Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times

Advertisements

I was born in Raleigh but have lived in Ohio since I was 7 years old, I'm 32 yrs old now. I have moved to Tampa and back within the past 5 years, as there was no "community" and we have two young children. I have lots of family in NC and my hubby and I, who is from FL, are seriously considering moving to NC. I need some advice though. We want to move somewhere where the schools are excellent, crime rate low, affordable housing (we will probably rent at first) and close to a city. I am an RN, my husband holds his fire cards and is a basic EMT. I have researched some towns and have found on many sites that Morrisville as well as Mooresvile are great places to raise a family. Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
How close would you like to be to a city? Would you want to live outside of the "big" city and live in a suburb? Raleigh is obviously a good choice...great schools (relatively speaking), pretty major healthcare industry and very tolerable crime rate. Many suburbs in the RDU metro seem to be among the safest cities in North Carolina, including Cary, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Apex, Wake Forest,Garner, Mooresville....you have a lot of options! Holly Springs too far for you? Have you considered the Charlotte metro?

http://www.safewise.com/blog/50-safe...orth-carolina/

Old 07-27-2014, 05:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swages29 View Post
I was born in Raleigh but have lived in Ohio since I was 7 years old, I'm 32 yrs old now. I have moved to Tampa and back within the past 5 years, as there was no "community" and we have two young children. I have lots of family in NC and my hubby and I, who is from FL, are seriously considering moving to NC. I need some advice though. We want to move somewhere where the schools are excellent, crime rate low, affordable housing (we will probably rent at first) and close to a city. I am an RN, my husband holds his fire cards and is a basic EMT. I have researched some towns and have found on many sites that Morrisville as well as Mooresvile are great places to raise a family. Any thoughts??
Mooresville is in the Charlotte metro.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:25 PM

31 posts, read 46,715 times
I'm a native of NC and have lived all over this state at one point or another. Here's my insight on NC living and maybe in the process I can help you with your dilemma.

I lived in Charlotte for a while and I've been to Concord. It's not a bad spot. You're near lakes and not far from the mountains. Great shopping and employment opportunities. Charlotte is awesome, but it's schools are becoming inundated by illegals, so keep that in mind for your child.

If you lean a little left in your thinking, Asheville is a great place to live. Not that they don't except conservatives, it's just a Mecca for those who drink from the left side of their glass of Kool-Aid. lol. Still, a great spot and beautiful.

I would recommend any place west of Raleigh unless you live at the coast. Eastern NC, especially northeastern NC, is a very depressed area except for some bright spots such as Greenville, New Bern or Washington. But they are relatively small cities.

Greenville, Raleigh, Durham all have large and major hospitals. there are many such place sin NC. Some of the best in the world.

Wilmington and central / southern coastal areas are very nice, laid back, friendly and good schools. I lived on Topsail Island for 4 years and loved it. It's a little pricey at the coast though and always the threat of those pesky hurricanes, but natives are used to it and can talk you through it. I've lived in Edenton, and it's is near Ahoskie and a beautiful small town, but it's limited as to shopping and schools. Small town America.

Raleigh is nice, lots of shopping and jobs, very hectic traffic at times though, but you may be used to that. Many diverse peoples and reasonably priced. Centrally located, you're just a leisurely drive away from the mountains or the coast. Their are many suburban areas to choose from there. Greensboro/High point area is also very nice.

Know this, North Carolinian's, for the most part, are very friendly and charitable people. Almost everywhere in this state is beautiful and quiet compared to many places in the northeast of the USA. Plus!! Our Bar-B-Que here in the eastern part of the state is the best in the world.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina