Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:54 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

Bear with me for some background info.. . . .

I've got new (actually, used) car fever, and while searching the internet classifieds back in December, I came across the perfect car at a good price and convenient to Raleigh. It was in Winston Salem and was registered in NC. Unfortunately, it was Christmas, and we were planning a trip to Arizona to visit my family, yadda, yadda, yadda. . . so I did not follow up on the car. After the holidays, I looked for the car and it was not for sale anymore.

Fast forward to this week. The same car shows up on the internet classifieds in Boston. It seems that a guy in Boston bought the car from the guy in Winston Salem and is now trying to flip it. The pictures on the classified ad do not show any plates on the car, and the Carfax does not yet show that he registered it in MA. I have contacted the seller and asked for the status of the car's registration, title, etc.

It seems like it would be beneficial to me if he has not gone through the process of registering the car in MA and getting new plates. If I was to fly up there to MA and buy the car, how would I get it back to NC with no plates? Would the DMV here in NC give me temporary ones, or would MA need to do that? I'm unfamiliar with this process. The last time I bought a used car it was at a dealer in the same state that I lived, and they took care of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 AM

Seller says that he has not registered the car in MA yet. He paid in cash, so he has the clean title without any loans, in hand.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
... If I was to fly up there to MA and buy the car, how would I get it back to NC with no plates?
This is what I would do... expedient but not completely legal.

Take the plates off any car which you now own and is insured. Fly to MA, buy the car (with valid NC title signed and notarized), slap your NC plates on the car, and drive it home.

My insurance agent says I am covered for any car I am driving, so the worst infraction in this scenario is "improper registration" which is not a moving violation.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Take the plates off any car which you now own and is insured. Fly to MA, buy the car (with valid NC title signed and notarized), slap your NC plates on the car, and drive it home.
I wondered if that was an option. Just need to make sure I don't arouse any attention when driving the 800 miles back from Boston. Thanks for the idea.

Any other recommendations? My next door neighbor is friends with a used car dealer. Maybe I'll ask him this question as well.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 PM

28 posts, read 91,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post

... so the worst infraction in this scenario is "improper registration" which is not a moving violation.

Not 100% true...could be charged with failure to register a vehicle, no insurance, fictitious tags (and have your tags taken away)...and probably a few more...

For some reason, buying a car and getting it back to be registered in NC is completely unfair for the buyer.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-495 View Post
Not 100% true...could be charged with failure to register a vehicle, no insurance, fictitious tags (and have your tags taken away)...and probably a few more...
Damn. I thought we were on to something. . . .

Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Seller says that he has not registered the car in MA yet. He paid in cash, so he has the clean title without any loans, in hand.
Is this person in MA an individual or a dealer? If he's a dealer then he should be able to provide you with a bill of sale and temporary tag to drive it home. You would only need to make sure the vehicle is insured before you start driving home.

If he's an individual then that is tricky. I'd probably take the risk with a plate from another car and just make sure you get an invoice or SOMETHING from the seller to take with you. Only a complete jerk cop will bust you if you explain the situation. Again, make sure the car is insured before you leave and if you want to take it to another level fill out a NC Title App and keep it with you. If the cop pulls you over just tell him "hey I just bought the car (show him paperwork) and will be transferring the tag immediately when I get to NC.

Lastly, if he is willing have your used car dealer friend buy it for you and use their dealer plate to transport the car. Then when you get home he can sell it to you (for a small fee) and you can use that paperwork/title reassignment to finish the process.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Is this person in MA an individual or a dealer? If he's a dealer then he should be able to provide you with a bill of sale and temporary tag to drive it home.
That's a good question. I have assumed that he's an individual because the pictures of the car were taken in his driveway, but I could be wrong. He's obviously bought the car for the purpose of flipping it. Maybe he only does this a few times a year. I'm not sure what the rules in MA are for having a car "dealer" license. I'll ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Lastly, if he is willing, have your used car dealer friend buy it for you and use their dealer plate to transport the car.
That's certainly another option. Unfortunately I have been unable to contact my neighbor to see what advice his car dealer friend has. He is an airline pilot and is often away for a few days at a time.

My other quandary is the pre-purchase inspection. If the car has no tags, how can I take it for a test drive, or how can I take it to a mechanic to look over?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
That's a good question. I have assumed that he's an individual because the pictures of the car were taken in his driveway, but I could be wrong. He's obviously bought the car for the purpose of flipping it. Maybe he only does this a few times a year. I'm not sure what the rules in MA are for having a car "dealer" license. I'll ask.

That's certainly another option. Unfortunately I have been unable to contact my neighbor to see what advice his car dealer friend has. He is an airline pilot and is often away for a few days at a time.

My other quandary is the pre-purchase inspection. If the car has no tags, how can I take it for a test drive, or how can I take it to a mechanic to look over?
Well to test-drive it or take it to a mechanic you need to figure out the other stuff first. (Whether he's a dealer and has a tag, etc.) Also, does he have insurance on the car? Who's insurance is covering it when you would be test driving it and getting it checked out? How did he transport it back to MA if he is not a dealer and isn't registering it there?

Just seems like an awful lot of trouble to me for a car. There are thousands of used cars in our area where you don't have to deal with this stuff. This better be a special car......

Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
The proper way to do this is to obtain a temporary transport tag from the state in which you purchase the vehicle. You should never take a plate off another vehicle--this will get you a ticket and a hefty fine if you're pulled over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina