Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you live in NC, which beaches do you go to?
Outer Banks - Northern Corolla, Duck, Southern shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head 20 17.54%
OBX- Hatteras Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco, Hatteras, Ocracoke 16 14.04%
Crystal Coast Atlantic Beach, Pine Knoll Shores, Indian Beach, Emerald Isle 28 24.56%
Topsail Beaches North Topsail, Surf City, Topsail 19 16.67%
Wilmington Area Figure 8, Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, Kure 51 44.74%
Brunswick Beaches Bald Head Island, Oak Island, Caswell Beach, Holden, Ocean Isle, Sunset 26 22.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

"None of the above" couldn't work for this poll. I just want to know about which NORTH CAROLINA beaches NORTH CAROLINIANS go to. I don't care about which SC, GA, FL, AL, VA, CA, MA, ETC beaches they go to — just NORTH CAROLINA beaches. I think I included them all—certainly got the main regions. If you don't go to the beach in NC it doesn't count in my poll.

If you're interested in what beaches NC-ers go to in the US or all over the world you can make a different poll and include SC, GA, FL, the Carribean, Cancun, Australia, wherever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
If only NC beaches are in view, then I think the thread topic and poll question should have specifically said as much especially since it's common knowledge that SC beaches are pretty popular among NC'ers for very practical reasons (access/proximity, amenities, etc.) even if one refuses to acknowledge that fact. You can't get mad when someone views the thread topic/poll question as is and answers accordingly.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
North Carolina has great beaches and I know lots of folks come from out of state to visit them. I'm just curious which North Carolina beaches residents of the Old North State go to.
Thought I explained what I was after pretty clearly. Did "The Old North State" reference trip people up?

I'm not mad. I was just explaining why SC beaches aren't on there. Some folks said that they needed to be, but really, no, they didn't need to be, because that wouldn't be an answer to the question I was interested in. Y'all feel free to make your own polls. This one is just what I wanted—people can only answer about NC beaches and that's what I was after. People are free to make whatever comments they like and say what other beaches/pizza/bbq/grocery stores they like. But you can only vote in the poll about North Carolina beaches, which is what I wanted.

I have acknowledged plenty that NC-ers go to lots of other beaches (and lots of people who are not North Carolina residents come to our beaches), but that's not what I'm interested in. I'm specifically curious which NC beaches are popular with North Carolina residents, which is exactly what my poll is very scientifically (obviously ) measuring.

Last edited by poppydog; 03-27-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 PM

BTW, so far, it's shaping up as I expected it might. Lots of folks going to Wilmington beaches and then Brunswick/Topsail/Crystal Coast are pretty much tied, then Northern OBX, then Hatteras.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Thought I explained what I was after pretty clearly. Did "The Old North State" reference trip people up?
Yeah but people only see a reference to beaches in general in the thread title and poll question and go from there, and a ton of NC'ers hit up SC beaches so that will be their natural answer. That's why when I create polls and threads I try to be as specific as possible as it relates to what I'm really wanting to ask. Just something to keep in mind in the future.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:02 PM

Somehow I imagine people would still comment about their fave SC beach not being on the poll even if I had put "which North Carolina beaches do you go to" instead of just "which beaches", but I take your point.

People should maybe read at least the first post of a thread, even if it's a poll, before responding, no? It doesn't really matter in this case since the poll itself is constructed the way I intended. If you can't answer a NC beach, you just make a comment instead.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Somehow I imagine people would still comment about their fave SC beach not being on the poll even if I had put "which North Carolina beaches do you go to" instead of just "which beaches", but I take your point.
LOL, you do have a point!

Quote:
People should maybe read at least the first post of a thread, even if it's a poll, before responding, no?
You're asking too much.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:48 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,043 times
Well, I've never been to a beach in NC due to distance. I think that goes for a lot of North Carolinians...

It would have been more responses on which local beaches do you go to since SC beaches are closer to more than half of NC....and your question was if you leave in NC which beach so you go to? Of course a lot of us are going to say which beaches we go to that are of good driving distance and popularity. They just happen to be in SC

Old 03-28-2014, 06:33 AM

See the thing is, sonofaque, I'm not interested in where North Carolinians go to the beach. I know they go all over and that's a different poll.

I'm interested in which North Carolina beaches have North Carolinians going to them.

My interest is more about where all the people who come to the NC beaches are coming from and which NC beaches attract more NC residents. I think that there may be more people from out of state at the Outer Banks than there are resident NC-ers. Looks like the Wilmington area has a lot of NC-ers, though.

I would imagine that folks from the Charlotte area and west often go to the SC beaches, but I think Triad, Triangle and folks east of there often go to NC beaches, generally Wilmington area or fanning out from there to the Brunswick, Topsail, and Crystal Coast areas. Predictably the Northern OBX, which is more a populous area and easier to get to is next, followed by the Hatteras/Ocracoke area. I do know plenty of Charlotte area folks (I'm related to some of them) who come to the southern NC beaches, too.

If folks want to comment where they live and which beaches they like to go to (whether in NC, SC, GA, FL, wherever) that would be interesting, too.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
My interest is more about where all the people who come to the NC beaches are coming from and which NC beaches attract more NC residents. I think that there may be more people from out of state at the Outer Banks than there are resident NC-ers. Looks like the Wilmington area has a lot of NC-ers, though.
Yeah, Wilmington is the closest thing NC has to a true coastal city so that's not surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina