Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 3,173 times

Advertisements

I need some insight from those familiar with North Carolina landlord-tenant laws. But first, a quick summary of the situation.

7/31/2013 - Moved into an apartment, signed 6 month lease @ $545/month.

12/31/2013 - Called management asking about renewing my lease. Was told that the "system" (apparently their computer database) reflected a 12-month lease. They said continue paying rent.

1/31/2014 - New management company running complex.

Note: I never received a renewal notice letter at any point regarding my lease expiring.

2/1/2014 to 4/1/2014 my rent was accepted (@ rate of my original 6 month lease).

4/10/2014- The second (new) management company calls and tells me that my rent will be $662 for the month of 5/1 if I stay OR I can sign a 12 month lease @ $562. If I wish to sign a 6 month lease, it will be $625 a month.

Summary:

Yes, the 12 month deal isn't bad. However, I don't think I will stay here that long. On top of that, I feel like it was because of the previous management's incompetence that I'm in this situation. Also, I thought NC law required 30-day notice to raise rent on a month-to-month lessee. In short, I feel like I'm being strong-armed here and need advice.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpdownsouth View Post
7/31/2013 - Moved into an apartment, signed 6 month (written) lease @ $545/month.

12/31/2013 - Called management asking about renewing my lease.
Was told that the "system" (apparently their computer database) reflected a 12-month lease.
They said continue paying rent.

1/31/2014 - New management company running complex.

Note: I never received a renewal notice letter at any point regarding my lease expiring.

2/1/2014 to 4/1/2014 my rent was accepted (@ rate of my original 6 month lease).
4/10/2014- The second (new) management company calls and tells me...

I feel like it was because of the previous management's incompetence that I'm in this situation.
I feel like I'm being strong-armed here and need advice.
And you are (mostly) correct.

The mostly part is about doing/trusting business like this being done verbally.
A simple "as per our phone chat yesterday my understanding of X and Y are..." letter
goes a long way toward establishing the time and names and other such detail.

That said... your six month lease was extended verbally by a management agent who should
have known better than to not have something on record and with signatures.

That the original rent rate continued to be accepted should serve to show their understanding
and by that continue to apply through the July rent payment... and I'm confident (if it came to it)
that a JUDGE will agree. Beyond that date... all bets are off.

As to your vague future plans beyond Aug 1...
firm them up before discussing renewal and/or ask about their M2M policies.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And you are (mostly) correct.

The mostly part is about doing/trusting business like this being done verbally.
A simple "as per our phone chat yesterday my understanding of X and Y are..." letter
goes a long way toward establishing the time and names and other such detail.
A great point. Needless to say, I won't make the same mistake.

Quote:
That said... your six month lease was extended verbally by a management agent who should
have known better than to not have something on record and with signatures.

That the original rent rate continued to be accepted should serve to show their understanding
and by that continue to apply through the July rent payment... and I'm confident (if it came to it)
that a JUDGE will agree. Beyond that date... all bets are off.

As to your vague future plans beyond Aug 1...
firm them up before discussing renewal and/or ask about their M2M policies.
Accepting rent checks solidified the verbal agreement in my eyes as well. I suspect the previous management knew they were on a sinking ship and couldn't be bothered with more work.

I'll be meeting with the manager on Monday. If we can't see eye-to-eye, I'll try to negotiate a bit. I'm feeling the pressure though- decide by 5/1 or pay $662+ $100 fee for May.

MrRational, thank you for responding! You've given me some valuable insight.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
What is this $100 fee you speak of?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpdownsouth View Post
A great point. Needless to say, I won't make the same mistake.

Accepting rent checks solidified the verbal agreement in my eyes as well. I suspect the previous management knew they were on a sinking ship and couldn't be bothered with more work.

I'll be meeting with the manager on Monday. If we can't see eye-to-eye, I'll try to negotiate a bit. I'm feeling the pressure though- decide by 5/1 or pay $662+ $100 fee for May.

MrRational, thank you for responding! You've given me some valuable insight.
I still think they can't take the rent up another $100 without 30 days notice, so you couldn't be charged $662 until 6/1.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
What is this $100 fee you speak of?
It's the new management's policy to tack that fee on when a tenant goes month-to-month. Cool stuff, eh?

So basically on 4/11, I was told that I had until the 31st to decide if I was going to move, sign a lease, or go m2m for $762 on the first month ($662/m after that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I still think they can't take the rent up another $100 without 30 days notice, so you couldn't be charged $662 until 6/1.
I think you're right as NC law seems to be consistent in that policy. If I can't negotiate a reasonable rate for another 6 months (edit: or continue on my original lease), I'll beat that drum to buy some time.

Last edited by helpdownsouth; 04-14-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 02:00 PM

I want to thank everyone who posted.

Surprisingly, the management was more understanding than I anticipated. I explained the details of the verbal agreement w/ previous mgmt. and showed that my rent checks were accepted after my original lease term. They acknowledged that incidents like this aren't uncommon when mgmt. companies take over (i.e. previous employees not doing paperwork).

The woman I spoke with was reluctant to negotiate (I counter-offered 575/month to their 625), but after speaking to the lead property manager they offered me a 6m lease @ $562/m. I couldn't believe it! So that means no huge fees to fight off next month and some peace of mind.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Good job! I am glad advocating for yourself worked out. I wish more people would do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina