Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,684 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that people in North Carolina will drive with their hazard lights flashing during times of low visibility. I’m pretty sure this is legal, but I do not think this is a good practice. We’re training our drivers that when it is hard to see follow the flashing lights. So last night my wife was driving on 540 in a heavy downpour. Her preference would have been to pull into the breakdown lane, put her hazard lights on and wait it out. But hazard lights in NC while stopped make you a target to be rear-ended in NC. I think North Carolina should make driving with hazards on illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
If I am not mistaken, Ill look it up if you want the NC Handbook states if driving below the posted speed it recommended to turn hazard lights on when driving below the posted speed. This is why school buses on interstates have their hazard lights on.
I also think but not sure it recommends for cars to pull off near under passes during situation of storms.

I actually have opposite point of view that hazard lights should be used any time driving in heavy rain, fog or snow.
Drivers should be driving safe for road conditions in such situations means below the posted speed therefore hazard lights should be on.

Cars take increase time to stop in rain following cars with or without hazard lights should be done at considerable distance. I like drivers in bad conditions with hazard lights on as I can see them when the heavy rain causes me more likely to see them when the tail lights become harder to see in such conditions.
If one is needed to pulll of road and cant make it to a safer spot like an exit ramp they should not only have hazard lights on but keep the foot on the brake so its ovious to approaching vehicle this car is stopping or stopped.

If I had a wish, I would like rain-x be a required standard, it really makes a difference. There is one type that comes in aerosol can that I use that doesnt leave a haze.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 AM

282 posts, read 820,238 times
I would prefer drivers turn their headlights on, but now that everyone has daytime running lights no one does that. The problem with daytime running lights is that it doesn't help anyone behind you. I understand only using hazards when stopped, but there are situations where it can make sense, if you are on a highway (70 MPH) and only going 20 MPG you may not be stopped, but to drivers at speed you might as well be.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:22 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyzbo View Post
I would prefer drivers turn their headlights on, but now that everyone has daytime running lights no one does that. The problem with daytime running lights is that it doesn't help anyone behind you. I understand only using hazards when stopped, but there are situations where it can make sense, if you are on a highway (70 MPH) and only going 20 MPG you may not be stopped, but to drivers at speed you might as well be.
In the situations where people feel the need to use hazard lights, there is nobody going 70. Also when drivers drive with hazards how do they indicate lane changes? Answer....they don't.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:43 AM

45,343 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-16-2014 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: I don't know what states these are from.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
I really like the people who just run them for the "look at me" factor.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
I don't think it's a North Carolina thing since I don't do that, and never would. Honestly I think that's a thing drivers from elsewhere do, and I don't get it either. I can't find anything in the Drivers Handbook that states that they should be on for anything other than being disabled and on the shoulder of the road, or if you're moving in such a way that would impede the normal flow of traffic.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Speak to the Dept of Transportation if you want them to make a law about it, but it's not.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 PM

277 posts, read 436,108 times
The majority of the roads in NC are not interstate roads. As I drove HWY58 through Carteret county (wide, two lanes, 55mph speed limit) on my way to the beach a few weekends ago, the first rain band of hurricane Arthur passed. It was terribly heavy rain, but nothing I haven't seen from an afternoon t-storm. As I continued to drive, I found it almost impossible to see, and driving over 30-35mph was a no-go (and I use "high quality" wipers and window solution). I had been following a silver SUV, but could no longer see them. Another vehicle was following me and I thought to myself "can they see me? I should make sure I am as visible as possible." I turned on my flashers (front, back and side view mirrors) and suddenly the SUV turned theirs on too. I was thankful that I could now see them, and knew that I was not going to hit them. I also knew they could see me and felt better about the visibility of my truck to those behind me.

Point of the story: They're very useful for visibility purposes. One should be able to tell if another vehicle is in motion or off of the road.

Keep in mind this was in the afternoon and I could not see.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:23 AM

282 posts, read 820,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
In the situations where people feel the need to use hazard lights, there is nobody going 70. Also when drivers drive with hazards how do they indicate lane changes? Answer....they don't.
Yes in the situation you mentioned, but I was stating in a more generic sense. When buying patio furniture from costco my truck was loaded up, meaning I had to go VERY slow on 440. I put my flashers on to warn drivers going at or above speed limit to watch out.

I'm just saying, there are circumstances beyond a stopped disabled vehicle where flashers are the correct choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina