Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 PM

7 posts, read 14,315 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!
I am planning on taking the Praxis II for ESL. I would like to teach ESL at the elementary school level in N.C. I was wondering if anyone here on the forum knows if ESL is in demand right now in N.C. and if so, which counties? I would be a lateral entry teacher, starting my master's in ESL or TESOL in the Fall. I do not have an education degree, but years of teaching/tutoring ESL to students here in the U.S. I also have an extensive background in special education, and have heard that this field is always in demand there in N.C.? Is this true? I really appreciate any feedback on this. I am fully aware about how hard teachers are having it there right now, so I am not going into this blind, lol. But, I love to teach! It's my passion! Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvsseasand69 View Post
I would like to teach ESL at the elementary school level in N.C. I was wondering if anyone here on the forum knows if ESL is in demand right now in N.C. and if so, which counties? I would be a lateral entry teacher, starting my master's in ESL or TESOL in the Fall. I do not have an education degree, but years of teaching/tutoring ESL to students here in the U.S. I also have an extensive background in special education, and have heard that this field is always in demand there in N.C.? Is this true? I really appreciate any feedback on this.
Here's a central site for teaching jobs in NC. They warn you that not every county lists their openings. There are a few ESL jobs listed.
Look for Jobs - North Carolina Public School Jobs

There are also many Hispanic families moving into more rural counties like Lee and Sampson. Here's a couple of examples: http://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/Jo...D+LANG+TEACHER
http://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/Jo...+LANG.+TEACHER
http://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/Jo...ECOND+LANGUAGE

Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Our ESL teacher is worthless.

Takes kids out of math "it fits my schedule."

She works a number of schools, and can only whine about how hard she works.

Make sure you understand what you are getting in to.

And if you do end up doing this don't tell classroom teachers about the Federal Law and how important you are. We don't care.

And if you do this, please do not call a room where EOG testing is taking place, because you "forgot."

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Our ESL teacher is worthless.

Takes kids out of math "it fits my schedule."

She works a number of schools, and can only whine about how hard she works.

Make sure you understand what you are getting in to.

And if you do end up doing this don't tell classroom teachers about the Federal Law and how important you are. We don't care.

And if you do this, please do not call a room where EOG testing is taking place, because you "forgot."

Good luck.
Wow talk about whining!!!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Wow talk about whining!!!

Huh???????

Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 14,315 times
Thank you Goldenage for the reply! So Helpful! I believe you have helped me out on another thread concerning where to live there in N.C. with aging parents, so again, many thanks!

LLN...all I can say is, Wow! that is a LOT of bitterness there! But I will not let that stop my show! I realize that you have a particular dislike of the ESL teacher at your school, but it is a shame that you are allowing it to influence your opinion about all ESL teachers there in N.C. It is also a shame that this ESL teacher whines and does "pull outs" to suit her schedule. I am sure that not ALL ESL teachers there in N.C. are unproductive whiners!

Boss...Are you a teacher? Please give me some advice! How do you feel about ESL there in N.C. ?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:47 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
I would do some research into the ways the NC Legislature has been beating up on all teachers in the past couple of years. We are currently 46th in pay, and they are likely to cut teaching assistants next year. Teachers are leaving the profession, and the state, in droves.I just learned of yet another acquaintance who left the profession after this past school year (a science teacher, in high demand). This was one who had moved to NC specifically to teach, a few years ago.

If you are not already in NC and just want somewhere to teach ESL, I would look into the salaries at a bunch of states unless there is some reason it has to be NC. Bad news for the teachers here and a Governor and Legislature who treat them with great disrespect.

That said, I would search for demographic maps of NC and see where the biggest pockets of Latinos are. Not that they are the only ones who need ESL but certainly the biggest demographic who would.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:31 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
Sampson County currently has several openings for ESL teachers.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 39,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I would do some research into the ways the NC Legislature has been beating up on all teachers in the past couple of years. We are currently 46th in pay, and they are likely to cut teaching assistants next year. Teachers are leaving the profession, and the state, in droves.I just learned of yet another acquaintance who left the profession after this past school year (a science teacher, in high demand). This was one who had moved to NC specifically to teach, a few years ago.

If you are not already in NC and just want somewhere to teach ESL, I would look into the salaries at a bunch of states unless there is some reason it has to be NC. Bad news for the teachers here and a Governor and Legislature who treat them with great disrespect.

That said, I would search for demographic maps of NC and see where the biggest pockets of Latinos are. Not that they are the only ones who need ESL but certainly the biggest demographic who would.
The North Carolina Legislature has been beating up on teachers for the last couple of decades. Not just the past couple of years.

To the OP, I wish you the best luck.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM

83 posts, read 266,239 times
ESL is a high need area in NC. You can apply for the teach grant which will help pay for some tuition as long as you commit to teaching in a high need low income area. Not sure about the lateral entry though...most schools want teachers who are already licensed. I am in a grad cert program to get my teacher licensure, and have had no luck applying as a lateral entry. I guess I'm going to have to quit my job to do my student teaching for the semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina