Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:51 AM

4,553 posts, read 6,377,185 times

Advertisements

Some of the arguments against narrow or stereotypical definitions of the South could be applied to the argument that DC and Baltimore are still in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,717,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Some of the arguments against narrow or stereotypical definitions of the South could be applied to the argument that DC and Baltimore are still in the South.
To an extent (DC and Baltimore are much closer geographically to the North than much of the South), although that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-05-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,278,968 times
Why do we always get these posts and questions? All three are still strongly southern. If you drive 3 minutes out of the core of each city you will see that all of the areas are still strongly southern. Perhaps the real question should be what does "Southern" look like in 2014? Even in the core of each city there is still strong Southern culture.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:50 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,450,813 times
The Triad is the fairly obvious answer here. I agree with whoever said that it is more "North Carolina's brand of southern" than what most people associate with "southern" though. I think a lot of people think rural-cotton growing deep southern draw with a broken pair of overalls and a cigarette hanging out of their mouth good ole' boys when the southern stereotype comes to mind. That is something more commonly found in Eastern NC. The Triad (and peidmont area of NC in general) is more post-textile small-town/neighborhood everyone-has-connections/ deep family ties soft southern accent with deep feelings about college basketball . It's a little more of a southern spin on middle class "Americana"

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,005,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Why do we always get these posts and questions? All three are still strongly southern. If you drive 3 minutes out of the core of each city you will see that all of the areas are still strongly southern. Perhaps the real question should be what does "Southern" look like in 2014? Even in the core of each city there is still strong Southern culture.
Excellent point.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,717,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Why do we always get these posts and questions?
Because the influx of transplants in certain areas of the state has some level of influence on local culture. That goes for any place.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,474,551 times
Yes, the influx of transplants (mostly from the northeast, not the "less northern" mid-west) are flooding the south's major urban areas. Look at the major urban areas of North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, and Tennessee. Even some of the less populated states of South Carolina, Alabama, and Arkansas are gaining more and more transplants as times goes by. I'm in college at the moment, but I attended high school in the Triangle region and it shocked me that southern accents were actually quite rare if you thought about it! Most of the kids didn't sound southern at all, but like me, they were born and raised in NC and many of their parents were as well. I'm not as familiar with the Charlotte and Triad areas regarding the situations in those areas with transplants, so that's why I started this thread. I did live in Charlotte for a few years at a young age, and most of the times I pass through that area are coming to and from the Atlanta area. To me, it seems more southern than the Triangle, but I wondered if I was the only one with this perception. I'm more familiar with the Triad, but I'm not really sure if it's gaining any outside transplants like the Triangle.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:10 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,968,307 times
Charlotte is more southern if you observe the vegetation and soil carefully. The pines are more round-topped, the soil gets more South Carolina sand-ish in areas. Crepe Myrtles are "weed trees" that pop up in corners of the yard. You can find cabbage palms in protected coves around the nearby lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina