Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:39 PM

354 posts, read 622,865 times

Advertisements

Alright I just had another Question that came in mind. Besides the issue with The Teachers in the School Systems not getting paid enough money, What are some other issues with the school systems here in The State of NC & also what else does the state have issues with??? I mean I guess the question I am asking is does the Medical industry & the manufacturing jobs such as The Companies in The Triad Area pay good enough. & Even The banking & finance industry in Charlotte. I just feel like this state deserves better especially knowing of all the industries here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
What is the biggest problem with the State of North Carolina???
The same basic problem as exists with every other state:
Too many people generally but especially too many who can't (or won't) do for themselves.

Every cost/policy issue (and many social) is based in finding ways to stretch infrastructure
to meet the use of that "growth" need and/or finding ways to pay for those unable and/or
unwilling to earn enough to pay their own way.

Dealing with the symptoms, even if done well, won't fix the underlying problem.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,229,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Alright I just had another Question that came in mind. Besides the issue with The Teachers in the School Systems not getting paid enough money, What are some other issues with the school systems here in The State of NC & also what else does the state have issues with??? I mean I guess the question I am asking is does the Medical industry & the manufacturing jobs such as The Companies in The Triad Area pay good enough. & Even The banking & finance industry in Charlotte. I just feel like this state deserves better especially knowing of all the industries here.
Question is too broad. You specifically mention Triad Area and Charlotte. Maybe ask specific questions on these City-Data Forums.
Personally I believe population growth is a good indication that NC is in great shape as concerns your broad question. See attached population growth ranking for past 3 years and we are ranked 11 (excluding DC which is not a state) overall.
NC has minor problems but overall it is a great state to live in!
List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,304,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Too many people generally but especially too many who can't (or won't) do for themselves.

Every cost/policy issue (and many social) is based in finding ways to stretch infrastructure
to meet the use of that "growth" need and/or finding ways to pay for those unable and/or

Seems our country was doing much better when we kept all the jobs here instead of sending them overseas for cheap labor.
But if your the president of a large co. what is more important, keeping the Wall Street investors happy or keeping Americans employed?
Dumb question we already know the answer.

I agree we do have too many people but no politician ever wants to address that.

As long and religion and politics are bedfellows nothing will ever be done to solve America's and the worlds problems.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Seems our country was doing much better when we kept all the jobs here...
Well, for some. Depends on how closely you look at the details.
When was the last time you saw "
Norma Rae"?

Quote:
I agree we do have too many people...
Which is most acute at the no/low skill end.

Quote:
...what is more important, keeping investors happy or keeping Americans employed?
It's really not that simple... which is why the rest of the imbalance shows the problems.

Quote:
As long and religion and politics are bedfellows...
No argument here.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 PM

3,065 posts, read 4,801,743 times
The biggest problem isn't even on the OP's radar (and many suburbanites who worry about getting the newest I-phone)...

It is the extremely poor area's, which have some of the worst schools, are mired in poverty, substandard housing, high vacancy rates and declining downtown's. Many have high crime rates. And their population is gradually declining and becoming poorer.

What has the State of NC done for them...ran water lines...usually using federal funds.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,280,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The biggest problem isn't even on the OP's radar (and many suburbanites who worry about getting the newest I-phone)...

It is the extremely poor area's, which have some of the worst schools, are mired in poverty, substandard housing, high vacancy rates and declining downtown's. Many have high crime rates. And their population is gradually declining and becoming poorer.

What has the State of NC done for them...ran water lines...usually using federal funds.
Totally agree it not poor areas but small towns from Mountains, Foothills, Piedmont, and Coastal Plains that textile furniture and old money from the factory owners kept the cities thriving and they offered good schools left when those industries left.

It sad because I have notice a lot of nice revitalizations in these small historic towns to counter the big box store era to make them some what thriving again but they lack good schools one of main pivotal points for family transplants.

Some would say jobs but over years on this forum I have notice many choosing long commutes to work to live in areas with good schools.

Why their is such a difference in small town and schools in urban cores in the same state or differences base on one side of a county verses another.

Also, lately across this state is alot water pollution, either from chemicals or sewage.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,537,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

SPOT ON !!!

We now have more takers than we have givers.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,137,377 times
I think we need a major coastal port with a rail connection to the most important rail hub in the state (Charlotte's intermodal facility) and an interstate connection to the largest city (Charlotte). This would be an enormous boom for the economy but would probably require a 20+ year investment.

As for the poor, I think the last 40 years has proved that the more resources provided, the more dependent communities become. Its hard for any small businesses to survive in this environment. Who can compete against free goods and services? Who can hire at the low wages needed to start a business when people are better off living on the dole? I rather live in a poor, proud and self sufficient community than have other peoples wealth handed out.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM

3,065 posts, read 4,801,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I think we need a major coastal port with a rail connection to the most important rail hub in the state (Charlotte's intermodal facility) and an interstate connection to the largest city (Charlotte). This would be an enormous boom for the economy but would probably require a 20+ year investment.

As for the poor, I think the last 40 years has proved that the more resources provided, the more dependent communities become. Its hard for any small businesses to survive in this environment. Who can compete against free goods and services? Who can hire at the low wages needed to start a business when people are better off living on the dole? I rather live in a poor, proud and self sufficient community than have other peoples wealth handed out.
I agree with your first paragraph...there isn't even a rest area between Charlotte and Wilmington. An Interstate would have a dramatic effect on the entire state. Remember when the oil spill happened in the Gulf...it affected Charlotte, even though there are gas tanks in Wilmington, Charlotte gets its gas from the Gulf. Rail, pipeline, roads...that would have an impact on the state....and look where you go through, one of those poorest areas I referenced.

When I stated what has been done in the poorer communities, I was referencing helping those communities with 1)their vacancy rates (both housing and commercial) and 2) economic development. Pretty much ALL of the ED money in NC goes to locate/expand businesses in and around Charlotte and Raleigh. There are huge swaths of poor communities where no real ED money is spent.

It is one thing to be poor and proud and self sufficient...it is quite another to be surrounded by dilapidated vacant buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina