Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:38 PM

20 posts, read 36,502 times

Advertisements

We are trying to relocate to NC after retiring from upper NYS and need some input as to where to start looking at 1st we were looking to buy a house in the 80,000-100,000 price range. No we think we will rent an apartment. We need some suggestions as to some apartments that are 2 bedroom 2 baths and single level. Where are the best possibilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
What are you actually looking for?

large city, some town, rural
ocean, mountains, piedmont
rental budget?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Some of the more popular retirement places in NC would be towns like Chapel Hill and Asheville. Both are relatively compact/easy to get around, offer a lot of conveniences, social/recreational opportunity and have easy access to quality medical care.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:57 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Some of the more popular retirement places in NC would be towns like Chapel Hill and Asheville. Both are relatively compact/easy to get around, offer a lot of conveniences, social/recreational opportunity and have easy access to quality medical care.
Not gonna find a house for $80-100K in CH or Asheville. Tough to find that ANYWHERE (except Detroit).

Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
There are other places in the midwest, like Iowa, where you can find a house for that price, but the only places in NC that you will find a single family house for that price will be small, economically depressed, towns far away from a bigger city and good healthcare.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not gonna find a house for $80-100K in CH or Asheville. Tough to find that ANYWHERE (except Detroit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There are other places in the midwest, like Iowa, where you can find a house for that price, but the only places in NC that you will find a single family house for that price will be small, economically depressed, towns far away from a bigger city and good healthcare.
Not really. $100k will easily get someone a good house within 30 miles of Charlotte.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:30 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I could be wrong. I guess it depends on your definition of a "good" house and your definition of a "small, economically depressed" town. I sure wouldn't want to retire to Sanford, or Hickory, or Shelby, or Albemarle, but others may.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I could be wrong. I guess it depends on your definition of a "good" house and your definition of a "small, economically depressed" town. I sure wouldn't want to retire to Sanford, or Hickory, or Shelby, or Albemarle, but others may.
Yeah it definitely depends of these definitions.

I'm thinking 900-1500 sq ft home built between 1950-1990 in a working class neighborhood. I'm also thinking Kings Mountain, Gastonia/Mt Holly/Belmont, Kannapolis, Monroe, Rock Hill, Lincolnton - any of these will put one within 30 minutes of Charlotte. None of these towns are NYC, but they're nice enough for those that don't want to live in the the middle of a busy city (a lot of retired people) yet easily within driving distance of NC's biggest city.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:58 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,339 times
Default Plenty of choices.

Don't let them B.S. you.
There's PLENTY of houses in that price range throughout the entire state of North Carolina.
While it's true that you're not going to find them in Chapel Hill ... unless you're looking for a real fixer, there's plenty of choices within driving range.

That's what most people have to do here... drive.
It's green and spread out as you know.
But you're already said you're looking to find a place to RENT.
(It's cheaper to buy these days.)

There are apartments for rent in the country, in semi-rural areas, and in the urban locations.

Just remember that the locals are threaten by, "outsiders"
Just because you're getting away from crazy, negative people in Delaware, doesn't mean there's not a ton of them waiting for you when you arrive here.

You may also want to look at Durham.
I heard all these horror stories about how dangerous Durham is... and after talking to cops and emergency police dispatchers, I found out its a bunch of crap. There are a lot of "crimes of opportunity" ... like if your wife leaves her purse on the front seat and a window half open "for just a second" ... that's a crime of opportunity.

Renting is good.
It'll give you a chance to feel out the place and decide if you want to commit for a longer term.
(The world is angry-crazy now days. Don't let it discourage you.)
Oh, and craigslist and local newspapers can help.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:10 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The OP made no suggestion of the term "house". One can find condos in/around both cities in that price range. Plus they're retiring, who wants a house in that scenario?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina