Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 02:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Those legal right could have been handled via other means such as powers of attorney, wills, Five Wishes, guardianship, etc.
WRONG. Many rights CAN NOT be done through wills, only "family" need apply. Inheritance rights where anything left to the legal spouse is tax-free. Law that prevent a spouse from testifying against another. Insurance rates that charge you less if you are "married" than if you are "single". Social Security which can be collected by a spouse but not a "domestic partner". Even funeral arrangements defer to the nearest FAMILY member, which might be a 4th-cousin if the closest other person is a "civili unionee".

Learn your law, kemosabe.

Quote:
You don't think churches are going to be forced to perform gay marriage ceremonies under threat of a lawsuit?
No, I do not. Churches already have their own rules not dictated by law. Many Catholic churches, for example, require divorced people to get an "annulment" from their ex-spouse in order to marry in the Catholic church. This has nothing to do with civil law, just church tradition.

Quote:
I'm being forced to accept a lifestyle I disagree with. I'm being forced to cede control of my view of history to Progressive groupthink. I am forced to walk on eggshells around a "more equal than others" protected class of people and their supporters.
You're not being forced to accept ANYTHING. You're not being forced to walk on eggshells. There are plenty of things I don't like about the world, and some of its people, but I am not "forced" to accept them even if those things are legal. It's legal to pick juicy boogers out of your nose and slurp them down in public, but nobody is "forced" to "accept" it when someone does so.

There is no such thing as "more equal than others". This implies that gay people would somehow have rights NOT available to heterosexuals; please cite some. You are still free to dislike homosexuality and gay people, and even to rant and rave on internet boards against them. You claim that "being called a homophobe" somehow brigs you great harm, but if your skin is that thin, maybe you need to go live on a desert island somewhere. Trust me, those gay people you see asw such bullies have spent their whole lives being called MUCH worse, usually starting in schoolyards, progressing to high school hallways, and sometimes by their own parents in their own homes. They managed to survive and so will you, even though nobody is trying to cause you physical harm, sabotage your relationship, nor fire you from you job based on your views.

I'm being forced to accept a lifestyle I disagree with. I'm being forced to cede control of my view of history to Progressive groupthink. I am forced to walk on eggshells around a "more equal than others" protected class of people and their supporters.

Quote:
What makes you think I haven't spent time around gays? Or worked with them? Or experienced their militancy in college? I didn't care if they were gay but I did care when they started acting like a-holes and using their orientation for an advantage.
I know plenty of straight people who act like a-holes, but I don't presume this is a fundamental trait of heterosexuality. I know plenty of black people who are a-holes, but don't presume this is a fundamental trait of being black. Etc.

So you knew a few "militant" gay people. You probably knew a lot more gay people than you think, you just didn't realize it because your confirmation bias tells you that "all gay people are militant and want to force themselves into your life and make you accept things you disagree with, and they chose to be like they are." All false.

As for "using their sexuality for advantage? Oh, that's a good one. Might we ask how?

you mean like heterosexuals use their sexuality as an advantage if they want to display affection in public without being scorned, yelled ata, or, in some locations, physically assaulted? You mean like the way heterosexuals announce their sexuality to the world by posting photos of their spouse on their desk at work, going on and on to coworkers about the hot date they had last weekend, or pressuring other people into "bringing a [opposite-sex] date" to certain functions?

Use it to their advantage, that's pretty good!

Quote:
Speaking of privilege, don't forget about hate crime laws. If you or I get killed its a local PD issue. If a gay gets killed the full weight and power of the federal government is brought to bear. Doesn't that sound like and advantage to you?
FALSE. Gay people get killed for all kinds of reasons that are not hate crimes. If a person robbing a bank shoots someone who is gay, that's not a hate crime and it won't be considered such, any more than if you were shot in the same situation. However, if a person is killed BECAUSE they are gay (like, chased down the street by kids yelling F--g F--ot with baseball bats), that is a hate crime. Actually it would also be a hate crime if (since you seem to believe in such a parallel universe) a bunch of "radical gays" ever chased a straight person down the street yelling similar things and killed them BECAUSE they were straight--guess what? THAT would be prosecuted as a hate crime, too (as it should).

When someone is killed BECAUSE of a demographic group they belong to Jews, racial minorities, sexual minorities), the law in most jurisdictions has decided that this is more grave than simply killing someone because they owe you money or are sleeping with your spouse, because it is more random and could happen to anyone in that group who didn't od anything to the shooter except BE part of a group he hates enough to kill. But hate crimes do protect non-minorities for the same reasons--a gang of blacks who killed a white person BECAUSE he was white would be committing a hate crime and prosecuted as such. A bunch of Muslims who killed somoene BECAUSE they were Christian, in the US would have committed a hate crime. Drop your persecution act and realize that you, too, could be the victim of a hate crime due to a demographic you belong to.

Last edited by Francois; 07-30-2014 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
If the U.S. Supreme Court refuses to hear further appeals from the anti Gay marriage groups, then Gay marriage will be allowed
to begin in Virginia and ultimately in North Carolina. The Va Governor and pro Gay marriage attorney general are not talking issuing licenses yet but awaiting the Supreme Court decision as the final word. None at this date can predict the decision of
The Supreme Court but it seems positive in VA for Gay marriage equality.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
I didn't realize I was required to seek out and get to know gays. I honestly don't know if I work with or associate with any gays and I wouldn't care if they were either. But you don't believe that so it doesn't matter.

Well I have observed 3 occasions where homosexuals in a work environment were allowed to violate company standards and policies without penalty. This went on for months at a time. The companies I worked for would not fire them because they were afraid of a lawsuit. If that isn't an advantage I don't know what is.

The "check your privilege" argument is code for "shut up, I don't want to hear an opposing viewpoint". Nice.
Brad, Brad, Brad. . .as a white heterosexual male, in this country, you have the ultimate privilege. I am a white heterosexual female & I am old enough to remember gender-segregated help wanted ads. I remember not being allowed to apply for jobs because I was born female. Because of that & more indignities I can not sit back & say nothing when someone else is being discriminated against.

I see no reason whatsoever to prevent gay marriage. If you want to base your entire thought process on the topic on a handful of militants, I think that you're selling yourself short, but that's your right & your business.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:39 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,427 times
Well I can't keep up anymore after 6 hours and I've already received some nastygrams via email. So since you all think I'm a big ol' lying redneck bigot I guess I'll leave on that note. I now have a little more insight into what happens when you disagree with Progressives.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,389 times
Quote:
Well I can't keep up anymore after 6 hours and I've already received some nastygrams via email. So since you all think I'm a big ol' lying redneck bigot I guess I'll leave on that note. I now have a little more insight into what happens when you disagree with Progressives.
It's so hard to be a martyr for the cause,isn't it?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Quote:
You get your butt handed to you when you claim that the right to marry is some new judicial doctrine, ask what its Constitutional foundations are, that you yourself wouldn't be protected by the very hate crimes legislation that you despise, that the entire LGBT community is united under the leadership of a few radicals, and attempt to pawn off recycled, out of context statements as evidence of some grand platform to destroy marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
It's so hard to be a martyr for the cause,isn't it?
And he's such an unwilling one at that. How many pages ago did he claim he was going to quit the discussion so as to not be "othered?"

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
If you're being harassed via DM, you should report it.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,126 times
Me thinketh he dosteth protesteth to mucheth.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Me thinketh he dosteth protesteth to mucheth.
Well, I couldn't disagree with him more, but he is allowed to post his views. If he really is getting nasty messages, I hope that he reports it. There's no reason for that. I figure if you can't post it publicly, you shouldn't say it.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, I couldn't disagree with him more, but he is allowed to post his views. If he really is getting nasty messages, I hope that he reports it. There's no reason for that. I figure if you can't post it publicly, you shouldn't say it.
Agreed, 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina