Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Virginia is truly a beautiful state, people and land.
And so is SC. I could easily live in Myrtle Beach, Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Tidewater, Richmond or NoVA...matter of fact those would be my geographic preferences outside of NC. Preferably Tidewater or anywhere from North Myrtle/Grandstrand down to Charleston. Beach, Golf, Seafood (fresh), etc. with the ability to get to most places in the Mid and South Atlantic and travel the Northeastern corridor for a weekend escapade when the urge hits. Love both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:03 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
You have your opinions, I have mine...
This isn't a matter of opinion though, that's the thing. You don't have to leave NC get your urbex fix at all and again, nothing in SC even comes close to Gary, Flint, Camden, etc.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
And so is SC. I could easily live in Myrtle Beach, Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Tidewater, Richmond or NoVA...matter of fact those would be my geographic preferences outside of NC. Preferably Tidewater or anywhere from North Myrtle/Grandstrand down to Charleston. Beach, Golf, Seafood (fresh), etc. with the ability to get to most places in the Mid and South Atlantic and travel the Northeastern corridor for a weekend escapade when the urge hits. Love both states.
I am not a fan of SC's climate, culture, or politics. I much prefer VA's. But there is something out there for everyone.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I am not a fan of SC's climate, culture, or politics. I much prefer VA's. But there is something out there for everyone.
As someone who tries to distance NC from all things Southern every chance you get, I'm not surprised to see you state as much.

And NC and SC aren't nearly as different on these points as you might think--especially politics post-2010.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:49 PM

396 posts, read 409,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Problem with discussions like this is that they are as subjective as they are factious.

There are a number of people that find Utah absolutely beautiful and wonderful. I despise it. That isn't to say it is universally unappealing, simply that it doesn't conform to my tastes.

I agree with Tarheelhombre to an extent. I am not a big fan of South Carolina's climate or politics, but that is not to say that South Carolina is a bad state in any sense, again it just isn't my cup of tea.

Threads like this too often devolve into a fight to achieve a consensus on a non-existent objective truth.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Problem with discussions like this is that they are as subjective as they are factious.

There are a number of people that find Utah absolutely beautiful and wonderful. I despise it. That isn't to say it is universally unappealing, simply that it doesn't conform to my tastes.

I agree with Tarheelhombre to an extent. I am not a big fan of South Carolina's climate or politics, but that is not to say that South Carolina is a bad state in any sense, again it just isn't my cup of tea.

Threads like this too often devolve into a fight to achieve a consensus on a non-existent objective truth.
I get the politics angle (although as I previously stated, on a statewide level NC and SC aren't very different these days), but as far as climate goes, that's an interesting take. I can see someone from western NC saying that, but otherwise the climate isn't too much different from most of SC, especially eastern NC. For the most part, we're only talking minor differences in average temps and humidity with a slightly higher chance of snow in the winter for NC and a greater threat of hurricanes. But hey, I guess those minor differences could mean a lot for some people.

I also get the sense that, with a couple of folks who live in the Triangle saying as much here, they really wouldn't prefer to live anywhere else in NC either if they had a choice.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:19 AM

343 posts, read 685,812 times
Cheaper gas. I always fill up before entering NC. But I think we have the best roads because of it. On the other hand, Once they start building tolls in NC where I will have to pay High Gas, Vehicle Tax and Tolls then I'm out.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
Cheaper gas. I always fill up before entering NC. But I think we have the best roads because of it. On the other hand, Once they start building tolls in NC where I will have to pay High Gas, Vehicle Tax and Tolls then I'm out.
Gas is $2.09 today in Winston-Salem...how much is it where you are? I can't imagine it being much cheaper. It's always funny to me when I read about people filling up where they see gas $.03 cents cheaper per gallon - wow, they saved all of 50 cents!

Old 08-29-2015, 04:41 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
It's more about regions than states...there is little difference across the Piedmont through VA/NC/SC. Same goes for the mountains/foothills/coastal plain/beaches. It's hard to tell any difference just by stepping over the state line between any of the three.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:29 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Does SC have a techie area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina