Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times

Advertisements

Absolutely Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I like SC better because of proximity of Charlotte and Myrtle Beach, Charleston & even Greenville. SC reminds me of sunshine, warmth, palmettos and beaches.

And I second those prefer to vacation in SC and live in VA. I would live in a DC suburb in Northern Virginia and wouldn't choose to live anywhere in SC. Not even the Charlotte suburbs. DC is the only reason I would live in VA. I would prefer Baltimore though

I guess it'd be fair also to ask Tennessee also.
Tennessee is quite an interesting state, I've enjoyed the times I've traveled through. People seem to always say it's very similar to NC, but it feels a bit different to me, more so like Kentucky. Can't say anything about Memphis, but Nashville doesn't remind me of any city in NC. Eastern TN is similar to western NC, though. You'll see many NC license plates around Knoxville and vice versa around Asheville. In the long run, there isn't a lot of interaction between NC and TN. Most of NC's population lives closer to Virginia and South Carolina, not so much Tennessee and Georgia.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Tennessee is quite an interesting state, I've enjoyed the times I've traveled through. People seem to always say it's very similar to NC, but it feels a bit different to me, more so like Kentucky. Can't say anything about Memphis, but Nashville doesn't remind me of any city in NC. Eastern TN is similar to western NC, though. You'll see many NC license plates around Knoxville and vice versa around Asheville. In the long run, there isn't a lot of interaction between NC and TN. Most of NC's population lives closer to Virginia and South Carolina, not so much Tennessee and Georgia.
I agree. I like Tennessee but it doesn't really remind me of North Carolina. Nashville is a great city but it definitely has its own vibe. It is in middle TN and quite large so it is pretty far from any North Carolina influence or similarity or whatevs. Kville is a GREAT city and I almost moved there 4 months ago. Kville does remind me of WNC mainly because of the topography. Memphis is a horribly depressing place - I went there and passed through it several times when I lived in Little Rock. It's an old, gray, rundown looking place and I hear lots of horror stories...

Old 07-26-2014, 08:14 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I agree. I like Tennessee but it doesn't really remind me of North Carolina. Nashville is a great city but it definitely has its own vibe. It is in middle TN and quite large so it is pretty far from any North Carolina influence or similarity or whatevs. Kville is a GREAT city and I almost moved there 4 months ago. Kville does remind me of WNC mainly because of the topography. Memphis is a horribly depressing place - I went there and passed through it several times when I lived in Little Rock. It's an old, gray, rundown looking place and I hear lots of horror stories...
You're right, most of TN's population lives far away from NC. Nashville is quite a drive from Charlotte, Winston-Salem, or any NC city and Memphis is VERY far from NC. I visited Nashville once and I liked what I saw, seems like a city heading in a good direction and from what I hear, it has always been a progressive southern city. I want to visit Memphis, but I've also heard terrible things about it, same with the Delta region of Mississippi. Knoxville is fine, never visited Chattanooga. Bringing the conservation back to NC, I believe VA is the most similar state to NC but I'm sure others would disagree and pick SC or GA.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Memphis is a horribly depressing place - I went there and passed through it several times when I lived in Little Rock. It's an old, gray, rundown looking place and I hear lots of horror stories...
Memphis has its rough areas for sure, but I dig its downtown; it has a gritty, authentic vibe to it which I like, and even newer areas like near Autozone Park and the FedEx Center. It has a lot of historic buildings that have seen better days and are ripe for restoration as well.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 PM

31 posts, read 46,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Which neighbor do you prefer (include Tennessee and Georgia if you like)? This can be anything, from which state you believe is more similar to NC, which state you enjoy traveling in, etc.
South Carolina. It's further away from the cesspool that is Washington, DC.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,757 times
Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyzmakr View Post
South Carolina. It's further away from the cesspool that is Washington, DC.
Our nation's cosmopolitan, international, art and museum-filled Capital is a cesspool, but South Carolina ... where the Governor is advocating for everyone to be able to walk around with concealed handguns ... even as they get drunk in bars... is the higher choice??

((ROTFLMAO))

Old 07-31-2014, 04:44 PM

31 posts, read 46,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Our nation's cosmopolitan, international, art and museum-filled Capital is a cesspool, but South Carolina ... where the Governor is advocating for everyone to be able to walk around with concealed handguns ... even as they get drunk in bars... is the higher choice??

((ROTFLMAO))

Oh, people in DC don't drink or have guns? I guess the +30.2% increase in the murder rate over last year proves nothing. I guess all those murders are committed with spoons. Do all those drunken bureaucrats, on power and booze, have an equilibrium problem or is stumbling around after 7 pm a sport in DC?!

FACT: States with conceal carry laws have lower crime rates and less mass shootings.

I was referring to the government, politicians and bureaucrats, not buildings or trappings. The counties surrounding the capitol are the richest areas on Earth. That's our tax dollars they're gorging on at the trough of government overspending and lawlessness.

But don't let facts get in the way of your ignorance.

Last edited by Noyzmakr; 07-31-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 09:24 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Virginia.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:35 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Virginia. It's more progressive, beautiful, and part of the dynamic DC area. It is also more like NC than SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina