Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times

Advertisements

Can somebody say Fay-ette-ville?

There I've said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 9,412 times
ugh, Jacksonville is definitely the worst...it even makes Fayetteville look awesome. At least there are some pockets of culture in Fayetteville, Jacksonville has absolutely nothing going for it.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 PM

25 posts, read 106,237 times
i know people are being honest and yeah fayetteville has its down side but so does other places, fayetteville is now about the same size as durham and winston salem, and durham is known for its crime, the only thing you ever hear of fayetteville is either this crime happened or the military have been sent over seas, other than that nothing is ever said of it, durham has crime but its part of the triangle so "we'll over look that", charlotte has the most crime, but its the big city here so "we'll over look that", i'm sorry but i'm tired of hearing all of the negativity towards fayetteville from all the other cities, fayetteville has more history than charlotte, raleigh, durham, greensboro and winston salem, back in the early days the big places of north carolina were new bern, wilmington and fayetteville. fayetteville was even used as the state capital. fayetteville has taken a beaten over the centuries, ever since the 1800s the great fire that burnt down over 100 buildings and homes and for a population of 3k-4k back then that was quite a bit, and then 50 years down the road during the civil war sherman and the union army went and burnt it down again, had to rebuild. fayetteville has had a rough history and has fought for its place. and granted having fort bragg there has been a great asset and a horrible crutch, depending to much on it and not becoming more self reliant, but also now that all the textile jobs and plants that went over seas, so they can people a fraction of the money they have to here and make a profit, the same goes for most of eastern north carolina, the tobacco farms and textile plants that used to be the economy here are now gone. so give a little understanding before you so harshly judge an area

Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 PM

and this isnt a civil war thing, north vs. south, east vs. west, this is mainly to the people born and raised in north carolina and put down fayetteville

Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
I was born and raised in NC. Spent some of that time in Fayetteville. I don't like it. I'm not trying to be negative. Just honest. :-\

Old 09-07-2007, 07:24 PM

dont care about stating your opinion but being down right rude about it, and yes i said it has its down side, but you know when people go say that everyone there is mean and rude well your throwing me and my whole family in that category and i'm sorry but take offense to that

Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 PM

5 posts, read 19,198 times
I'm right there with you Caveman...Asheville has become known as "anything goes". I left Asheville in 2000, never once have I regreted it.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Can't say that I blame ya for that, wsncfay. I know some great people in Fayetteville and some not-so-great (including some of my own family lol). That's true pretty much anywhere you go.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 50,441 times
Angry worst places in nc

i personally would say,do not move to johnston county unless you can get in the country areas because the towns are horrible.crime,verrrry high utilities,people cannot drive(they do not use signals at all),you tend to find yourself not getting answers to anything.unless you are from here,they really treat you like an outsider.the police are either afraid of the gangs or working with them.ther is one officer in smithfield(ryen sheppard)and selma(steve bissell)who try to do something about it but they have no help from anyone it seems like.if you have children,it is not much for them to do unless you like traveling.i moved here about 6months ago and my rent is $750 and i have paid a $500 utility deposit and every bit of $1900 for utilities since 3/07 and that does not include having to buy oil in the winter.i feel it was just a bad move or i may have just got a bad deal.do not get me wrong,smithfield has a lot of shopping and food restaurants but i would rather visit every once in a while than live here.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 24,253 times
Reply to NCurbanNative - As far as the WNC Redneck population goes, I'd have to say you have them pegged, but there are a number of good citizens here (including myself). If you want an honest, accurate picture of WNC or Marion NC ask a native. I grew up in Marion and unfortunately still live here. My husband doesn't want to leave, so I'm stuck in this miserable town. We go to surrounding towns to shop or for entertainment because there's nothing here. Disability is the largest employer in McDowell County. There are some beautiful areas, but you have to drive through junk yards, unkept redneck neighborhoods and empty strip malls to get there. People here hate zoning and don't even know what it is or how it could benefit them by keeping trailer parks from bringing down the value of their property. Income is very low and housing is outrageously inflated. Realtors are trying to sell to people out of state who are willing to pay the exhorbitant prices. McDowell County has the potential to be something because it shares Lake James with a neighboring county, but City and County council will not take advantage of it. County council is too busy taking advantage of the courthouse fund. That's not the half of it. Considering moving to Marion or McDowell County? My advice, try Asheville, Hickory or Hendersonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina