Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:41 PM

475 posts, read 900,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
This does not make sense. How can you get your plate removed for an offense that occurred months before? I presume the car was insured when it was pulled over. Can a NC cop write you a speeding ticket because they saw you speeding last year but they were busy doing something else? I don't think so.

Perhaps you friend? is not being completely truthful.

I will agree that NC legislators are in bed with some influence providers $$$$ but that is another topic.
Just because you violate a law (many and most laws) doesn't mean you get away with it because you aren't caught at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 04:47 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boncar View Post
Thank you for expounding. In our state, the DMV is notified when there is no insurance on a licensed vehicle, but turning in the license plate and then buying a new plate when insurance is reinstated is not a requirement here. We just update the auto insurance, paperwork proof and drive on!
You didn't answer my question as to which state you are talking about. No matter, your post history here indicates that you live in Alabama. This is directly from the alabama.gov website as to requirements for minimium liability insurance.
The Alabama Mandatory Liability Insurance (MLI) Law provides that no person shall operate, register, or maintain registration of a motor vehicle designed to be used on a public road or highway unless it is covered by a liability insurance policy. The law was passed to protect consumers when they are involved in an accident.

So it seems that you are not familiar with the law, and if you have been canceling your insurance while registered then you are in violation of the law as you would be in NC. Furthermore, some of the examples you give like a camper trailer, do not require liability insurance. It's the same in both states. This applies to any trailer, boat trailer, etc.

If this isn't your state, then let us know what state you are talking about. Otherwise, you really have no point to make.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 PM

35 posts, read 58,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You didn't answer my question as to which state you are talking about. No matter, your post history here indicates that you live in Alabama. This is directly from the alabama.gov website as to requirements for minimum liability insurance.
The Alabama Mandatory Liability Insurance (MLI) Law provides that no person shall operate, register, or maintain registration of a motor vehicle designed to be used on a public road or highway unless it is covered by a liability insurance policy. The law was passed to protect consumers when they are involved in an accident.

So it seems that you are not familiar with the law, and if you have been canceling your insurance while registered then you are in violation of the law as you would be in NC. Furthermore, some of the examples you give like a camper trailer, do not require liability insurance. It's the same in both states. This applies to any trailer, boat trailer, etc.

If this isn't your state, then let us know what state you are talking about. Otherwise, you really have no point to make.
You are correct that I live in Alabama. The camper we own is actually a motorhome ... sorry that wasn't as clear as it should have been.

As for familiarity with the law, I am familiar with it. When I contacted the insurance company to cancel the insurance on the two vehicles mentioned earlier, the agent brought up the MLI Law. However, when I contacted the state DMV, I was told that as long as those vehicles are not on the road (which they aren't, as we live on acreage so they are parked off of the street), it would be fine to cancel the insurance when not in use. If there were ever any concerns, we can sign an affidavit and have it notarized confirming that the vehicles weren't in use during their time of being non-insured. On that note, I also realize we could be dishonest ... but we choose not to be.

Like I said before, I have no problem with insuring our vehicles when they are going to be on the road. I just don't want the extra expense of insuring something that is not going anywhere any time soon.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Just because you violate a law (many and most laws) doesn't mean you get away with it because you aren't caught at the time.
To be fair, aren't most minor motor vehicle infractions treated in some form by "fixing it makes it go away"? Example, headlight/taillight out, out of inspection, etc etc.?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:44 PM

475 posts, read 900,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
To be fair, aren't most minor motor vehicle infractions treated in some form by "fixing it makes it go away"? Example, headlight/taillight out, out of inspection, etc etc.?
You have a point if looking at a lapse in coverage as a failure to comply that is not a moving violation .But the greater concern for me and most likely the state is the economic hardship one would suffer it involved in an accident with someone that did not have insurance. Not only would they not have the insurance they also may not get much with a lawsuit since those that lapse usually have a lower income.And you can't collect money that doesn't exist.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
I dealt with this myself when I lived in NC. I switched insurance carriers. My old carrier notified the state of my cancellation, but I'm sure that the new carrier also notified them. Instead, I received a nasty gram in the mail stating I will have to pay a fine because I do not have insurance. Luckily a phone call was able to clear it up.

My parents own several vehicles. Their insurance company only allows three vehicles per policy, so they had three vehicles on one policy and one vehicle on a second policy. They sold one vehicle, so the fourth vehicle was merged into the first policy. They also received a nasty gram about the insurance, even though the vehicle never became uninsured.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
.... However, when I contacted the state DMV, I was told that as long as those vehicles are not on the road (which they aren't, as we live on acreage so they are parked off of the street), it would be fine to cancel the insurance when not in use. If there were ever any concerns, we can sign an affidavit and have it notarized confirming that the vehicles weren't in use during their time of being non-insured. On that note, I also realize we could be dishonest ... but we choose not to be.....
Well good look with that. It's clear you are breaking Alabama state law, and if they do catch you, then like NC, your signed affidavit or anecdotes about speaking to a DMV employee won't be a defense. I don't know if the penalities are the same in Alabama, but it's not something I'd want to test.

You better check again.

As to your original points about NC and it's laws, it seems that you based it on ignorance of the laws of the land. Hopefully you learned something about both states as a result of coming here.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
You have a point if looking at a lapse in coverage as a failure to comply that is not a moving violation .But the greater concern for me and most likely the state is the economic hardship one would suffer it involved in an accident with someone that did not have insurance. Not only would they not have the insurance they also may not get much with a lawsuit since those that lapse usually have a lower income.And you can't collect money that doesn't exist.
NC requires under & uninsured motorist coverage. You should purchase the amount you feel covers you. Insurance is to cover YOU. Like I said above in this sue happy age it's become "what can I get from the other guy" but that isn't really my #1 concern (although for some it is, that's for sure).

NC only requires 25/50 or 30/60 coverage IIRC. How far does that go in todays day and age?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM

35 posts, read 58,685 times
Quote:
I know someone who was recently pulled over by a police officer for something relatively minor (such as having a tail light out) back in the month of March 2014. In the course of "running the plates" it was discovered that the driver's automobile insurance had briefly lapsed in November 2013, however four days later (after payday), she was able to get it going once again. Because of that four-day lapse [several months before], the officer who pulled her over was legally able to remove her license plates from her vehicle and have them destroyed. She had to leave her car parked until a friend could tow it to a safe location and she was not able to get her license plates replaced until a 30-day waiting period had passed, meaning that she was unable to drive her vehicle during this time.

This action created it's own hardship (due to the fines and fees that resulted), but it was nonsensical that the state would also confiscate her license plates, leaving her unable to drive back and forth to work so she could earn money to pay the penalties, get a new inspection and purchase new plates.

In calling state offices in effort to help my friend, I was told that the law in NC is that a licensed vehicle must have insurance (yes, that I understand) and that any lapses or cancellations on the insurance during that year will result in plate confiscation, fines and associated fees.
It seems that everyone who has taken the time to comment on this thread is in complete agreement that a motor vehicle, when operating on the road, is required to have insurance ... and should have insurance. On that note, I suppose that if my friend (who WAS insured at the time of being pulled over) had just received a ticket and admonishment for the four-day lapse months earlier, it would have been less of a contentious issue. However, the point that makes the least amount of sense in all this is the fact as outlined in bold font above.

Why is the state able to confiscate plates on an INSURED vehicle and force an INSURED individual to be without transportation for a 30-day waiting period?

Before someone says that plate confiscation is 'necessary' for whatever reason, let's just say fine ... still there is the question of the 30-day waiting period (which creates a very real hardship for those without the luxury of more than one vehicle). What is that all about? People have to work, some people have children to tend to, some people have medical issues and the list of reasons people need a vehicle goes on...

Why can't a person just go to the DMV the next day with their proof of insurance, pay the fines, get a new plate and be done with it?

Last edited by boncar; 07-19-2014 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Why can't a person just go to the DMV the next day with their proof of insurance, pay the fines, get a new plate and be done with it?
You can. They will clear it up for you. Obviously your friend didn't do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina