Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,974 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are now "Empty Nesters" and want to move to North Carolina. We live in Frisco,Texas now and the summers are unbearable. We want to relocate to an area that has four seasons. Right now our seasons are "Hot" and "Damn!" We are winter people and enjoy the Fall. We are retired school teachers; I was a high school band director and my wife, a third grade teacher. We want to know what the winters and summers are like in the north part if the state. Which cities are more affordable, with our budget for a home would be $300,000. We want to be active in the community and volunteer where needed. Could you lead us to the perfect area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Given what might appear to be interest in music and cultural events along with affordability I would recommend Winston Salem. It's a larger city but has a pleasant suburban feel with lots of trees and a park-like aesthetic, especially the NW side (north of Business-40 and west of University Parkway). Worth noting in retirement years that Winston Salem has excellent access to quality health care, with Wake Forest University's Medical Centers and Forsyth Medical Center. Check out the neighborhoods of Sherwood Forest, Bethabara, Country Club and Reynolda Park. In terms of weather the typical pattern is pretty much three months of each season tending toward the moderate side. Average summer highs in June, July and August are in the mid-80s with beautiful Falls and Springs. Winter is not that big a deal with three months of average highs around 50 and average lows around freezing (32), and snowfall totals averaging 7.5 inches per year.

Winston Salem Cultural Affairs Home Page
Average Weather for Winston-Salem, NC - Temperature and Precipitation
Winston Salem, North Carolina Average Snowfall | Current & Historical Data
Medical Center Campus - Wake Forest Baptist, North Carolina
https://www.novanthealth.org/forsyth...al-center.aspx

Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,534,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdave View Post
We want to know what the winters and summers are like in the north part if the state.
NC has more of an east-west orientation rather than north-south. Elevation will make more of a difference in climate. The eastern third of the state is flatter and hotter. The central part of the state (known as the Piedmont = foothills) is rolling and more moderate. The western part of the state is more mountainous and has cooler summers and winters.

I concur with the Winston-Salem recommendation.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Winston-Salem is also one of my favorities. But if the OP is interested in the mountains, they could consider Boone, Weaverville, Waynesboro, etc. Other interesting places in the center of the state are Hillsborough and Saxapahaw. See this summer music festival: Saturdays in Saxapahaw | River Mill Village

Old 07-30-2014, 01:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdave View Post
My wife and I are now "Empty Nesters" and want to move to North Carolina. We live in Frisco,Texas now and the summers are unbearable. We want to relocate to an area that has four seasons. Right now our seasons are "Hot" and "Damn!" We are winter people and enjoy the Fall. We are retired school teachers; I was a high school band director and my wife, a third grade teacher. We want to know what the winters and summers are like in the north part if the state. Which cities are more affordable, with our budget for a home would be $300,000. We want to be active in the community and volunteer where needed. Could you lead us to the perfect area?
There is no "perfect" are for everyone--you need to check out the place and see what fits YOU. NC is a large and diverse state. It's like asking "Hey, we're moving to Texas, can you point us to the perfect area?" How would you respond to that question?

If you are "winter people" you may want to look a little north of NC, as our summers are pretty hot and humid, unless you're in the mountains. You didn't mention mountains so I don't know if that is in yor criteria, nor did you say whether you want more urban or rural living.

It would do you to pay a visit to a state (any state) before deciding you want to move there, check out various cities that you've of course researched in objective sources such as City-Data's cities pages. and usually people choose a city/area to move to rather than an entire state, sight unseen. Again, it's like saying "Where in Texas should we move to??"--there is just no "one answer" for someone one doesn't know because people have different ideas of what they like.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 PM

6 posts, read 8,737 times
Texdave,

Charlotte is on the top 10 list of best cities to reside in. It has a nice mix of everything and 300K can get you a very comfortable selection of home choices. If you would like me to shed some light on any further questions you may have please feel free to reach out and ask. We also have all 4 seasons.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
Winston Salem is also home to the North Carolina School of the Arts (UNCSA). The have a constant program of top notch events. Many of these gifted young people will soon be world class. Another great reason to take a look at Winston Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina