Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:27 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
School is for education, not a soapbox for making personal statements.
Most children are not trying to use school as a "soapbox for making personal statements." I would argue that most kids, at that age, don't even know what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 PM

838 posts, read 1,353,418 times
Putting on flame retardant suit. Flame away.

Yes, the kid should be allowed to bring whatever kind of lunch box he wants but IMO, I blame the parents. This shouldn't be no surprise to any parent. Did they honestly think they could send their 9-year old boy to school with a pink my little pony lunch box and not get bullied?

A 9-year old boy should know by that age that the lunch box is targeted for girls. I feel sorry for the kid. He's probably confused as hell and has no idea whats going on. Don't make an example out of your kid just because you think society should react the way you want it to react.

Life is cruel. Stop babying your children or they will get eaten alive when they are on their own.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:36 AM

494 posts, read 816,231 times
The age range for the My Little Pony is pre-k and kindergarten. By 9 years of age both boys and girls are beyond that level. I agree this is an issue with the parenting and not helping the child pick an age appropriate back pack.

I'm sure there is much more to this story than we know.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
rebellious, it's obvious you didn't even bother to click through any of the links. The bag in question is blue.

ncbeckster, that's not really true about the age range. It's a comic book as well and there's a huge teen and grown-up market for My Little Pony stuff. They have MLP conventions and there is a huge, huge Brony community (Boys/Bros who like MLP). It's geeky like other comic book culture or Star Trek or something, but it definitely is not targeted exclusively for pre-k. That's not to say that there isn't some appeal to pre-k with the toys, but the show is not Bob-the-Builder, Dora the Explorer type. It's more like "Adventure Time", which is also a comic book and TV show, if you're familiar with that.

You can find oodles of MLP stuff at teen stores like "Hot Topic" as well as comic book stores. It's definitely not a case of he's too old for it. Check it out:
My Little Pony | Cartoons | Pop Culture | Hot Topic

I know many teens who are into MLP. At my daughter's middle/high school there are lots of kids (including high schoolers, boys & girls) who are into it. It's not my thing, but it's DEFINITELY NOT a little girl thing.

FTR, though, I would be supportive of a boy who wanted to wear pink and sparkles to school, too, even though that's not what this is — it's a blue pony bag.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1726433

Last edited by poppydog; 03-20-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times
Administrators released this:
"Every situation with young children is a teachable moment and we will use this example in our efforts to address a wider issue of bullying. We ask for everyone's patience and understanding as we continue to work collaboratively with the family toward a resolution," the statement said.

Bullied boy can carry

Know what really works fast and sets the example for the rest of the school and it worked when I went to school. A good hard paddling in front of the class.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:06 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Administrators released this:
"Every situation with young children is a teachable moment and we will use this example in our efforts to address a wider issue of bullying. We ask for everyone's patience and understanding as we continue to work collaboratively with the family toward a resolution," the statement said.

Bullied boy can carry

Know what really works fast and sets the example for the rest of the school and it worked when I went to school. A good hard paddling in front of the class.
That's too easy on a kid.

I say bring back Stocks or the Pillory! THEN THEY'LL PAY!!!!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:35 AM

838 posts, read 1,353,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
rebellious, it's obvious you didn't even bother to click through any of the links. The bag in question is blue.

ncbeckster, that's not really true about the age range. It's a comic book as well and there's a huge teen and grown-up market for My Little Pony stuff. They have MLP conventions and there is a huge, huge Brony community (Boys/Bros who like MLP). It's geeky like other comic book culture or Star Trek or something, but it definitely is not targeted exclusively for pre-k. That's not to say that there isn't some appeal to pre-k with the toys, but the show is not Bob-the-Builder, Dora the Explorer type. It's more like "Adventure Time", which is also a comic book and TV show, if you're familiar with that.

You can find oodles of MLP stuff at teen stores like "Hot Topic" as well as comic book stores. It's definitely not a case of he's too old for it. Check it out:
My Little Pony | Cartoons | Pop Culture | Hot Topic

I know many teens who are into MLP. At my daughter's middle/high school there are lots of kids (including high schoolers, boys & girls) who are into it. It's not my thing, but it's DEFINITELY NOT a little girl thing.

FTR, though, I would be supportive of a boy who wanted to wear pink and sparkles to school, too, even though that's not what this is — it's a blue pony bag.

North Carolina school tells boy, 9, to ditch
About time for the care bears to become cool I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina