Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times

Advertisements

RedZin - It's so hard to argue with, and educate a closed-mind! You have my sympathy and admiration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post

If you have to fill out a piece of paper to get something it is not a right, it is a privilege or benefit.

Quote:

Except that now marriage is a "fundamental right"

Have you heard of a piece of paper called a marriage license? You have contradicted yourself as you make up this nonsense. You can't have it both ways.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:05 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
High comedy, indeed!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If you think they're just ordinary folk, why do you think allowing them to marry will open the door for all kinds of less mainstream behavior such as polygamy and marriage of close relatives?

I mean, allowing ordinary folk to marry, should be a no brainer.
Because the definition of marriage can be changed now by whichever group screams the loudest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
RedZin - It's so hard to argue with, and educate a closed-mind! You have my sympathy and admiration!
Oh I see, because I don't think like you I have a closed mind. Yours is the superior intellect right? Where is that tolerance I keep hearing about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Have you heard of a piece of paper called a marriage license? You have contradicted yourself as you make up this nonsense. You can't have it both ways.
The courts are the ones who stated marriage is a fundamental right in their recent decision and I was quoting them. I have always maintained that marriage was a privilege granted by the state and continue to get shouted down for thinking that. I had to ask permission from the state to get married as did many of you. That doesn't sound like a fundamental right to me.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
How many times can the same people make the same comment?

I admire *everyone's* tenacity... really. But for goodness' sake, stop.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Because the definition of marriage can be changed now by whichever group screams the loudest.
And that's just about always has been the case. Nothing new. Bigots screamed pretty loudly to limit marriage among certain racial groups. Civil rights activists screamed loudly in the '60s and got those laws revoked. People screamed to have couverture removed, marital rape made illegal, no-fault divorce to be granted, etc., etc., etc.

Quote:
Oh I see, because I don't think like you I have a closed mind. Yours is the superior intellect right? Where is that tolerance I keep hearing about?
Ah the infamous cry to tolerate intolerance. All the same, it's a strawman.

Quote:
The courts are the ones who stated marriage is a fundamental right in their recent decision and I was quoting them. I have always maintained that marriage was a privilege granted by the state and continue to get shouted down for thinking that. I had to ask permission from the state to get married as did many of you. That doesn't sound like a fundamental right to me.
And you've been wrong. Over and over and over again we've gone over this, Braddy. Let's try one more time though. I'll hope against hope that THIS time it'll sink in. The Supreme Court of the United States of America has ruled repeatedly since the late 19th century that marriage is a fundamental right. Period. Done. End of story. Yes, you have to ask permission from the state to do so because in certain cases the State does have a fundamental interest in ensuring that right isn't abused. They want to make sure you aren't committing incest. That both parties can give consent. That you aren't committing bigamy. All the litigation and decisions by multiple jurisdictions is saying is that denying the right to marry based on a couple being of the same gender violates equal protection. Just as at one time the Courts found that denial of the right to marry based on racial grounds or criminal background or owing child support obligations violated the equal protection clause.

There are other rights you have to apply to the state to exercise that don't make them any less of rights. The right to vote, for instance. I have to register to vote and, presumably, the state can reject my application if I'm a felon, if I'm already registered in another locality, or if I'm not of age. Or the right to bear arms. You have to go through NICS and a waiting period. Both suffrage and gun ownership are rights, the same as marriage.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:52 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
The United States Supreme Court first stated that marriage was a fundamental right in 1888. They have repeated this 13 times in the decades since. The facts and history are not on your side.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:36 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Ah the infamous cry to tolerate intolerance. All the same, it's a strawman.
Disagreeing with a lifestyle is not intolerance. Refusing to even consider someone's opinion, telling them they have no right to speak and accusing them of being closed-minded because of political differences is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
And you've been wrong. Over and over and over again we've gone over this, Braddy. Let's try one more time though. I'll hope against hope that THIS time it'll sink in. The Supreme Court of the United States of America has ruled repeatedly since the late 19th century that marriage is a fundamental right. Period. Done. End of story.
And which constitutional amendment followed these rulings? Where is the right to marry codified in federal or state law?

Last edited by RedZin; 07-30-2014 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: No.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:58 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
And which constitutional amendment followed these rulings? Where is the right to marry codified in federal or state law?
This is where actually reading the court opinions might help you, Bradford, instead of, you know, just rushing to conclusions. Nice to see thought that you're finally recognizing what myself and others have said in the thread about the right to marry not being a new invention.

To answer your question: The Due Process clause of the 14th. Let's take a look at a relevant paragraph from Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390, 399 (1923) (Emphasis mine. Also, see how nice I am - I'm even telling you where/how to find the opinion to read in full yourself!):

Quote:
The problem for our determination is whether the statute as construed and applied unreasonably infringes the liberty guaranteed to the plaintiff in error by the Fourteenth Amendment. "No State shall . . . deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

While this Court has not attempted to define with exactness the liberty thus guaranteed, the term has received much consideration and some of the included things have been definitely stated. Without doubt, it denotes not merely freedom from bodily restraint but also the right of the individual to contract, to engage in any of the common occupations of life, to acquire useful knowledge, to marry, establish a home and bring up children, to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience, and generally to enjoy those privileges long recognized at common law as essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men. Slaughter-House Cases, 16 Wall. 36; Butchers' Union Co. v. Crescent City Co., 111 U.S. 746; Yick Wo v. Hopkins, 118 U.S. 356; Minnesota v. Barber, 136 U.S. 313; Allgeyer v. Louisiana, 165 U.S. 578; Lochner v. New York, 198 U.S. 45; Twining v. New Jersey, 211 U.S. 78; Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R.R. Co. v. McGuire, 219 U.S. 549; Truax v. Raich, 239 U.S. 33; Adams v. Tanner, 244 U.S. 590; New York Life Ins. Co. v. Dodge, 246 U.S. 357; Truax v. Corrigan, 257 U.S. 312; Adkins v. Children's Hospital, 261 U.S. 525; Wyeth v. Cambridge Board of Health, 200 Mass. 474. The established doctrine is that this liberty may not be interfered 400*400 with, under the guise of protecting the public interest, by legislative action which is arbitrary or without reasonable relation to some purpose within the competency of the State to effect. Determination by the legislature of what constitutes proper exercise of police power is not final or conclusive but is subject to supervision by the courts. Lawton v. Steele, 152 U.S. 133, 137.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Disagreeing with a lifestyle is not intolerance. Refusing to even consider someone's opinion, telling them they have no right to speak and accusing them of being closed-minded because of political differences is.

You seem to think that being gay is something people choose to be. Why else call it a "lifestyle?"

It's just a life.

You are male. If people disagreed with your being male and wanted to deny you tax benefits, rights of survivorship, and the freedom to marry based on your being male, all while demeaning your maleness to a "lifestyle choice," would you not find that insulting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina