Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times

Advertisements

many of these are problems in the global economy, or national politics, which are beyond the state's control.

i'd argue that NC's biggest problem is extreme politics.. mainly from the right. (although NC does have some far leftists)

In other words, North Carolina is far too much like my home state of South Carolina, where rural people in the state legislature have too much power over the moderates who inhabit cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
many of these are problems in the global economy, or national politics, which are beyond the state's control.

i'd argue that NC's biggest problem is extreme politics.. mainly from the right. (although NC does have some far leftists)

In other words, North Carolina is far too much like my home state of South Carolina, where rural people in the state legislature have too much power over the moderates who inhabit cities.
The Liberal Government gives more than it takes in. We spend more than we make. We have more takers than we have givers, it's a disastrous business model for all of us.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
The Liberal Government gives more than it takes in.
north carolina's government -- which is what we're talking about -- isn't particularly liberal, nor does it seem to have trouble paying its bills.

my point is that we're a big state, with some big differences in political views, and it'd be helpful to the state as a whole if those views could coexist.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:16 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
The biggest problem with NC is the population.

Back when textiles, tobacco etc ruled, an uneducated man could make a good wage.

That is all gone, education is so necessary, but the culture that "didn't need no college" persists. In the children and then grandchildren that heard this for years

This mentality shows across the board. Poor voting choices, single issue politics, legislators that are clueless, the poor staying poor and in many cases getting poorer.

The cycle must be broken, but it is not broken at either the welfare office or the unemployment office.

Until education reigns supreme, in every corner of the state, NC is gonna be lower tier. It is a shame, clearly not my father's North Carolina. The trend is very very troubling.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

Back when textiles, tobacco etc ruled, an uneducated man could make a good wage.

That is all gone, education is so necessary, but the culture that "didn't need no college" persists. In the children and then grandchildren that heard
this for years

This mentality shows across the board. Poor voting choices, single issue politics, legislators that are clueless, the poor staying poor and in many cases getting poorer.

The cycle must be broken, but it is not broken at either the welfare office or the unemployment office.

Until education reigns supreme, in every corner of the state, NC is gonna be lower tier. It is a shame, clearly not my father's North Carolina. The trend is very very troubling.

While the "didn't need no college" culture is what many people have heard, including myself, I don't think it is a culture that persist.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...t-record-high/

Quote:
More than 70 percent of the members of the high school graduating class of 2009 were enrolled in college last October. That is the highest portion on record, which goes back to 1959, according to a new Labor Department report.
Recently there are a lot of people deciding not to go to college, not because they think they don't need it, but due to many going at record breaking numbers, only not to receive a job. (not because they have the wrong major, but don't have the experience)

I agree with the poor voting choices, but I also believe that there are other factors in politics that minimize the general public influence over policy.

BBC News - Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy

Quote:
"A proposed policy change with low support among economically elite Americans (one-out-of-five in favour) is adopted only about 18% of the time," they write, "while a proposed change with high support (four-out-of-five in favour) is adopted about 45% of the time."

On the other hand:

When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organised interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the US political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favour policy change, they generally do not get it.
Ivy League Study: The General Public Has Virtually No Influence on Policy

Old 05-05-2014, 04:38 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
NC has a lot of overweight or obese people compared to states I have lived in. I read somewhere that 2/3 of all adults in the state are overweight or obese and NC ranks 5th in the nation with childhood obesity.

Statistics that could cost NC taxpayers dearly.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
By what the state government had focused on in the last three years, I'd say that NC's biggest problem was foreign born gay couples who wanted to vote, get married and claim unemployment insurance. Not to worry, our fearless Republican government fixed that problem.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:13 PM

352 posts, read 550,623 times
Default Those dern high falooten scientists are up to it agin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
By what the state government had focused on in the last three years, I'd say that NC's biggest problem was foreign born gay couples who wanted to vote, get married and claim unemployment insurance. Not to worry, our fearless Republican government fixed that problem.
Not to mention those pesky scientists making up data saying that sea levels are rising. Thankfully the heroic GOP politicians drafted the bill outlawing predictions of a sea-level rise so that developers could continue making money building and selling to citizens along predicted flood zones. Our guts know better than them scientists and their degrees from those communist universities!

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

That is all gone, education is so necessary, but the culture that "didn't need no college" persists. In the children and then grandchildren that heard this for years

The problem isn't education as there are a lot of unemployed engineers in NC. The problem is the off-shoring of jobs that once existed in NC. This ranges from manufacturing to the highest level of tech job in the state.

Case in point, the idiotic Beverly Perdue gave IBM millions of $s for a few call center jobs and at the same time they lay off 1000s in the state so the jobs can go to China & India.

Blindly throwing huge amounts of money at the problem isn't going to fix it either.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The problem isn't education as there are (also) a lot of unemployed engineers in NC.
The problem is the off-shoring of jobs that once existed in NC.
This ranges from manufacturing to the highest level of tech job in the state.
I'll call that a symptom... not the problem itself.

The actual problem is that in the face of that declining no/low skill job base
that these population pools weren't motivated to similarly decline their number.
(you can define "motivated" any way you like)

Every other demographic group, that is the ones able to pay their own way
and with rather few exceptions, has done a decent job of keeping their birthrate down.
They (we) can and should do more but they (we) have done a lot already.

Educating or even training the no/low skilled won't get them the jobs they need.
Most of that effort will just dilute the wage value of those who already have those skills.

Something **else** needs to be done about the social welfare quagmire we have created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina