Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,674 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a position in this area. I am not from this area and am not familiar with it at all. I am looking for an apartment in a nice area, but am finding that most of the apartments around here are subsidized and you can't make more than a certain amount to live there. What do y'all think? Does anyone know this area and can comment about it. I just want to find a safe , clean place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyVA View Post
Does anyone know this area and can comment about it. I just want to find a safe , clean place to live.
I live in coastal NC, and I would suggest you plan to rent a house. Whiteville is a fairly rural area, and most people except the poorest would prefer to live in a house. If you don't want to do yard work, you can hire someone to mow the lawn.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:57 PM

186 posts, read 331,113 times
I lived in Whiteville for about a year, back about 15 years ago. The town has seen its better days. It was mainly a mill town, even though it's also the county seat, so there are government jobs still propping up the economy. Many of the mills shut down in the last 15 years. I agree with the other poster....renting a house is probably a better option. Consult with a real estate agent in town and see what she/he can find for you. I recall there were a couple of nice little older neighborhoods in the downtown area around the courthouse square. Another option is to look around Lake Waccamaw area.....that is more modern higher-end housing (on a relative scale) and you might find some rental properties near the Lake. But you'd have to drive into town for shopping, eating, etc. Depends on what kind of lifestyle you want.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Yes, in all honesty, it's a very boring town in a very boring area of the state. Wilmington is the closest place with anything "going on", if you want that, so you might want to look somewhere in between Whiteville and Wilm. Lumberton is another "town of a certain size" nearby but I hear really bad things in recent times about Lumberton, so check it out well before considering there.

Note that maybe you WANT somewhere sleepy and rural, in which case you've picked the right area!

Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
I would suggest living in Wilmington or maybe better Leland and commuting for a year. Once you get acclimated and know the area better, you could move into Whiteville if you wanted to. A house is your best bet, it shouldnt be too expensive in a nice neighborhood.

The commute is pretty easy...no traffic on 74, probably 40 minutes.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 PM

Thank you for your responses. I have to make a decision by Thursday and am visiting the area tomorrow to check things out.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I don't think there's much of an advantage of Lumberton over Whiteville, but HP91's suggestion of living in Wilmington and commuting isn't bad. I, personally, would not want to live in Whiteville. My roots are in SE NC, but I wouldn't want to live there unless I was at the beach.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:59 PM

353 posts, read 604,501 times
I grew up in Columbus County, about 30 miles from Whiteville. It would take an obscene amount of money to get me to move back to that area.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
You and me both BarLatGo. Nice place for some folks and it could be good for the OP, but not me.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 AM

I've been offerred a teaching position here in the elementary schools. I'm living in Southeastern VA right now. I'm right out of College. I came down yesterday with my mother looking at the area. My mother has some major
Concern especially-. finding a safe place to live. It's a year contract. Jobs are hard to find and I want to get out on my own. If you had a daughter, would you want her moving here?

Thanks poppydog and BarLatgo for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina