Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:04 AM

583 posts, read 2,802,906 times

Advertisements

On Good Morning America a week or 2 ago, there was a segment about a book with info about how to choose best health care plan. My mom was impressed by the segment and thought that it would be a book that she'd like to check out. After a trip to a local book store in town and calling to ask that I search online at amazon, etc. we couldn't come up with anything at all. I was beginning to think that they'd misunderstood the tv segment! Anyways, I finally found it! And, it was a book for 'dummies' just like she'd said--but it's free. So, I thought that I would post here in case anyone else would like to order their copy. It's supposed to be helpful in choosing the right health benefits for you and your family (regardless of whether they're offered by the employer).

http://www.planforyourhealth.com/nyhb/article/

"Co-authored by Dr. Charles Cutler of Aetna and Tracey Baker, CFP, of the Financial Planning Association®, this booklet has the information you need to know — translated by the brand that simplifies even the most confusing topics. From choosing the right coverage, to making the most of plan extras, to paying for benefits, this guide helps demystify the health benefits cycle at every stage of your life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 02:36 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
When we were looking at moving to NC we found that our health insurance wouldn't travel there very well ( Golden Rule from UNited Healthcare). Not very well at all.

So I looked at incorporating there and buying a new group plan. It's at least twice the cost of our insurance in Fla.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:29 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
When we were looking at moving to NC we found that our health insurance wouldn't travel there very well ( Golden Rule from UNited Healthcare). Not very well at all.

So I looked at incorporating there and buying a new group plan. It's at least twice the cost of our insurance in Fla.
You're not the only one who has run into the sticker shock of health insurance in N.C. There are a couple of past threads about it.

We have United Health Care, btw, and I was more than a wee bit torqued to learn that their CEO recently retired with a 1.1 BILLION dollar "golden parachute."

To the original poster, thanks for the information about the book. Should help some people be able to wade through all of the fine print involved in many insurance policies.

Regards,

Cassie

Old 10-25-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
You're not the only one who has run into the sticker shock of health insurance in N.C. There are a couple of past threads about it.

We have United Health Care, btw, and I was more than a wee bit torqued to learn that their CEO recently retired with a 1.1 BILLION dollar "golden parachute."

To the original poster, thanks for the information about the book. Should help some people be able to wade through all of the fine print involved in many insurance policies.

Regards,

Cassie
Thanks Cassie. Florida was the place to be . We don't have the state government sticking it's nose in our rear while simultaneously grabbing what's in our pockets. ( state income tax )

We like the trees and mountains in NC. That is all.

Between that states income tax, the MUCH higher health insurance costs, maybe we're wasting our time.......

Old 10-25-2006, 10:04 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,696 times
Yea but in Florida you also have higher taxes on homes and car/homeowners insurance. Can't wait to leave. Does anyone want to buy a house?????

Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Quote:
Thanks Cassie. Florida was the place to be . We don't have the state government sticking it's nose in our rear while simultaneously grabbing what's in our pockets. ( state income tax )

Between that states income tax, the MUCH higher health insurance costs, maybe we're wasting our time.......

Hi Mr. Tudo,

There are many places in the U.S. that have trees and mountains, more reasonable health insurance costs and much more to offer, overall than N.C. does.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-26-2006 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-26-2006, 06:32 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused and relocating View Post
Yea but in Florida you also have higher taxes on homes and car/homeowners insurance. Can't wait to leave. Does anyone want to buy a house?????
Doesnt make up for everything else they get you on.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:30 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:

We want to move to N.C. for the same thing, we love the trees and mountains and waterfalls, cooler air, but I agree about the taxes, so now we're looking at eastern Tenn. Have you checked into that?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused and relocating View Post

Well if you are considering NC as THE place where it's cheaper you are in for a rude awakening. Health care is twice the cost of care in Fla and you better make sure your close enough to even get to a hospital in an emergency in the case of WNC at least.

Then remember that NC is going to rob you of 7% of your income. Factor in a CPA to help make sure you don't get robbed for more than you need to.

Now tell me you like NC cause of the natural beauty but don't tell me about the economics of it as opposed to Fla.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We want to move to N.C. for the same thing, we love the trees and mountains and waterfalls, cooler air, but I agree about the taxes, so now we're looking at eastern Tenn. Have you checked into that?

Yeah but we hit roadblocks there Cassie. I have heart disease and have found chelation therapy to help a great deal ( I had open heart surgery 14 months ago before I found the chelation) and it's ILLEGAL in Tenn. So we thought to look close to the WNC border as one of the best places in the country for chelation is in Asheville but what we found was very touristy. Sort of the hehaw version of disneyworld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina