Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times

Advertisements

What can I say, I'm a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:11 AM

154 posts, read 230,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snotnosedgit View Post
The small eastern NC towns listed here (e.g. Williamston and especially Columbia) are pretty much so out of the way that any relocated Yankee would have to take about 20 or 30 wrong turns to end up there and if they somehow did wind up in a place like Columbia they'd immediately fill up their car with gas and get the hell out. The locals are just fine with that so it's a win win for everybody.
As a "Yankee" looking for a place to retire in North Carolina, thanks for the heads up.
It's good to know where people are so small minded as to dislike someone just because they happen to be born in a certain area of the country.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
Here's what i consider the worst of North Carolina.

Like many others have said, Kinston is a dump that keeps crumbling every year.

Garysburg is a gruesome place.

East side of Rocky Mount is awful.

Never really cared for Robersonville and Williamston.

I don't recommend Clinton or Spring Lake at all.

Laurinburg, Lumberton and Raeford - Just...ugh. This area is probably my least favorite part of North Carolina. Ugly cities with crime issues, and surrounded by not-so-good smaller places (Looking at you, Fairmont, Pembroke and Rowland). I don't recommend living in this three-county area.

There is nothing in Hyde and Tyrrell counties.

Sanford has become populated with illegal aliens. And i believe Siler City has too.

Honorable mentions go out to Henderson and Plymouth.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:57 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjazz View Post
As a "Yankee" looking for a place to retire in North Carolina, thanks for the heads up.
It's good to know where people are so small minded as to dislike someone just because they happen to be born in a certain area of the country.
Have you seen all the southerner religious and rural bigotry transplants broadcast on this forum when they plan their move?

"I'm worried about racism" "I'm worried about too many Christians" etc etc

Honestly this entire topic is unfriendly to our rural communities and guess is just a years long bash session to them. As Donald Trump would say: SAD!

Last edited by hey_guy; 05-19-2016 at 05:05 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
I just drove through Warsaw on my way home from Wilmington. Warsaw was depressing. First thing I saw going into town was abandoned houses and businesses, boarded up churches even, finally got into town and got a dollar store, piggly wiggly, quik shop, another quick shop, more abandoned houses and back on I-40 thank Gbus. That town's got to be up there.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I just drove through Warsaw on my way home from Wilmington. Warsaw was depressing. First thing I saw going into town was abandoned houses and businesses, boarded up churches even, finally got into town and got a dollar store, piggly wiggly, quik shop, another quick shop, more abandoned houses and back on I-40 thank Gbus. That town's got to be up there.
Yep, it's a dump. I lived in Warsaw from 1998-2000 and it wasn't the prettiest town then, though it looked slightly better than it does now. The last time I drove through Warsaw was in 2013 and our old house looked like nobody's lived in it for at least 30 years. I barely recognized it. Used to be a decent house. That Piggly Wiggly you saw used to be a Hannaford grocery store but they closed around August in 2000 and Piggly Wiggly took over the building. There also used to be a Kerr Drug beside it. The building that the "Warsaw Gun & Pawn" shop is in used to be a Western Auto. I didn't shed any tears when I found out Western Auto closed not long after we left. The owner and his son were complete jackasses. I'll leave it at that. The old man died a few years ago and his son is currently an insurance agent. Warsaw wouldn't be as depressing if the town would just clean their **** up. I doubt it'll ever happen.

Last edited by LM117; 05-24-2016 at 05:17 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I took a wrong turn coming home from the beach last year or year before and ended up in Tabor City. Poor decrepit Tabor City.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Anyone ever driven through Rowland, which is on the NC/SC border near "South of the border"? That town is scary. About 70% of the downtown area is boarded up and everything was crumbling. You can add that to the list of worst towns in the state.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:12 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Deindustrialization and the offshoring of manufacturing really hit Eastern NC hard. Many of these towns were at least decent places to live 20-30 years ago.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:09 PM

284 posts, read 269,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydbarker View Post
GREENSBORO.. The taxes are Too high for what you get. If You have a problem regarding city government, you can never,never get anyone to take the matter up with. I'm gettin' outta here as soon as I sell my home.
Where are you going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina