Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:38 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times

Advertisements

I would probably post your requirements for a place in the general U.S forum and see what people suggest for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
My feelings about NC are pretty similar to goldenage's. Maybe I like it better because we're new here, or maybe because we live in the Raleigh area and don't have to drive too far for good restaurants, museums, etc. In any case, it's a nice, family-friendly area with good weather. Some areas have "heavy" traffic, but coming from Boston, the traffic isn't 1/4 as bad as it is up there.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:06 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta23 View Post
Thank you for your response and suggestions.
I understand not many cities are pedestrian friendly, but I don't think it will ever be as bad as this:

Clearwater-Tampa Bay Area Ranked Second Most Dangerous City for Pedestrians

I guess I will have to learn to drive since the coldest weather my husband is willing to tolerate is NC's.
Don't know about the other places but I know that it is pretty cold in Pennsylvania.
If it was me, and I was starting over and didn't want to work in IT anymore, even though I'd hate the weather, I think I'd cowboy up and head to South Dakota. You don't need to work he oil fields to find a paying job.

Second Choice Texas.

Cudos to you for being willing to go to the better place for your family.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 AM

29 posts, read 35,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It depends on your husband's job skills and whether you want a job also. If his skills are only as a security guard, I would suggest a smaller town, perhaps in the west of the state. Somewhere like Waynesville, Hendersonville, or Greenville South Carolina.

Raleigh and Charlotte are great for people with professional degrees and skills, but they are comparatively expensive.

Thank you very much for your responses.
I wanted to ask you if your suggestions were based on my preferences and if there are other places that you think would also be a good fit.
I have been browsing the forum and found a couple of posts about people that also want small town living and you suggested: "Pinehurst, Troy, Weaverville, Black Mountain, Mount Airy, Asheboro, Whiteville, Farmville, Newton Grove, Richlands, Tarboro, Angier, Apex and Mebane".
Do you think any of those would also apply for us?

*Weather (Cooler summers and some snow days in winter)
*Family oriented
*Availability of jobs that don't require a degree
*Affordable living
*Short commute

Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 AM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for your responses.
I wanted to ask you if your suggestions were based on my preferences and if there are other places that you think would also be a good fit.
I have been browsing the forum and found a couple of posts about people that also want small town living and you suggested: "Pinehurst, Troy, Weaverville, Black Mountain, Mount Airy, Asheboro, Whiteville, Farmville, Newton Grove, Richlands, Tarboro, Angier, Apex and Mebane".
Do you think any of those would also apply for us?

*Weather (Cooler summers and some snow days in winter)
*Family oriented
*Availability of jobs that don't require a degree
*Affordable living
*Short commute
Newton Grove is a nice place to live, but there's very few job opportunities "in" Newton Grove. You'd have to have transportation to drive at least 30-45 minutes anywhere else (Goldsboro, Smithfield, Clinton, Fayetteville). Weather is definitely NOT cooler in the summer!!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:54 AM

29 posts, read 35,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Newton Grove is a nice place to live, but there's very few job opportunities "in" Newton Grove. You'd have to have transportation to drive at least 30-45 minutes anywhere else (Goldsboro, Smithfield, Clinton, Fayetteville). Weather is definitely NOT cooler in the summer!!

Thank you for your input.
When you said is not cooler in the summer you meant in those places or all NC?
Which part of NC has the most bearable summers??
We are in Florida... really hot and REALLY humid.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
The summers here are also hot and humid. I do think it's a bit cooler than a Florida summer and a bit shorter, but people who move here from almost anyplace else complain about the summers. Today it's supposed to be 85 (yay). I love heat and humidity personally. Hate cold and my skin dries out terribly in the winter. A typical July or August day would be about 95 and 75% humidity. Sometimes it's hotter (usually gets over 100 several times a summer), and sometimes it's cooler (sometimes high 80s, low 90s).

Unless something in particular is bringing you to NC I would research where the most jobs are for you that don't require degrees. Much of the NC workforce is trending away from manufacturing and toward high tech, which are positions that require a lot of education/expertise. There are service industry jobs everywhere, but NC does not typically pay well for those positions.

Check out these links:

Where To Find a Blue-Collar Job in 2020 - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities
Blue-Collar Hot Spots: The Cities Creating The Most High-Paying Working-Class Jobs - Forbes
http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Western NC is the only place with bearable summers in the state in my opinion but I don't fare well with humidity. Jobs are hard to come by mostly service industry not great pay. Troy, NC is nowhere and not much there. Greenville SC seems like a decent place but again hot summers. Think posting on the US forum a good idea, cast a wide net. Good luck with your search for a better life.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
We're thinking of NC because of the balanced weather and because it is always at the top of the good lists of better places to live, to raise a family, etc.
Don't necessarily believe everything you read on a list. There is often a hidden agenda.

And, it's usually particular cities, not whole states, on those lists. If you don't want anywhere hotter than Asheville, you wouldn't like most of NC, which is brutal in July & August.

Maybe Charlottesville or Roanoke, VA? They are mountainous like Asheville, but bigger, more diverse places.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
The problem with a lot of the jobs requiring unskilled labor in NC (and elsewhere) is that due to the lack of manufacturing in NC and the fact that the farm workers are often illegal immigrants (at least from what my husband tells me), all you're pretty much left with is jobs in the service industry which are usually minimum wage and not a living wage. As a whole, NC isn't affordable by Southern state standards, so it's unlikely you could make ends meet.

As for weather, I too agree that the Western part of the state has the nicest Summers, but the job market isn't great and COL isn't cheap.

To obtain a decent quality of life anywhere, first and foremost you need employment that will pay the bills, and since there is no specific trade or profession you're looking at going into, I'd focus on the areas with low cost of living and higher paying unskilled jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina