Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 11:06 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,344,000 times

Advertisements

Well, I am no fan of Governor McCory, but at least he is finally doing the right thing. I always suspected that he was much more culturally progressive than NC Republican politics allowed him to be. All's well that ends well, I guess....

McCrory Says He'll Uphold Gay North Carolinians' Right To Marry | WUNC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,280,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Well, I am no fan of Governor McCory, but at least he is finally doing the right thing. I always suspected that he was much more culturally progressive than NC Republican politics allowed him to be. All's well that ends well, I guess....

McCrory Says He'll Uphold Gay North Carolinians' Right To Marry | WUNC
Im sorry but McCrory knows that the US constitution trumps state so he just pandering. During his mayorship he didnt want Charlotte Pride held in a park but now it held for two days with big names performing like Leann Rimes and drew over 100,000 last month in the down town prominent street.

When he promotes legislation for EndA and other equality causes then maybe he will be different.

In other news.

A magistrate in Pasquotank County, North Carolina turned away a same-sex couple who went to the county courthouse in Elizabeth City yesterday to get married, according to a report from the Virginian-Pilot.
The official flatly refused to perform their wedding, stating that same-sex marriages go against his personal religious beliefs.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-14-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 01:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Precisely Garnet, my phrasing was precise. The Supreme Court and lower courts have said in a string of cases that government discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is essentially irrational and cannot even withstand the lower levels of judicial scrutiny. At the same time, the EEOC and other federal agencies are interpreting laws banning "sex" discrimination to also ban discrimination against LGBT people.
But you said we are a "protected class", and I'm not aware of across-the-board any non-discrimination clauses at any level of government (except in some states/cities) that put sexual orientation right alongside race, religion, physical ability, etc. Certainly, the state of NC has no protections like that.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,416,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im sorry but McCrory knows that the US constitution trumps state so he just pandering. During his mayorship he didnt want Charlotte Pride held in a park but now it held for two days with big names performing like Leann Rimes and drew over 100,000 last month.

When he promotes legislation for EndA and other equality causes then maybe he will be different.

In other news.

A magistrate in Pasquotank County, North Carolina turned away a same-sex couple who went to the county courthouse in Elizabeth City yesterday to get married, according to a report from the Virginian-Pilot.
The official flatly refused to perform their wedding, stating that same-sex marriages go against his personal religious beliefs.
Want to bet that said magistrate will be the new champion of the anti-equal rights crowd because "they" are going to try to force him into doing his duty as a magistrate? Reminds me a bit of that magistrate in Louisiana a few years ago who wouldn't perform an interracial marriage and wound up having to step down.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Oh, I think we will do it. Just not sure exactly when. We'll need to figure out a time when we can go to the courthouse and do the deed. We'll need to take time off work. I have no idea how long it will take to go through the whole process.
Apparently it is pretty quick--not even a waiting period. Friday evening, people were getting their licenses and then getting married immediately after (lots of volunteer clergy and others authorized to do weddings on hand). That's quicker than when I got married in California where it required a 24-hour waiting period between license and ceremony.

The only "wait" would be a long line of happy people to get the license!

Old 10-14-2014, 02:10 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,344,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
But you said we are a "protected class", and I'm not aware of across-the-board any non-discrimination clauses at any level of government (except in some states/cities) that put sexual orientation right alongside race, religion, physical ability, etc. Certainly, the state of NC has no protections like that.
Certainly, the US Supreme Court has not used the language "protected class" in an outright manner, but its reasoning and language had made it clear that they subject government discrimination against gay, lesbian, and bisexual Americans to heightened scrutiny, which makes it a protected class. Scholars recognized this reality way back when Justice Kennedy wrote Romer v Evans, but it was even more apparent by the time he wrote Lawrence v Texas. And last year's Windsor decision made it clear that animus, tradition, or prejudice against gay people or same-sex relationships can never justify anti-gay laws. The Ninth Circuit and other federal courts recognize that Justice Kennedy is using heightened scrutiny in sexual orientation cases and have explicitly said sexual orientation is a protected class. Most scholars and legal observers agree.

Supreme Court Declares Gays a Protected Class

Old 10-14-2014, 02:10 PM

613 posts, read 743,452 times
Sadly as marriage has been devalued marriage rates are continuing to new lows. Unintended consequences.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,396,360 times
Protected Class has a specific legal meaning when it comes to federally mandated race base & gender quotas (affirmative action). Over the years it's been expanded to include people over a certain age and veterans of certain wars (Vietnam). At this time, I don't think that Gays & Lesbians are on any protected class list as mandated by congress and signed into law by the president.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:53 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,660,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
The same sex marriage is a brand new thing and we have yet to see the consequences of this decision in our society.
I'm sure there were also people concerned about the consequences of the state's repeal on the ban of interracial marriages when that happened.

The only real consequences that will come out of this are: 1) those in businesses who cater to marriages will likely make more money due to an increased client base and 2) in several years, most people won't even give the gender of two married individuals a second thought.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,416,465 times
Judge Osteen has ruled to allow the Legislature's intervention in Fisher-Borne and Gerber and Berlin. Osteen noted, however, that he concurred with Cogburn's ruling in General Synod of the United Church of Christ and that the marriage ban should have been struck down. He also dismissed Fisher-Borne and Gerber and Berlin as moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina