Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times

Advertisements

I was in Jacksonville 3 months ago. Oh my In the past I would say 'well at least it is close to the coast' but I don't even think that can help. What a depressing, dirty town that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
There are some remote towns in the eastern part of the state that are just dreadful. Depressing, backwoods, poor little towns that are going nowhere fast. Chadbourn, Tabor City, Bladenboro, Kenansville, Roseboro, etc. I don't want to come across as rude or disrespectful, but you really need to visit these towns up close. People talk about the urban/rural division in this state and let me tell you, it's apparent. Compare Chadbourn (if any of y'all are familiar with this town) to the immediate surroundings of RTP and get back to me.
I actually mentioned Chadbourn in this thread way back when. Stopped to eat there on a weekend afternoon coming back from the coast and not a soul other than the group I was with came in the whole time. We might as well have been in a ghost town.

It seems a lot of these towns depend on vacation travelers to eat and shop at their establishments. Downtown Chadbourn for example had maybe 2 or 3 buildings that were actually occupied and at least 1 or those had a Going Out of Business sign in the window. And this was back in 2005, I can't imagine things got any better there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Most of the towns in NC are boring disasters.
If you want good, fun areas with lots of activity choices, then go into bigger metro cities: Raleigh, Greensboro, Asheville, Charlotte.

Anywhere else you go, you will mostly find a very laid-back (TOO LAID BACK) energy about the entire place. Lots of low lives that want to do nothing more than sit around drinking/smoking weed and listening to rap. Jacksonville is terrible because it's overrun with military. Goldsboro is overpopulated with military also and it's even more boring than Jacksonville.
LOL is this the tipping point?

Old 07-31-2015, 10:14 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
It's true lots of our rural towns or struggling but plenty of you guys sound like huge *******s talking crap about places you've only rode through, stopped and ate it, or bought a souvenir.

I'm also sick and tired of urban professionals / inner city dwellers acting like rural folk are inferior or something

I saw some of the deepest bonds of friendship and caring from folk who live in the trailer park just in way my suburban friends can't even relate too.

Anyway I'm just not sure if there is anything else here other than folks preening themselves over the economically less fortunate.

It's so hilarious the constant drumbeat of our urban dwellers acting closed minded about rural communities by calling them...closed minded. "Oh my God this place has only a McDonalds and no Chipotle and no trendy bars QUICK lets get out of here. "

Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM

20 posts, read 27,911 times
Default Absolutely not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
C'mon man, you know good and well that his post is true, just like you know good and well that people aren't talking about jewish ghettos, or Irish ghettos, or Yiddish, or Italian ghettos, neither or they talking about a place but are referring to people, all the poster was saying is be real because code words fool no one.

(this portion is not a response to you)Back on the subject, Durham is no where near the worst town in NC, since moving to the triangle(Cary) I notice that tons of people here shelter themselves and honestly just don't know what they are talking about(I know this because I've talk to too many people that have never heard of several places in the city they claim to have grown their whole lives in.) I think people watch the news and let it just completely scare the absolute sh*t out of them so they stay in their corners. Most crime in any city isn't happening all over, and the vast majority of it isn't random, Durham is actually one of the cooler areas in NC, I think older people(I only say this because it is only older people that I talked to who swear Durham is some dangerous place but when you ask them when is the last time they have been, the answer if often either never, I don't go, or a couple of decades ago) just don't like to challenge the ideas they have in their heads.

Fayetteville is another place that gets bashed, and don't get me wrong, I don't really like it much either, but growing up their I know a lot of what people say about it is nonsense. Again, crime is nothing most people in Fayetteville in reality have to worry about. This is not to say that many don't worry about it, yes a lot do, because of perception and the perception is because many again, read stories on the news, and don't look to see that it's happening in the same area, and unless you actually live in that neighborhood or near that street, then you are in no danger. Only thing that has ever happened is my bike was stolen when I didn't tie it up.

There are several other places I would not want to be then any of these, what are you going to do in places like Coats, Erwin, Buies Creek, Linden, Spiveys Corner, Dunn, Bunnlevel, Cameron, Carthage, Angier, etc etc I could go on and on, I think some are again, not basing this off actually experiencing these places, but news, which mostly only covers negative stories because that's what gets views.
Sorry, but I think that is just being oversensitive. I've lived all over the world and in most countries, particularly Europe, if you hear the word ghetto, most people DO NOT think of blacks. It can be any marginalized group of of people living in a poor area. The ghetto in the Philippines that I went to was definitely not black. Some of the larger ghettos in Europe are Muslim. Americans think they own the ghetto, but it is not originally American at all. It is a result of poor education and an American world view. When people say ghetto, they mean poor and low class, which is sad, because ghettos have a history of a rich cultural heritage. Some of the old ghettos in Europe are now tourist attractions.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:53 PM

20 posts, read 27,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
It's true lots of our rural towns or struggling but plenty of you guys sound like huge *******s talking crap about places you've only rode through, stopped and ate it, or bought a souvenir.

I'm also sick and tired of urban professionals / inner city dwellers acting like rural folk are inferior or something

I saw some of the deepest bonds of friendship and caring from folk who live in the trailer park just in way my suburban friends can't even relate too.

Anyway I'm just not sure if there is anything else here other than folks preening themselves over the economically less fortunate.

It's so hilarious the constant drumbeat of our urban dwellers acting closed minded about rural communities by calling them...closed minded. "Oh my God this place has only a McDonalds and no Chipotle and no trendy bars QUICK lets get out of here. "
I love the rural communities of North Carolina. You can go swimming in the streams, tubing down the rivers, hike, enjoy the outdoors, garden and so much more. In most of the small towns there is very little crime. I don't understand the prejudice against trailer parks. Out here in California, we have some trailer parks that it takes half a million to live in. Heck, the average trailer out here costs more than the average home in North Carolina. I'm moving out of the crime and drug riddled hell that is California and moving back to N.C.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:45 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cation50 View Post
Sorry, but I think that is just being oversensitive. I've lived all over the world and in most countries, particularly Europe, if you hear the word ghetto, most people DO NOT think of blacks. It can be any marginalized group of of people living in a poor area. The ghetto in the Philippines that I went to was definitely not black. Some of the larger ghettos in Europe are Muslim. Americans think they own the ghetto, but it is not originally American at all. It is a result of poor education and an American world view. When people say ghetto, they mean poor and low class, which is sad, because ghettos have a history of a rich cultural heritage. Some of the old ghettos in Europe are now tourist attractions.
No oversensitivity and you know it, neither is it poor education and a American world view(assumptions, assumptions) my statement wasn't all ghettos are black, neither was it when people are talking about xyz ghetto they are talking about black ghettos, as in the place where groups of people live. When the term ghetto is thrown around in regards to a group of people, not where they live but a group of people(as in such and such is so ghetto, or it's gets ghetto over there) they know exactly who they are talking about. No Irish, No Italians, No Jews, No Muslims, etc etc that lived in xyz ghetto were called ghetto themselves(again this is 2015 in NC which is in the US, they are not talking about Italian Ghettos, or Irish Ghettos, or Jewish Ghettos, or Muslim Ghettos, or Filipino Ghettos) . When people use this as a code word again, they know exactly who they are talking about, the original person who responded to you simply stated that it is cowardice, and people should just say exactly who they are talking about, and defend their statement.

I don't have no beef you, my statement was only a back up to the original poster who mentioned it( only skimmed through this thread and responded to a few statements I read), don't want to take over this thread so if you still want to discuss this just message me.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:01 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I was in Jacksonville 3 months ago. Oh my In the past I would say 'well at least it is close to the coast' but I don't even think that can help. What a depressing, dirty town that is.

I actually mentioned Chadbourn in this thread way back when. Stopped to eat there on a weekend afternoon coming back from the coast and not a soul other than the group I was with came in the whole time. We might as well have been in a ghost town.

It seems a lot of these towns depend on vacation travelers to eat and shop at their establishments. Downtown Chadbourn for example had maybe 2 or 3 buildings that were actually occupied and at least 1 or those had a Going Out of Business sign in the window. And this was back in 2005, I can't imagine things got any better there.
Chadbourn has probably gotten worse, it's not worth stopping there. Tabor City down the road is slightly better, but still. Columbus and Robeson Counties are basically rural Deep South in a bad way. The small towns in Eastern NC are more economically depressed than the Piedmont and Western NC towns, almost seems like that area was never the same since the collapse of the plantation system.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

NC has some great small towns that, at first glance, may not look like much. You honestly DO have to get out of the car and give it a chance to see what's there - driving by on the bypass is no way to judge a small town.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:38 PM

233 posts, read 243,262 times
All the town East of I-95 expect Wilson and Greenville. The rest of the regions towns, and cities are pathetic. The Eastern NC politicians are lazy and flat out dumber than a bag rocks. Plus the area is smothered with old N.I.M.B.Y.'s locals and Northerners that say no to any type of economic development in the reason. The Old farts hate anything progressive but constantly complain about the crime in the region. Eastern NC towns are the arm pits of NC

Old 08-02-2015, 03:42 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
All the town East of I-95 expect Wilson and Greenville. The rest of the regions towns, and cities are pathetic. The Eastern NC politicians are lazy and flat out dumber than a bag rocks. Plus the area is smothered with old N.I.M.B.Y.'s locals and Northerners that say no to any type of economic development in the reason. The Old farts hate anything progressive but constantly complain about the crime in the region. Eastern NC towns are the arm pits of NC
Northerners are seriously moving into Eastern NC with the exception of the coast? That's surprising, I wouldn't expect a transplant from Long Island living out in Kinston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina