Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 AM

875 posts, read 1,161,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
According to Phil Berger who also told us that if we cut taxes we will have more revenue. The simple fact is that for the longest time under democrats we had high taxes but were still one of the most desirable places to have a business. The Republicans have done most of the digging themselves on our fiscal situation by cutting taxes on yachts and raising them on electricity. You don't have mob rule in North Carolina, not even close you have oligarchy. The Republicans are trying to turn North Carolina into Mississippi.
The "mob rule" was a reference to the Moral Monday protestors. They threw a big enough tantrum and the result was potential legislation that would drive business out of state. None of us could get an appointment with Berger for such a thing and I'm not the one blocking their offices, chanting, singing, banging on pots and pans or calling the GOP a bunch of racists.

Quote:
You could expand medicaid and it would not cost North Carolina a dime for the first few years as Obamacare has the federal government paying 100% of the costs for the first few years and 90% afterwords. In those first years it would bring $4 Billion dollars to the state but conservatives have an ideological objection so they reject it without any logical reason.
That money is coming from you and me as a federal taxpayer, it doesn't come out of the magic government money tree. Oh, and the fund becomes insolvent in a few years as I've posted earlier. Where does the money come from after that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
Quote:
They threw a big enough tantrum
Let's be very clear. It's the GOP and its supporters who are throwing tantrums.

Quote:
That money is coming from you and me as a federal taxpayer, it doesn't come out of the magic government money tree. Oh, and the fund becomes insolvent in a few years as I've posted earlier. Where does the money come from after that?
We pay much more long term when people do not have insurance. People need to turn down the AM radios etc and drop the shock jock infotainer talking points, inform themselves and grow up.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
The "mob rule" was a reference to the Moral Monday protestors. They threw a big enough tantrum and the result was potential legislation that would drive business out of state. None of us could get an appointment with Berger for such a thing and I'm not the one blocking their offices, chanting, singing, banging on pots and pans or calling the GOP a bunch of racists.

This is the problem with the conservatives in the General assembly they have an ideology that trumps reason and logic. They think that the idea of people disagreeing with them and their attempt to dial back 50 years of progress in North Carolina in a few legislative sessions is "mob rule."

Then there is the question of Medicaid expansion. The simple fact is that money has already been appropriated and if not spent in North Carolina will be spent somewhere else. That money wouldn't cost the state anything and it will save lives by keeping rural hospitals open since they will have fewer uninsured patients. Yet the GOP rejects it because the are on an ALEC sponsored ideological crusade which has nothing to do with reason, logic, or what is good for North Carolina and a lot to do with an overarching national agenda dictated by out of state billionaires. The GOP in the legislature is simply not governing for the people of North Carolina they are governing for an ideological agenda that says if you hurt the poor and middle class enough somehow things will get magically better.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:
That money is coming from you and me as a federal taxpayer, it doesn't come out of the magic government money tree.

Yes, the money comes from taxpayers. And we're paying the taxes whether we accept the Medicaid money or not.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Let's be very clear. It's the GOP and its supporters who are throwing tantrums.
Really? So I could call up Berger's office right now and ask for him to draw up legislation that results in a tax increase and then meet with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
We pay much more long term when people do not have insurance. People need to turn down the AM radios etc and drop the shock jock infotainer talking points, inform themselves and grow up.
I didn't realize the trustees managing Medicare and Medicaid were shock jocks. Or the Wall Street Journal, the Economist, MSNBC, Congressional Budget Office, Congressional Research Service, New York Times, etc.

What does it say about you when your only counter-argument is an insult to my intelligence?

Quote:
This is the problem with the conservatives in the General assembly they have an ideology that trumps reason and logic. They think that the idea of people disagreeing with them and their attempt to dial back 50 years of progress in North Carolina in a few legislative sessions is "mob rule."
Ah, the "50 years of progress" strawman. The "mob rule" is the Moral Monday crowd screaming loud enough to get their way regardless of anyone else and they won't go away until they are appeased. The problem is, they are unwilling to compromise so they will never be appeased.

Quote:
Then there is the question of Medicaid expansion. The simple fact is that money has already been appropriated and if not spent in North Carolina will be spent somewhere else. That money wouldn't cost the state anything and it will save lives by keeping rural hospitals open since they will have fewer uninsured patients. Yet the GOP rejects it because the are on an ALEC sponsored ideological crusade which has nothing to do with reason, logic, or what is good for North Carolina and a lot to do with an overarching national agenda dictated by out of state billionaires. The GOP in the legislature is simply not governing for the people of North Carolina they are governing for an ideological agenda that says if you hurt the poor and middle class enough somehow things will get magically better.
Won't cost the state anything? The money comes from NC citizens! It makes no financial sense for the state to take the money from a fund that is becoming insolvent. Then there's the ALEC boogeyman talking point. Is that like ProgressNC? Conservative billionaires in politics are icky but Progressive billionaires are OK right? You railed against Soros-funded ProgressNC right? And please show me where any GOP member stated they wanted to hurt the poor or middle class.

The irrational GOP hate rears its head again in yet another thread. If Moral Monday can meet with a member of the GOP without bursting into flames perhaps some of you could too.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,410 times
Quote:
Ah, the "50 years of progress" strawman. The "mob rule" is the Moral Monday crowd screaming loud enough to get their way regardless of anyone else and they won't go away until they are appeased. The problem is, they are unwilling to compromise so they will never be appeased.

Won't cost the state anything? The money comes from NC citizens! It makes no financial sense for the state to take the money from a fund that is becoming insolvent. Then there's the ALEC boogeyman talking point. Is that like ProgressNC? Conservative billionaires in politics are icky but Progressive billionaires are OK right? You railed against Soros-funded ProgressNC right? And please show me where any GOP member stated they wanted to hurt the poor or middle class.

The irrational GOP hate rears its head again in yet another thread. If Moral Monday can meet with a member of the GOP without bursting into flames perhaps some of you could too.
You don't have an argument. All you have is insults and radical ideology.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
You don't have an argument. All you have is insults and radical ideology.
I'm the one that has been called stupid, backwards, redneck, etc. so don't feign offense for insults I haven't made. And calling out hypocrisy and identifying financial insolvency is radical? Wow.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Brad, sorry but your "point" regarding insolvency is no point at all. Even if insolvency should eventually happen, it makes financial sense to go ahead and take our money now. After all, we paid our share. When it's insolvent we get nothing.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Brad, sorry but your "point" regarding insolvency is no point at all. Even if insolvency should eventually happen, it makes financial sense to go ahead and take our money now. After all, we paid our share. When it's insolvent we get nothing.
Taking the money now makes NC dependent on that money. When it disappears with the insolvency what will replace it?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Taking the money now makes NC dependent on that money. When it disappears with the insolvency what will replace it?

What's "replacing" it now that we're not taking it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina