Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:26 PM

227 posts, read 728,377 times

Advertisements

Let's see, why are we not returning to Florida when we go back to the States and have instead decided on Triangle area?
Although I miss CT's easy access to a variety of places - ocean, mountains, cities, etc, I don't miss the weather and don't want to live back there any more. But after ten years in Miami, I am ready for a change in scenery and had forgotten how much I miss the seasons (as long as it's not 5 months of snow!) I'm looking forward to a place where we can see variety within just a few hours drive. Real Farmer's markets, food cooperatives, being near a progressive university. Having more things to show our new family member than just Orlando, the Keys, or the Everglades - all wonderful places to go once or twice.
The possibility to be competitive for a job where you don't have to be bilingual (even though I do speak Spanish).
The possibilities that exist for my husband's and my business that don't exist in South Florida.
Much better opportunity to get back around horses again.
The opportunity to be within driving distance to Florida and yet same to NE.
Overall if we weren't expecting then perhaps we would have returned to Miami, but teachers are leaving at a record pace because they can't afford it; there are some excellent bilingual/trilingual schools in Triangle; and we want our daughter to see more than just beaches and bikinis. And, yes I do love the beaches there but it's possible to enjoy them much more on a vacation then when living there -unless you have plenty of money that is.
We were lucky enough to buy just before the height of the market, and sell before our neighborhood became peppered with "price reduced" signs. But we won't buy right away, we'll rent to check out how we like it, and if it doesn't work out then we're fully prepared to move on, but we really hope everything will work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 08:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
So good to hear to this! I worry about starting over and creating a new community for my family. But it sounds like so many others will also be searching for new friends/community. Hopefully this will help with some of the emotional stress.
HI,
my family and I are looking to relocate to the union county area in NC from New Jersey. I was hoping to find the areas where most of the New Yorkers and New Jersey people are now living in nc...Hope someone can be of assistance.....I have to reply to this also because most people who are moving out of NJ right now just cant afford to live here...I pay 10, 000 in taxes right now and we are being reassesed again, so my taxes will be going up again late 2007.....I happen to hear great things about living in NC and hope that this may be a good decision for my family. I have 2 kids in school 1 is attending Middle School now and one in 2nd grade.

Thank You
Staci-NJ

Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller View Post
I have been checking out the this forum for about a month now. And i am trying to figure out why everybody wants to relocate to North Carolina. Some states mentioned are California, Florida, New York, Illinois, etc. What are some of the factor's that have caused this domino effect?
we are looking to relocate to NC from NJ...originally from Brooklyn NY living in jersey now 7 yrs and well after now paying 10, 000.00 in property taxes and insurance is high and cost of living here is insane, there arent very many other choices other than to relocate..I am a Realtor here in NJ and cant even begin to tell you how many people have relocated to the NC area and how many NY people there are as well...I was hoping someone could tell me what the popular areas are and where are all the NJ and NY people now LIVING...What part of NC?????

Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 09:03 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
I am looking to relocate to NC because I was born there and really have no close family here in VA. Also, the Raleigh area is booming and I am looking forward to the intellectual flavor of the area as well as the easy going lifestyle it offers.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
While it may and I put the emphasis on the word may, be cheaper to buy a house in NC it's not cheaper to live there.
It is DEFINTELY NOT cheaper to live in NC than in CT. On the surface, it seems like it would be since things like RE taxes are much cheaper and gas is less per gallon. But, factoring in the lower salary that I have here, the fact that I drive more so I have to spend more for gas in total, the higher annual cost of utilities (natural gas will be cheaper in the winter) , the HOA fees that I pay, monthly water bills versus quarterly, and higher cost of food and wine, it costs a lot more to live here. I was very surprised to find out yesterday that my car insurance would be higher here too as everyone told me that it would be much cheaper! I thought that CT had some of the highest rates for that but I guess I was wrong.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:30 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
It is DEFINTELY NOT cheaper to live in NC than in CT. On the surface, it seems like it would be since things like RE taxes are much cheaper and gas is less per gallon. But, factoring in the lower salary that I have here, the fact that I drive more so I have to spend more for gas in total, the higher annual cost of utilities (natural gas will be cheaper in the winter) , the HOA fees that I pay, monthly water bills versus quarterly, and higher cost of food and wine, it costs a lot more to live here. I was very surprised to find out yesterday that my car insurance would be higher here too as everyone told me that it would be much cheaper! I thought that CT had some of the highest rates for that but I guess I was wrong.
Agree!! Everytime I call a friend back in New England and tell them that the cost of living here is the same or higher they are suprised. I guess it's a common misperception that the cost of living here is low. Not! My car insurance is indeed lower than what I used to pay. But the fact that I had to pay $400 in property taxes in that car kinda spoils the whole deal!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:46 AM

214 posts, read 701,920 times
Moving from Massachusetts, I have found most things cheaper in NC - gas, utilities, property taxes, houses, home and car insurance. Food is definitely more expensive but other items like clothing and household goods are the about the same price wise but are actually more expensive because of the higher sales tax. My husband is making the same salary as he was in Mass and with this move to a lower cost home, I am able to stay home with my kids for time being. Overall, I think it is cheaper to live in NC than Mass.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:27 AM

312 posts, read 1,904,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rox011 View Post
Cost of living. We live in Miami Fl and taxes and isurance rates are really high. Most people who bought their homes before Miami became expensive can pay a house off in N. and S. Carolina and pay over 50% less in taxes and insurance rates. Not to mention insurance rate in our vehicle also
Same reason here. We're from Daytona Beach and now we're living in Clayton. We love it.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:54 AM

72 posts, read 212,678 times
Default Cost of Living... its very relative

I guess it just depends where you are coming from... for me, the cost of living out there is about 60% less, where as the wages are only about 15% less. I can buy a house on my own in NC(a small one) where here i cant even rent out a tiny bedroom in someone elses house for the same price. Not only that, but car insurance, gas, health insurance, overall living costs are all consistently lower than in my county in California. The only expense will be air conditioning and heating that i dont use at all here, but that's a small price to pay for going from constantly struggling and stressing out to living a relaxed beautiful life somewhere else with the possibility of having a family and not becoming homeless... and i know people say the traffic is bad there, but 35 minutes for 15 miles, that's heavenly 3am driving out here, if you are lucky!! i was out there during rush hour... and i had to ask someone if that is what they meant by traffic but i can see how it would get messy during the colder months with the ice and rain. Still an improvement! I cant wait to be out there... 3 more weeks

Old 12-05-2006, 11:58 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,017 times
It's great to see people researching the details of the cost of living before moving to a new area - that's why this is such a vital forum. My own personal experience, for what it's worth, coming from Florida:

housing: cheaper in NC
insurance, home and auto: dramatically cheaper in NC
food/household: more expensive in NC
utilities: probably a wash. we pay more now, but our family has grown!
gas: about the same, meaning more expensive everywhere
real property taxes: much cheaper in NC
personal property taxes: the biggest surprise when we moved to NC and registered the cars!
state income tax: didn't have one in Florida, so a big factor for us.

quality of life: This is the one that no one on this board can answer for you. For our family, it was about the weather and seasons, the people, the proximity to the ocean and the mountains, and all the great things to do - NC hands down.

(Oh, and the fact that we were unemployed in Florida, and employed here. That helps quality of life wherever you are.)

Do your research, crunch the numbers, but nothing takes the place of visiting to really experience the area first-hand to decide if it is right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina