Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenne View Post
Please don't get defensive. I didn't say 'every child' what I do generalize is true. Bullying is a major issue, teachers are not happily employed, classrooms are overcrowded. These topics are in the news very often.

Homeschooling is for the secular & religious alike.
LOL, are you really that naive that you believe bullying is limited to public school?

I'm sorry you had a problem w/your kids in public school, but again, don't paint with a broad brush and then say you didn't....my kids are doing extremely well in their public school.

Homeschooling definitely has its negatives, but that's ok. I respect parents who do it. Its not for us, but I'm not going to say your way is better when our experience has been very good.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 AM

277 posts, read 436,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Some good news for the portion of the state interested in education and progress:

North Carolina House and Senate agree on budget, 7-percent raise for teachers | abc11.com
....and it passes in the senate.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
The budget was approved but im not sure where the money is coming from I think Capital Tonight on news 14 mention it coming out of rainy day fund but not definitely sure.

The 7% for teachers is just an average. This scale doesnt make since but here it is.

Teach for:
  • 1-4 years 7%
  • 5 year 18.5%
  • 20 years 9%
  • 29 years 1.7%
  • 30+ years no raise

Old 08-07-2014, 05:29 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Rainy day funds are not to give raises out. This is just another way to kill your state Treasury.
I am all for the raises, with a big but, the need to increse revenue is important. With the next tax cut (Corp.) starting in Jan.2015 these will be lost.

The need to take the Medicaid expansion is the only way to save this budget.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

The need to take the Medicaid expansion is the only way to save this budget.
This makes no sense because it costs the state money.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The State budget benefits from the Medicaid expansion as the first 2 years are covered by Federal dollars at 100%. Then the Federal dollars cover 90%. The state currently is paying between 2-3 billion in state tax dollars. This is a no brainer if you have not tried to increase revenue.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Obamacare's Medicaid expansion called for the feds to cover it 100% for 2 years then 90% after that. The 2 years was supposed to help states get their finances together from the recession. If your boys in Raleigh had taken it, they could have used that money to pay the unemployment debt instead of increasing taxes on employers.

By not taking it they have screwed every citizen out of that financial opportunity. They are currently staying with the old payment option which, I believe, is 60/40. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure which is worse for the citizens.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
.... .... You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure which is worse for the citizens.
But one does at least need to have more brains than the tax & spenders to quickly figure out that it is a ponzi scheme. This plan requires that 1. you believe anything said by Obama about Obamacare (who is still changing the law), and 2 believe the state will magically find the money 2 years from now.

It's the same sort of thinking that sunk millions of homeowners who bought cheap ARM mortgages with no plan to deal with the upcoming increases.

It's true that NC's finances were left in a shambles by Perdue. At least NC is in a good position to fix it unlike many states.

----------------------

Finally this topic is about Teachers. Teachers got a significant raise under McCrory and pay is now based on performance and qualifications instead of how long your butt has been sitting in a chair. It's a hard fact simply disproves the FUD that is being spun (like failed budgets) here.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 08-08-2014 at 04:02 AM..

Old 08-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
But one does at least need to have more brains than the tax & spenders to quickly figure out that it is a ponzi scheme. This plan requires that 1. you believe anything said by Obama about Obamacare (who is still changing the law), and 2 believe the state will magically find the money 2 years from now.

It's the same sort of thinking that sunk millions of homeowners who bought cheap ARM mortgages with no plan to deal with the upcoming increases.

It's true that NC's finances were left in a shambles by Perdue. At least NC is in a good position to fix it unlike many states.

----------------------

Finally this topic is about Teachers. Teachers got a significant raise under McCrory and pay is now based on performance and qualifications instead of how long your butt has been sitting in a chair. It's a hard fact simply disproves the FUD that is being spun (like failed budgets) here.
The raise is not given to long term employees. This is going to have older employees thinking its time to take the pension and work in another state or leave the profession.

The issue then becomes the smartest Teachers will go to where the money is. It is not NC even with the average 7%.

Your ODS is starting to show.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The raise is not given to long term employees. This is going to have older employees thinking its time to take the pension and work in another state or leave the profession.

The issue then becomes the smartest Teachers will go to where the money is. It is not NC even with the average 7%.

Your ODS is starting to show.
Long term employees were already getting a raise every year called longevity pay, so to say they weren't getting a raise is disingenuous, correct?

I also agree that this is not 7% ACROSS THE BOARD. But the teachers that needed the most help were the ones starting out, would you agree?

Boss, salary is only a small part of compensation (as I've been saying on the charlotte forum w/this topic)

You have to weigh ALL benefits (which include vacation/benefits/retirement package/etc...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina