Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:56 AM

185 posts, read 567,445 times

Advertisements

I live in PA, have you heard the phrase "two tickets, two fines! click it or ticket"? It means that you won't be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt but if you're pulled over for something else and you're also not wearing your seatbelt, they will charge you for both and they will charge you to the fullest extent possible for both tickets. That just doesn't seem worth it to me, not to mention that if you wreck and aren't wearing a seatbelt not only will you get hurt from the wreck, but the airbag can hurt or even kill you (the seatbelt protects you from both the wreck and the airbag!) Just something to think about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 10:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
I live in PA, have you heard the phrase "two tickets, two fines! click it or ticket"? It means that you won't be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt but if you're pulled over for something else and you're also not wearing your seatbelt, they will charge you for both and they will charge you to the fullest extent possible for both tickets. That just doesn't seem worth it to me, not to mention that if you wreck and aren't wearing a seatbelt not only will you get hurt from the wreck, but the airbag can hurt or even kill you (the seatbelt protects you from both the wreck and the airbag!) Just something to think about!

States have what they call primary and secondary charges. For NC a seat belt violation is a primary charge, meaning they can stop you for not wearing your seatbelt, even if that is the only offense. In Virginia where I hail from it is a secondary offense to not wear your selt belt, meaning law enforcement must have another (primary) reason to stop you before they could charge you for not wearing a seat belt. they vary from state to state. Some states can stop and write drivers for talking on their cell phone, while other states have that as a secondary offense, and still other states have no laws against talking on your cell at all.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
In NC beginning last summer, if the driver of a vehicle is pulled over and the rear seat passenger does not have a seat belt on, the rear passenger can get a ticket. So actually all must be wearing a seat belt now.

Adults charged with not having a seat belt on receive no drivers license points, but if there is a child under 16 without a seat belt on the driver can be charged and points will be added. Remember the driver is in control of the vehicle and is responsible for its passengers.

Something to keep in mind.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Thumbs up Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
In NC beginning last summer, if the driver of a vehicle is pulled over and the rear seat passenger does not have a seat belt on, the rear passenger can get a ticket. So actually all must be wearing a seat belt now.

Adults charged with not having a seat belt on receive no drivers license points, but if there is a child under 16 without a seat belt on the driver can be charged and points will be added. Remember the driver is in control of the vehicle and is responsible for its passengers.

Something to keep in mind.
Good advice! My Wife and I make it a point to buckle up before we even start the car and we stay buckled up all the while we are driving. If a passenger gives us grief about seat belts we give them two choices:

1) You have two minutes to buckle up or... see 2.
2) Guess you're walking as you can't drive with us unbuckled!

True story as we have had to do this several times (always a teenager).

We can only hope the OP is still reading all these posts and has learned something about staying alive.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
30 plus years ago, my wife and I made vows to each other that we would always buckle up when we drove or rode in a vehicle, for the simple reason we would not allow a moment of laziness or forgetfulness to forever change the life of someone we deeply care about.

But if your are too lazy to buckle up, they quite being so damn selfish and think about those that care about you and buckle up.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:04 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
States have what they call primary and secondary charges. For NC a seat belt violation is a primary charge, meaning they can stop you for not wearing your seatbelt, even if that is the only offense. In Virginia where I hail from it is a secondary offense to not wear your selt belt, meaning law enforcement must have another (primary) reason to stop you before they could charge you for not wearing a seat belt. they vary from state to state. Some states can stop and write drivers for talking on their cell phone, while other states have that as a secondary offense, and still other states have no laws against talking on your cell at all.
BUT.....I guarantee you that many cops that see you not wearing a seat belt, even in one of the states it is secondary, they will FIND a reson to stop you and then ticket you for both!!! I have many friends in law enforcement and this is what they tell me!!

Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kare893969 View Post
Hello, I received a ticket today for 100.00 for not having my seat belt on. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can be appealed since I recently moved here and up in PA, they don't really pull you over for not having a belt on. Well at least I never was.
Sorry you got flamed so much
They are right though - the seat belt is there to protect you. I was a cop in the UK for 30 years and went to many accidents where people had been killed and who would have survived had they worn their seatbelts. The worse ones were those who had been ejected from the vehicle and who's trajectory had been stopped by a solid object or who's face had run along the payment for 50 yards or so. As a cop I didn't have to wear a seatbelt ( in case I had to exit the vehicle quickly) but I wouldn't ride without it fastened
That $100 fine may save your life

Old 12-24-2007, 06:38 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
IMHO, if someone wants to drive without seat belts, then they should be allowed to. However, their drivers license contract should state that they automatically waive any claims for medical insurance if they have an accident. If they want the "freedom" from this law, they can take the responsibility that goes with it and pay their medical bills out of their own pocket. Too many of us pay for the actions of others!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:00 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
Make sure you remove all identifiers from the outside of your car. Once you have a NC plate is one thing but check to see if you have a dealer's identifier stickers on the rear of your car. If you can remove it.
I got a ticket which I was allowed to go to class to reduce the fine and not have any points. There were only five people in the class all from out of state. Three had out of state plates and two of us had NC plates but had dealers stickers. That should tell you something about NC law enforcement. I removed the dealer's sticker and never got stopped again.
However, I believe that any person in a vehicle should have a restraint unless they have a medical reason for not wearing one.
Don

Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
IMHO, if someone wants to drive without seat belts, then they should be allowed to. However, their drivers license contract should state that they automatically waive any claims for medical insurance if they have an accident. If they want the "freedom" from this law, they can take the responsibility that goes with it and pay their medical bills out of their own pocket. Too many of us pay for the actions of others!
And have signed permission slips from spouses, children, or parents stating that they are in agreement, and if they are killed that they will hold no one responsible except for the individual, and that they are financially solvent and will not have to rely on public assistance due to the loss of the deceased persons income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina