Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 PM

51 posts, read 63,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
Why can't you multi-quote a message instead of making 5 new posts?

That is very rude to me.

I guess it's just how people do it on the part of the internet where you're from. On the side of the internet where I came up, we didn't make 5 new posts. We just used the multi-quote button to the left of the quote button.

I'll never understand why people are so rude and feel the need to segregate replies to multiple posts into individual posts as opposed to a singular multi-quoted post.

Just rude.

At the very least, this is gross oversimplification, and ignores the behaviors of individuals. Or in your limited sample size applies the context of one chance meeting as if it were commonplace. Your sample size is statistically invalid for the pattern of rudeness you claim to have experienced.

Maybe you're rude for being so impatient and not politely waiting in line and appreciating that these two folks were just catching up. Welcome to the South... I've been all over the country, and this crap could and has happened to me in any locale. Even in Manhattan, NY, I have experienced such things. I was trying to buy a pair of Pumas and had to wait while the sales girl caught up with a friend and chatted about what they were going to do that night. I could whine and complain about it, or just give them the time they needed to finish their conversation and not hold it against the girl for handling her business while on the clock to do business with me.

It sounds to me like you're hyper-sensitve and burdening yourself with unreasonable expectations of the people around you. If you approach people in reality the way you've approached this subject, I can see why everyone else thinks you're rude.
Others where able to have a serious discussion here, I am sorry that you can't. Your assumptions are very wrong though … I did state in other post that its different from place to place. Trying to make this all me, would mean that I have the same experiences in other places as well. I don't …

I really think that its about culture … you said "wait patiently in line" but at the same time you made a comment about not being able to multi post? Anyways … your reply is childish and contradictory … and very inaccurate

Old 04-13-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
This is a very odd thread.

The OP hasn't given us much to go on. Someone chatting with a friend at the Postal counter does not seem rude to me. It does appear that you may have been impatient in that situation. You don't really describe the amount of time you spent waiting. You don't say how many people were in the line. If it was more than 10 minutes, you may have a case to say that was inconsiderate. Most businesses (even here in the south), a clerk could get fired for holding up a line talking to a friend.

Some people drive under the speed limit, some drive over and will tailgate you for no reason. That's the case almost everywhere you go. It's not just a "Southern" thing because most southerners don't like being behind a slow car or a tractor. And we sure don't like someone tailgating behind us.

It may be the way you are approaching the situation, or even the way that you look at a person while you're talking to the people you're interacting with. You've heard from other friends and family that "those people are rude". Maybe you've gone into your interactions with a feeling that "those" people will not accept you and automatically don't like you. Then you become defensive as a result.

If you invited me to your home and the first thing that I ask is "Why does your house look so old and dumb looking?", Wouldn't you be defensive about it? You're coming to a forum of people that are from here or moved here (and love it.) and you're asking why we are terrible people. I don't know anyone in their right mind that wouldn't be defensive about that. It comes across an insult.

It is true that people will talk a bit down here. In some small towns, people will stop in the middle of the street and talk to a friend for a few minutes. The other drivers simply drive around, not really affected by it. Some of them might even slow down and roll down their windows to yell something silly at the people in the street. Those people finish their conversation, or move out of the street, and the world keeps on spinning. The cars keep on driving, and everything just works out.

I would like to ask for more details and more situations that would make you think that people in NC are rude.
The examples where just that … examples of various things that could be considered rude. Although I did not say a friend with regard to the post office example, and of course tailgaters are all over the place … although there seem to more of those drivers in Florida then other places I have been too.

Anyways, you proved my point … you don't think stopping in the middle of street to chat is rude, and I most certainly do. The street is there for cars to drive on, not for people to chat on … they can easily pull over and their conversation without inconveniencing others. So you for what ever reason, find that as acceptable behavior and I would not.

So … that being the example … I have been to places and places within cities where this does happen. And to other places where it does not happen. Another thing I find very rude is when people leave their radio blasting at the gas station and some times even while they run into the place for snacks or what ever.

Basically, it boils down to weather or not you courteous of others … saying "Hey just go around" is not courteous, your using the road way in appropriately at the point and the courteous thing to do would be to pull over to the side of road and have your conversation. Really, I don't think I should have drive around, or slow down to be inconvenienced at all, because you want to chit chat …

And I imagine you also would not care for someone leaving their car radio blasting at the gas station

Another thing you would simply not see in some places but would be very prevalent in other places.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staggshenry View Post
Most people I have spoken with NC have been very rude and nasty … why?
Did you start the conversation and have been very rude and nasty to them first?

I visited N.C for 7 years before I retired here and NEVER fond ANY ONE rude and nasty. In the 7 1/2 years I have lived here it has NOT changed. Except for occasional person from the NY/NJ area.

My first week here I was in a store and picking up a box of cereal and a women with a small child asked, she had a very southern accent," Are you going to buy that?' I answered "Yes ma'am".

She looked through a bunch of coupons she had and gave me one for the cereal I was buying. Maybe it is YOU!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-14-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Did you start the conversation and have been very rude and nasty to them first?

I visited N.C for 7 years before I retired here and NEVER fond ANY ONE rude and nasty. In the 7 1/2 years I have lived here it has NOT changed. Except for occasional person from the NY/NJ area.

My first week here I was in a store and picking up a box of cereal and a women with a small child asked, she had a very southern accent," Are you going to buy that?' I answered "Yes ma'am".

She looked through a bunch of coupons she had and gave me one for the cereal I was buying. Maybe it is YOU!
May be its me? hmmm yet in other places I don't have the same experiences …

It really boils down to what you consider rude … but I have to say that I would rather live in Florida or Arizona over NC … one of my friends who does live in NC is always talking about how his neighbors are blasting music, or his car was broken into and so on …

Anyways, I don't find the same thing in other places so it's not me … but it is true that I shouldn't live in NC listening to southern accents all day would annoying anyways

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:

It really boils down to what you consider rude … but I have to say that I would rather live in Florida or Arizona over NC … one of my friends who does live in NC is always talking about how his neighbors are blasting music, or his car was broken into and so on …

Anyways, I don't find the same thing in other places so it's not me … but it is true that I shouldn't live in NC listening to southern accents all day would annoying anyways

"Anyways?"

Well, thank goodness your diction and grammar are so flawless, man.

Wherever you go, there you are. If you have bad experiences everywhere except in areas where there are plenty of people just like you? It's you, not the locals.

This doesn't just apply to NC.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:

Sadly - you are correct.
Recent studies indicate that only NC residents break into cars and blast loud music.
Enjoy Florida or Arizona.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
To each their own.

I know when I identify a particular state that is irksome for one reason or another, I like to go *straight* to the source at city-data and poke 'em with a stick.

"Why is your state so crappy"? I might say. I'm just looking for some straight talk, you know? A chance to solve some real problems. I figure if I can just point out all the ways they don't measure up to my standards that they can use that feedback to affect some real positive change. But every dad-gummed time they get all uppity. It's like they can't accept their flaws as surely the rest of the world has.

I try to tell 'em... "to each their own". I tell 'em "You can be a crappy state, with crappy people, doing crappy things OR you can listen up to my sage advice". They never listen, and I assume it's probably why they live in their crappy state to begin with.

Like Florida for example. They have a horrible penchant for killing Germans! And gracious alive, have you seen all the old people driving? It's no wonder all the teenagers prefer to cruise in the emergency lane at double the speed limit. Who could blame them for trying to pass all those seniors as fast as humanly possible?

And Arizona? Also a lot of old people. And mexicans. And crystal methamphetamine (I learned the last part from Breaking Bad, but I know it's true too). That state is terrible about camping in the flood plain. No dad-gummed sense at all I tell ya. Probably the dumbest state in the union behind Alabama, but certainly in the running. Have you seen the idiots they elect as leaders? If they're putting their best foot forward I'd hate to see who they keep hidden in the closet.

Oh lawz. I'm just rambling on and on now aren't I. I should probably stop texting here considering I'm in line at the Pharmacy and the line is getting pretty long behind me and I haven't even had a chance to catch up with Mr. Davis (I really have *the nicest* pharmacist!).

Cheerio!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:41 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:

You can have Fla.

"one of my friends..." So, you base millions by what one says? You don't think this happens anywhere else then N.C?

People are people all over the country.

As you can see by the postings, yours is a rare opinion.

"but it is true that I shouldn't live in NC listening to southern accents all day would annoying anyway" . Where are you from originally? Did YOU ever think people NOT from your home could say the same thing about how the people from there speak?

I think you are very young, naive and gullible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina