

Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
If anyone thinks a redrawing of districts is going to improve anything, I've got a bridge to sell you. As much BS as there is behind some of these districts, I'd prefer to stay with the evil we know. Instead of worrying about district lines, we should be worrying about decent reps.
Ummm....no.

I rather have completely unbiased districts that doesn't look an extreme example of patchwork.

And speaking about extreme, gerrymandering causes people to politically run towards the edge of the spectrum. Not towards the middle, where most sane agreements occur.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Dems would need a very respectable statewide majority to retake the GA. Something like 10 points I would imagine. I think it's possible in both houses, since there are still enough competitive districts to overcome their disadvantage in safe districts. It's totally impossible for the congressional seats. The kind of majority they'd need to win those is the kind that does not happen in this state.

The House looks vulnerable. It will be tough though.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
North Carolina's 12th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Agree....where was the outrage then?

No one takes these one sided threads seriously because they only pop up when it affects the political jersey of the OP....
The gerrymandering is much more lopsided now. When the Republicans can hold most of the US congressional seats without winning the majority of the popular vote in NC (or the nation), there's a huge problem. I can see having some advantage but this is ridiculous.
Now That's What I Call Gerrymandering! | Mother Jones
Look at the chart and then tell me that it was worse when the Democrats drew the districts. Republicans held the majority of seats in 4 of those states (NC, PA, WI and MI) without winning the majority of the votes. In the two states where Dems redistricted in that chart, they held the most seats but at least they also won the popular vote in those states.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...without winning the majority of the popular vote in NC (or the nation), there's a huge problem.
Explain this too me.

McCrory beat Dalton--easily

Romney beat Obama--close

and it looks like Hagen would lose to anyone who gets through the GOP primary.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Explain this too me.

McCrory beat Dalton--easily

Romney beat Obama--close

and it looks like Hagen would lose to anyone who gets through the GOP primary.
-Democrats won more votes for Congress statewide that same year, but carried less seats due to gerrymandering.
-Democrats pulled even in the state House but lost a catastrophic number of seats due to gerrymandering.
-Democrats have routinely managed to snag statewide offices like the governor's seat and senate seats, even when this state was a much more conservative place in the 80s and 90s.
-Just several months ago, Hagan was up 10 points in the polls against all challengers. She may be even with them now, but another year of shenanigans from the state government and she could well find herself with a clear lead again.

Every Republican in a statewide office is in trouble. They are likely to feel the burn from voters who are upset that they cannot be represented by their legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina