Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times

Advertisements

Here's some southern hospitality for you.... Do you need any boxes for your move?

Raeford isn't exactly what one would call a cultural center. I'm having a hard time seeing a town with a Turkey Festival also having a sold-out performance of Les Miserables.

Contrary to your belief, most native North Carolinaians are far more open-minded than you appear to be in your post. I'm a native and I would consider myself to be, at the very least, somewhat open-minded.

If you really do believe you lost any IQ points, and I'll say this with a comparable tone to yours, go the hell back to wherever you came from and get them back.

More souther hospitality......y'ant some gas fer yer U-haul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingnc View Post
We were forced to move here by the military. We have lived here for 9 years and we are finally leaving this awful state! If it had been our choice, we would have left 9 years ago. But the military saw fit for us to be here.

Worst towns in NC - well we lived in Raeford, which has got to be one of the worst, but through our adventures throughout NC, the whole state is in bad shape. Since we are "transplants", we have had the opportunity to experience life outside of NC and this whole state is in need of serious help.

The people - well you can forget about that whole "southern hospitality" thing. The people here are disrespectful, rude, selfish, uneducated... I could go on. Just read the posts of people who live here and I'm sure you'll see a fine example of the education system. And I hope that no one moving here is expecting to find people who are cultured because I haven't met a single "born & raised" North Carolinian who has left the state, even on vacation. There are some people who have never even left their town.

The environment, well, most of my opinion is based on not being from a climate like this one. It's way too hot and humid. In the summer, you'll need to take at least 3 showers a day just to feel clean. In the winter, well, if you like hanging your Christmas lights in shorts, this is your place.

As for things to do, we're too far from anything to comment. I'm sure there are lots of things to do in this state, but where we're located, all activities have to be planned and vacation days need to be taken. The coast is the closest, at about 2.5 hours, and that's if you like the crowded, party-type beaches. The hills - that's about 4-5 hours, not exactly a day trip. And the mountains - you're looking at 8-9 hours. Driving to a bigger city definately offers more, with Raleigh being about an hour away and Charlotte about 2 hours.

The roads - this state offers few scenic drives. Hope you're not expecting a clean road, as everyone here seems to just throw their trash out their window. And what's with the loaves of bread? Seems about weekly that we would see a whole loaf of bread (still in the bag) on the side of the road. I've seen everything from fast food containers to full diapers - not only on the side of the road but in the parking lots. Nothing beats pulling into a parking spot than having to step over a squished and splattered diaper. If people are like this everywhere, then it's no wonder that we have such environmental issues.

Education - that is probably the biggest joke ever. Had we been warned about the education system in Raeford, we would have avoided it like the plague. My husband and I both took classes at the local colleges and, let's just say that we took harder classes in high school. My kids went to school in Raeford and I think they have learned more over the summer than they did in school. I worked at that same school and from a behind the scenes view - A LOT needs to be done to fix the schools in Raeford. My husband and I joke that we've lost I.Q. points by living in NC.

The best reason I've heard yet for the pathetic excuse for the way they do things here - "That's the way it's always been done." And that quote, comes directly from the principal at my children's school. And the base commander.

And for anyone who thinks I'm being harsh, I probably am being a little over-the-top. But, I have been hearing about how great "where we came from" is and how "we" did it "back home."

I'm sorry, but if it's so great back home, and things were run so much better, GO BACK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:24 AM

I'll also add that I have some really wonderful friends from Raeford. So please don't take my previous post as an attack on Raeford. It is not.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Thumbs up Worst or possibly assistance challenged?

I like to think of some cities as assistance challenged, where they receive little public assistance and don't have enough to offer y'all transplants. North Carolina is the sixth fastest growing State in The Union and, to our dismay, we welcome all.

Perhaps some compassion and humility from transplants is in order?

Anyway, to quote an old southern saying.

Y'all made that long trip down here and now want to go back?..."Bless your hearts".

Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
One morning my wife (who is from NC) and some friends was going to stop at the Bojangles in Fayettenam...er, Fayetteville. It was being robbed as they arrived there. Suffice it to say that alternate breakfast arrangements were made.

I've got to put in a vote for the nameless, faceless pseudo-suburban mess that has accumulated along I-40@NC 42. I used to live there.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capefear01 View Post
Spring Lake, I call it Fayetteville Light.
"Fayetteville Light"?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:15 AM

I've heard that tem used more than once. No idea where it came from.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:37 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Another vote for Fayetteville

The town is made up of mostly arrogant Army grunts who think they're all that, some Air Force, and the rest are either retired military that grew to like the town or scum bags that are a burden to society.

Traffic is bad and the town is full of discourteous drivers with road rage running thru their veins. More than 3/4 of the clowns out here can't drive for ****.

There's lots of shady businesses that take advantage of you, loan sharks with overinflated interest rates, bars on every street corners with a strip club here and there, car dealerships with their lots full of used lemons....

One of the best attractions is a water park that is in a lake of nasty dirty sewage-like looking water. There used to be a nice lake in the southern part until the dam busted 4 years ago and it's still not fixed yet.

The cops don't do much of anything except bull**** in the Food Lion parking lot all hours of the night....and that's when they're not trying to pick out hookers along Mike and Bragg.

If you're house is getting burglarized you might as well keep a loaded gun on hand and take the law into your own hands. About the only way to get the cops to your door any faster is if you mention the magical word "homicide".

If you get in an accident, don't expect the cops to show up for 35 minutes or better. I know first hand on this one when some girl plowed into the rear of my vehicle. Anywhere else they'd be on the scene in 15 minutes or less.

About the only good things (if anything) is if you're a big eater there is an abundance of restaurants. There is also a coliseum that occasionally has a good show come thru and there is also a mediocre drag strip at the edge of town. There's also a few movie theaters and an ok putt putt golf course.

There's also 4 Super Wal Marts here; don't shop at the one on Skibo Rd unless you don't mind not being able to find a place to park, or having to stand in line forever to check out, or if you don't want to be bothered by 5-6 bums who hang out in the parking lot trying to sell fake/stolen Rolex's and whatnot.

The beach is 2.5-3 hours east of here and the mountains are another 3 hours west.

If you're a guy and you are single forget about trying to pick up any decent women here; the Army has taken them all and what's left are usually overweight unattractive broads, usually with some sort of extra baggage, that you'd need to bring a bag with you in case theirs busts. You're best bet is to hit further up north for hot chicks.

If you're a girl and single, you can pick and choose to your hearts consent.

Oh, and the only ones who get ticked off because of someone bashing Fayetteville are the ones who are stuck there for life and/or too blind to realize that town is a festering arm pit.

They tried to shake the name in the 1980's by cleaning up downtown Hay st, but as long as there's high crime, high corruption, very bad drivers, etc....this town will always be known as "Fayettenam"

I have family down there. I find your argument fairly accurate.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:52 PM

25 posts, read 106,248 times
so calling everyone else in the city a scumbag is accurate? i find that to be a rather offensive remark being born and raised in fayetteville.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Well, I gotta say Smithfield, I remember all too well the billboard on 70 going through town, big billboard, and written on it in very large letters " WELCOME TO SMITHFIELD THIS IS KLAN COUNTRY" never did feel good about being in their town.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 53,264 times
Well iHate to be the one to do this but I have to defend Fayetteville we always seem to get the short end on this conversation i have lived here all my life with exception of my military career and Fayetteville has responded to many of these issues we are currently renovating the downtown district to include upscale condo projects and nice retail space.the bad reputation comes from years of us providing entertainment for the troops which consisted of night life and of course the dreaded strip clubs.We have many ammenities good outdoors activities good nightlife and great shopping and by far are not the worst place in north carolina to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina