Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 PM

401 posts, read 656,663 times

Advertisements

The numbers are not wrong.
Those numbers SPECIFICALLY say 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
The numbers are not wrong.
Those numbers SPECIFICALLY say 2012.

Fayetteville isn't a booming sort of place. Doesn't mean that it's not a lovely place for some folks to live. I know people who live there and like it well enough. I think that they need to do more than try to build skyscrapers in a city that doesn't need them, though.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
And those 30k have spouses, kids, etc. it adds up.
According to wikipedia, only 53,301 children go to Cumberland County/Fort Bragg Schools.
If we add 53,000 and 30 thousand we get 83k. If we were to assume only half of the fort bragg soldiers were married then we would have 98,000. Fort Bragg only extends slightly in Fayetteville, it also extends into Hoke County. Fayetteville is 92.9 square miles. 40k of the population live on Fort Bragg. The neighborhoods such as Devonwood, Loch Lomond, Waters Edge, Gates 4, Forest Creek Estates, Jamestown and much more are NO WHERE NEAR Fort Bragg. The apartment complexes Cambridge Arms, Barton Landing, Independence place and much more are NO WHERE NEAR Fort Bragg.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
According to wikipedia, only 53,301 children go to Cumberland County/Fort Bragg Schools.
If we add 53,000 and 30 thousand we get 83k. If we were to assume only half of the fort bragg soldiers were married then we would have 98,000. Fort Bragg only extends slightly in Fayetteville, it also extends into Hoke County. Fayetteville is 92.9 square miles. 40k of the population live on Fort Bragg. The neighborhoods such as Devonwood, Loch Lomond, Waters Edge, Gates 4, Forest Creek Estates, Jamestown and much more are NO WHERE NEAR Fort Bragg. The apartment complexes Cambridge Arms, Barton Landing, Independence place and much more are NO WHERE NEAR Fort Bragg.

I suspect that if someone had the money and the interest in putting skyscrapers in Fayetteville, they'd be there.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:05 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
Quote:
Actually, many of those places you've listed ARE close to Bragg....Cambridge Arms is just a few miles down the street from the Yadkin gate. Gates Four is not that far from the Cliffdale side of the base. Many of these other ones are off of Morganton, Yadkin, and Cliffdale, which all run right into Ft. Bragg.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
Quote:
I suspect that if someone had the money and the interest in putting skyscrapers in Fayetteville, they'd be there.
But WHY do we NEED them?? People recognize the Systel Building and the Market House as Fayetteville's "skyline."

Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
But WHY do we NEED them?? People recognize the Systel Building and the Market House as Fayetteville's "skyline."
I don't think they're necessary at all. The OP does.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
The buildings on Raeford/Skibo road are pretty nice and a little tall. That hotel on Raeford Road is I think 7 or 8 floors.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:19 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Fayetteville has bigger worries with strip clubs and the like keeping private investment away.

They need to almost have a cultural purge, before anything not military-related will invest there. The same with Jacksonville.

Neon glow of strip clubs dims Fayetteville's plans for Bragg Boulevard - fayobserver.com: Local News

Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Was it a large party or something?

I will admit that I don't hang out in Fayetteville, but I used to go there pretty often.

I never saw anything that screamed "rolling in money" about that area.

Ever.
I'm a Fayetteville native and I've been here for the last 3 decades, and I haven't seen it either.
I spend a lot of time downtown; I've worked on a lot the buildings during their renovations, and my wife sells at the farmers' market every Saturday. There are a few rich people who own a lot of property, but they don't "hang" out down there. It's mainly young professionals and people associated with the court house and county/city offices: lawyers, clerks, a small art scene, office workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina