U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 AM

41 posts, read 157,635 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I need some feedback. I love these boards! So informative from native NCians and others.

I came to Raleigh in the spring and have been renting after having sold a home in the D.C. area. As a one-income household I do not think this area is that cheap, at least not to get into a nice neighborhood. Long story short, I have been eyeing the Triad area instead (WS, GSO, Highpoint, Burlington, etc.) I have driven around for months now trying to figure out what to do. It's driving me crazy! After 6 months, nothing.

When I find a house online that looks good ONLINE, that's all it turns out to be. My range is capped at $150K (I know, sounds low for those of you who can afford the median $250-300K home.) When I look in the Triad area, even homes in my range seem to be old (needing a lot of work) in neighorhoods where others haven't taken care of their own homes, condos (nothing but a glorified apartment w/ a mortgage) or tiny townhouses (hate sharing walls with people who have 50-inch TV's & no concept of yard boundaries.)

Just whining a bit and hoping for some feedback. Yay for couples and two-income folks or people who've sold homes for astronomical prices "back north" and can put down huge down payments but I'm footing everything alone and wondering if maybe there are some areas I've overlooked, gems around a corner or two that some of you may know of. I'd also like to hear from one-incomers.

The nationwide housing prices are just not single-friendly. Unless we want to live in condos or rat holes. Or move to Texas or the woods of Alabama. The latter ain't happening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 09:44 AM

325 posts, read 1,346,291 times
I rented for about 6 years in Raleigh before buying a house. That's about 2 years of renting while a student after I left the dorm life, and about 4 years of renting after getting married shortly after graduating. Our limit was around $150k also, and we wound up outside of Zebulon, which is great considering I never liked living in Raleigh (after my college party days) and I grew up 30 miles east of here. Feels like home to me: quiet, rural, large lot, great neighbors who'll do anything for you, and a great church family down the road who I feel like I've known all of my life!

Old 10-27-2006, 04:29 PM

201 posts, read 821,453 times
I can't speak to NC but will just advise in general from having relocated before.

It is a very wise to rent first before you buy. Why? Because you can learn a lot about the town, the people, the area, etc. before committing yourself to buying. If you bought immediately after you get there, and if you don't like the area, neighborhood, etc., you really are stuck until you can get rid of the property. Emotionally and psychologically, because you have that house, you are more inclined to force yourself to accept and compromise on a neighborhood or area that you don't like.

When you are new to any city/town, you will always see it from a different perspective than someone who has lived there for at least 6-12 months and more. Renting gives you an option to like or dislike a place without the huge commitment. It helps you make better decisions. I know that some people hate renting for they think it's throwing money away. I understand this thought but I think that when relocating to a new state/city, the rules are quite different.

I did not have anyone advising me on this issue before. When we relocated to Austin, TX, we bought a house right away for we got too taken in by the lower prices and bigger sized homes. Emotionally, we also "wanted" to go from our own house to another home that we owned. After we were in our Austin house for less than a year, we found that we did not even like the city and wanted to leave but was so tied down by the house. We have always looked back and know that the wisest thing we should have done was to rent first and then buy (if indeed you find that is where you want to be).

In your case, if you rented for a while, you can take your time to find the home you do want at a decent price. It's very important to take the time and the process to find the place you'd call home. If your budget isn't large, then it'd take you more time to find what you want but it's all do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA2 View Post
Hi all.

I need some feedback. I love these boards! So informative from native NCians and others.

I came to Raleigh in the spring and have been renting after having sold a home in the D.C. area. As a one-income household I do not think this area is that cheap, at least not to get into a nice neighborhood. Long story short, I have been eyeing the Triad area instead (WS, GSO, Highpoint, Burlington, etc.) I have driven around for months now trying to figure out what to do. It's driving me crazy! After 6 months, nothing.

When I find a house online that looks good ONLINE, that's all it turns out to be. My range is capped at $150K (I know, sounds low for those of you who can afford the median $250-300K home.) When I look in the Triad area, even homes in my range seem to be old (needing a lot of work) in neighorhoods where others haven't taken care of their own homes, condos (nothing but a glorified apartment w/ a mortgage) or tiny townhouses (hate sharing walls with people who have 50-inch TV's & no concept of yard boundaries.)

Just whining a bit and hoping for some feedback. Yay for couples and two-income folks or people who've sold homes for astronomical prices "back north" and can put down huge down payments but I'm footing everything alone and wondering if maybe there are some areas I've overlooked, gems around a corner or two that some of you may know of. I'd also like to hear from one-incomers.

The nationwide housing prices are just not single-friendly. Unless we want to live in condos or rat holes. Or move to Texas or the woods of Alabama. The latter ain't happening.

Last edited by speedoflight; 10-27-2006 at 04:40 PM..

Old 10-27-2006, 05:43 PM

463 posts, read 1,574,720 times
I'm not a Realtor nor do I play one on the Internet but I do still have a listing book account. I did a quick search and there are several new or fairly new homes slightly above your price range ( like 156K) in Kernersville and Stokesdale. They are not fixer-uppers. Heck, there a couple that I could live in and I'm picky I don't know what you do for a living but the job market in the Triad is not that great. If you're thinking aboujt moving to the Triad area, I really do suggest that you rent to see if it would be a good fit for you. As for how long to rent... can't answer that one definitively, but best wishes to you!

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Hi all.

Last edited by Cassie; 10-27-2006 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-27-2006, 05:51 PM

30 posts, read 105,191 times
I'm moving to nc next week , plan on renting 1 year and then i'll buy if i'm able to find something good between 140,000-160,000 which i saw nice homes for that price in greensboro

Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 PM

233 posts, read 863,623 times
Default 12 months of Renting..

Quote:
Hi all.

Nice to meet another Nova.

Well, I just moved to NC and I plan to rent for at least 12 months. I have never owned a home, but my experience living in Atlanta has prepared me in some ways. I use to live South of the city (ATL), but most jobs are in the City or on the North side. I moved to the North side, though I was close to the job, I did not like the weekend life (too business district). Finally, I moved to the East side which I liked, but didn't like the homes in my price range. In hindsight, had I bought a house on the South side or North side I would have been stuck in a neighborhood that I did not care for.

I like where I rent now in NC, but I would still prefer to look around at other neighborhoods before I purchase ($150K limit) a home. More than likely, it will be in this very same neighborhood where I am renting.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 AM

41 posts, read 157,635 times
Default Thanks all!

Good feedback.

Regarding the (around) $150K limit, I've had realtors suddenly forget my number or e-mail address, which is kind of funny in a sad way. Guess they thought the commission of driving me around for three weeks to peruse homes just wasn't worth it.

Whatever.

To the responder from San Francisco-- yep, you hit the nail on the head-- I think that renting is a total waste of money which is why I'm fretting over hurrying to find a HOUSE.

Years ago, around 2000, I did a rough yet close estimate of how much rent I've paid since turning 18 years of age and it topped $100k!!! So, after realizing that AND having had a home before with great equity after selling, paying rent literally hurts me. It physically pains me to pay $600-850/month for a mere apartment.

But slowing down and being logical about it is everything.

After reading this feedback, I think I'll round out a year and rent in the Triad for the second six months. Then make a decision.

I appreciate this board. Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 AM

127 posts, read 572,514 times
Default Realtor stuff

Quote:
Good feedback.

Regarding the (around) $150K limit, I've had realtors suddenly forget my number or e-mail address, which is kind of funny in a sad way. Guess they thought the commission of driving me around for three weeks to peruse homes just wasn't worth it.
A decent realtor in the Greensboro area should give you a listingbook account, where you ca look up the properties online yourself. Make your own list of homes you want to look at. You can even drive by them to see if you like the area before having the realtor take you in.

The $150,000 limit is most likeley not an issue with a realtor. Their impression of your commitment to buy will make a difference. Any realotor would be more than happy to show you around if they knew you were commited to buy withing a reasonable timeframe without unreasonable expectations.

Let your realtor kow that you're SERIOUS. Many realtors spend weeks driving people around who maybe-kinda-sorta are kinda-sorta *thinking* about buying. When I purchased my home, my realtor was flabergasted that I came, looked, and purchased, instead of taking months of his time and then deciding not to buy There is a good percentage of people who do this to a realtor. Rememeber, they get paid on commision, and commision only. If you don't seem serious, they'll see you as someone who will lose them time and money.

As for where to look... What I did was reasearch what schools were good FIRST. Then I looked at homes within those districts. This may be a good way to go, even if you don't have kids.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:27 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 15,391,678 times
I don't have kids that I need to worry about good schools but I agree that finding a good school district will tell you a lot about everything else and how gov't spends your money.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,171 times
Does anyone have information on renting a small house or two bedroom in the Summerfield, NC area? I plan to locate fall, 2007 from Arizona. Any advice is appreciated. Lynne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina