Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,289,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Academic reputation of UNC vs NC State? It depends on the major you select.
I hope the can of worms has not been opened!
I have worked with people from both institutions and they have all been fine professionals. The UNC people tended to be on the business / operations / clinical side and NC state were technical (engineers / technology).

It's my opinion that those who had a technical or science undergraduate/graduate and pursued an MBA later have a decisive advantage in the later stages of their careers. One would be well served with either institution so long as there is a market for their profession and the cost benefit analysis makes sense for them personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 12:25 PM

401 posts, read 653,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I was going to say the same thing.

Jimmy sounds like a very eager young guy with a promising future no doubt. I hate to be cynical but the idea of "being pre-med major with a minor in computer science so that I can have a Ph.D/MD/Masters in Computer Science so I can create the machine that cures cancer" is just a little overly ambitious for a high school senior right now; but something to work towards an think about. An MD degree takes 8 years itself, not including residency; and a Ph.D in computer science would probably take just as long if not longer. Doing both at the same time? Not sure that is possible at any university in this state.

My suggestion to you Jimmy is that you pick a school that you will enjoy and that has a good reputation. NC State has the best programs and best reputation of the schools to which you have been accepted. UNC has a better academic reputation (and hey, I went there and loved every minute of it!) but you would have to wait until next Fall to apply. And your chances would be better if you went to another school for a year and then applied to transfer.
ah, I think i'm going to choose NC State.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM

401 posts, read 653,060 times
I'm going to Methodist University, i was too late to apply. Maybe next year! . I decided to get a sexy bachelor in Computer science. I think the thought of getting a doctorates is a little to high for now. Maybe i'll rethink on getting a doctorates a few years from now.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,406,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
I'm going to Methodist University, i was too late to apply. Maybe next year! . I decided to get a sexy bachelor in Computer science. I think the thought of getting a doctorates is a little to high for now. Maybe i'll rethink on getting a doctorates a few years from now.
First things first! Good luck. Enjoy your studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina