Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:11 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,918,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
-Democrats won more votes for Congress statewide that same year, but carried less seats due to gerrymandering.
-Democrats pulled even in the state House but lost a catastrophic number of seats due to gerrymandering.
-Democrats have routinely managed to snag statewide offices like the governor's seat and senate seats, even when this state was a much more conservative place in the 80s and 90s.
-Just several months ago, Hagan was up 10 points in the polls against all challengers. She may be even with them now, but another year of shenanigans from the state government and she could well find herself with a clear lead again.

Every Republican in a statewide office is in trouble. They are likely to feel the burn from voters who are upset that they cannot be represented by their legislature.

Well I won't take those rose tinted glasses away from you. Calling Hagan even now is a stretch. BTW her vote confirming Debo Adegbile was foolish since the vote was going to fail anyway. Give her credit for voting Obama's....I mean her conscience.

Last edited by Rich6896; 03-07-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Well I won't take those rose tinted glasses away from you. Calling Hagan even now is a stretch. BTW her vote confirming Debo Adegbile was foolish since the vote was going to fail anyway. Give her credit for voting Obama's....I mean her conscience.

I heard a plausible theory on Hagan's vote. She knows she'll likely lose and she is looking for a strong recommendation from the NAACP for a job in the final 2 years in the Obama administration

Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,276,696 times
Does anyone know the last day(actual date) to register before primaries. I plan to switch to Unaffiliated and vote for lesser evil.

Btw, Tillis is banking on a run off as why there is so many candidates.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Does anyone know the last day(actual date) to register before primaries. I plan to switch to Unaffiliated and vote for lesser evil.

Btw, Tillis is banking on a run off as why there is so many candidates.

I heard the exact opposite about Tillis. First it will cost him money he'd rather throw at Hagan, but more importantly the non-establishment candidates will tend to grow in viability over time.

The debate is going to be a bloodbath for Tillis. Assuming all candidates are invited, he’s going to have a team on 7 or 8 ganging up on him. If he gets to face Hagan he’ll face far less pressure.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I heard the exact opposite about Tillis. First it will cost him money he'd rather throw at Hagan, but more importantly the non-establishment candidates will tend to grow in viability over time.

The debate is going to be a bloodbath for Tillis. Assuming all candidates are invited, he’s going to have a team on 7 or 8 ganging up on him. If he gets to face Hagan he’ll face far less pressure.
There only 2 months if the other candidates dont have much time at all. Tillis has name recognition which will help, Mark Harris and Greg Brannon is only other serious contenders. The other candidates will split Harris and Brannon votes causing one of them to have very close to amount of votes as Tillis resulting in a run off. This why I want to switchto unaffiliated so I can vote for Brannon as Harris would be scary what would happen.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:

There only 2 months the other candidates dont have much time at all. Tillis has name recognition which will help, Mark Harris and Greg Brannon is only other serious contenders. The other candidates will split Harris and Brannon votes causing one of them to have very close to amount of votes as Tillis resulting in a run off. This why I want to switchto unaffiliated so I can vote for Brannon as Harris would be scary what would happen.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM

Truthfully I know little about Harris, but I've followed Brannon closely. There might not be someone in the world who is better read than him when it comes to both the US and NC Constitution. Even if you prefer a more liberal interpretation of these docs, it is impressive to listen to him back his arguments with the writings of the authors of these docs.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,224,006 times
Quote:
Explain this too me.

McCrory beat Dalton--easily

Romney beat Obama--close

and it looks like Hagen would lose to anyone who gets through the GOP primary.
McCrory has been campaigning since like 2006/7. Bev Perdue pooped the pot then decided to not run in January 2012, giving Dalton an even bigger losing hand.

All you have to look at is the results from the 2012 House of Representatives elections. 50% voted democratic, 49% voted republican. Basically even.

Yet the Republicans picked up three seats, making it a 9-4 split. It was a 655 votes from being 10-3 split.

To accurately represent NC, it should've stayed 7/6, either side.

I don't understand why I keep having to repeat these facts and why it is hard to understand.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
McCrory has been campaigning since like 2006/7. Bev Perdue pooped the pot then decided to not run in January 2012, giving Dalton an even bigger losing hand.

All you have to look at is the results from the 2012 House of Representatives elections. 50% voted democratic, 49% voted republican. Basically even.

Yet the Republicans picked up three seats, making it a 9-4 split. It was a 655 votes from being 10-3 split.

To accurately represent NC, it should've stayed 7/6, either side.

I don't understand why I keep having to repeat these facts and why it is hard to understand.
It stinks doesn’t it Bojangles. Where could the Republicans learned these Gerrymandering tricks? Let’s look at the election after the 2000 census.
GA HOUSE
1,109,755 Republican votes
1,022,552 Democrat votes
Results. Democrats win state house 28-22.

US House
1,209,033 Republican votes
970, 716 Democrat votes
Republicans have 7 seats to the democrat’s 6, however somehow they were able to actually take a seat away from the republicans with less votes.
Senate
Dole defeats Bowles by around 200k votes.

BTW. I agree this needs to change now. It should be fixed now before we know that the 2020 looks like.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,020,524 times
Quote:
Explain this too me.

McCrory beat Dalton--easily

Romney beat Obama--close

and it looks like Hagen would lose to anyone who gets through the GOP primary.
That's easy to explain. NC has a long history of splitting its vote between who runs the state and who runs the country. NC is the ultimate purple state and its votes would appear random to many who don't understand.

Right now the Republicans who represent NC in Raleigh and Washington weren't all put there by the will of the people of NC. The 9-4 US House representation by the Republicans without winning the majority of the votes in NC is probably the most egregious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina